Feeds

back to article Rover spots 'possibly artificial' MYSTERY SHINY OBJECT on Mars

Martian nuclear tank Curiosity has spotted a bright metallic-looking object sparkling on the planet's surface as it went in for its first soil sample, which could be a piece of the robot rover itself. Curiosity's first scoop also shows bright object The rover was scooping sand for the first time with its robotic arm when its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Terminator

Look, Sir droids!

Has to be

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Look, Sir droids!

Look! A penny!

This is what you get for outsourcing robot construction to Whirlpool.

Anonymous Coward

Mmmm

My money would be on explosive bolt debris from the landing which got hung on on the rover and has just fallen off during the scoop process.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Mmmm

"My money would be on explosive bolt debris from the landing which got hung on on the rover and has just fallen off during the scoop process."

More than likely. Or some debris that was blasted this far when it landed.

Anonymous Coward

You mean the explosive bolts that were not used anywhere in the descent mechanism which has been extensively described in any number of sources?

Childcatcher

My money ... would be on a typical US contractor build: bits drop off everywhere.

JDX
Gold badge

It certainly is unnaturally square.

That will keep Apple happy.

Bronze badge

You dodged a lawsuit there over a keyboard.... luckily, I can rinse this one out...

;)

Sounds like you have experience of rinsing out keyboards....got your own cubical where you work have you?

:-)

Bronze badge
Pint

Nope. Do some work in what amounts to a tropical rain forest, things get wet, even my badass Elitebook.

;)

WTF?

Is it just me

Or does it look like there are bits of wire on Curiosity that are twisted together, insulated with Sellotape and zip-tied down?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me

There are certainly some braided cables. Can't tell if its Sellotape, or some other transparent thin film.... Like-wise, can't tell if there are zip-ties, or something else performing the same function. Zip-ties were originally developed for holding cable looms in aircraft, so wouldn't be too out of place here- even of if most of us encounter them in dusty bag in the garage.

Bronze badge

Would be Nasatape (TM?), not Sellotape. The glue on the regular stuff would freeze.

Happy

Yup, simple ties using simple knots.

I read an article somewhere about how the loyal order of knotologists were happy that the simplest knot was being used on something so advanced; and then the article went into detail about how this particular knot would spread out the pressure across a larger area, compared to other knots.

Ah, here we go: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4028.0

Oh, and it was the International Guild of Knot Tyers :-)

Silver badge
Happy

Stumbling upon these dusty corners of the internet makes me remember what a wonderful thing it really is :)

Bronze badge
Boffin

Probably Kapton with its distinctive yellow/gold colour, rather neat stuff for working with electronics as it doesn't melt when touched with a soldering iron and the stickytape version doesn't leave residue when peeled off.

Anonymous Coward

And to think, only just a few years ago, the whole internet was green fields and boundless meadows, interspersed with gems like this in dusty corners. But alas, now it's all been concreted and paved over by the likes of Amazon, Google and Facebook.

Silver badge

C'mon lyrictards, can we have a verson of Big Yellow Taxi?

Look sir! Droids!

Pretty sure we can safely identify the source of this mystery piece of metal...

Silver badge
Devil

Litterbugs!

Silver badge

In our dreams. :)

Though it would be lovely. Now where's my tinfoil hat?

Silver badge

Re: In our dreams. :)

buried in a few inches of Martian 'soil', it would appear.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: In our dreams. :)

See icon.

Silver badge

Is it that mysterious?

Curiosity had a complex multistage landing involving heatshields, parachutes, explosive bolts, landing engines, with various separations and jettisons en route. It wouldn't be surprising at all for bits of foil and other junk to be scattered all over the vicinity.

Holmes

Re: Is it that mysterious?

No, not really that mysterious. Yes, it probably is from the craft or the landing as it's presently only about 500m away from the landing zone.

From NASA's own press release it's more a case of stopping the soil sampling while they work out if it's going to have any impact on the results.

However, "Oh my God! Aliens!" gets more page views*.

* Having said that, the Register is being a lot more sombre about it than some news sources.

Alien

Hi-Res image

here http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/694811main_pia16225-43_full.jpg

looks like dirt in the sensor to me.

rvt

Re: Hi-Res image

Not dirt in the sensor,

here is a closeup : http://1.usa.gov/R1fZHt or here http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/msl/redops/ods/surface/sol/00062/opgs/edr/ccam/CR0_403005421EDR_F0050104CCAM01062M_.JPG

Anonymous Coward

Irony

To the average US tax payer, this piece of NASA's litter, is probably the most 'curious' thing found on Mars so far.

Re: Irony

Sad, but true....

Anonymous Coward

They will name this artifact....

........ Usain.

The last surviving martian...

...just about to get run over.

Silver badge

Curiosity

It's so new. And is already falling apart...

Silver badge

Re: Curiosity

Phht, like humanity would build intelligent robots just for them to sit and rust in a corner...

Silver badge

Re: Curiosity

Dunno... but that thing must still be under manufacturer's warranty. NASA should ask them to send an engineer and fix it or replace the whole machine free of charge...

Alien

Antenna

Its the antenna from a buried spy robot from Wolf 359. Now it knows that Mars is infected with life the robots will soon arrive to sterilise the solar system. The first sign we will see will be when Pluto & Charon turn pink. From then on you have mere days left.

Now where to I go to register a Cult?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Antenna

> The first sign we will see will be when Pluto & Charon turn pink

Oh No! I've just taken a photo of them with my iPhone 5, and they appear to be doing just that!

Crash Site?

Not part of a weather balloon then...

Gold badge

Is it just me..

.. or is it still seriously awesome that we get this quality of imagery from a planet so far away?

Meanwhile, I can't get decent 3G out on the sticks. Maybe we need some NASA guys to improve the design..

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Is it just me..

Or maybe you need an aerial the size of Jodrell Bank.

Oh, and I thought we established some weeks ago that the actual bit-rate from Mars was pretty shoddy. You may still be getting a better signal, but NASA have more patience.

Gold badge

Re: Is it just me..

I want patience NOW!

Oh, wait..

Alien

Actually

It is my 20 pence piece from when i visited there last month through my wormhole device.

NASA I want it back!

Silver badge
Happy

Puny humans

even our most technologically advanced robots still get distracted by shiny things...

Curiosity...

...is evidently the Black Knight of Mars.

Arthur: Now stand aside, worthy adversary.

Black Knight: 'Tis but a scratch.

Arthur: A SCRATCH? Your arm's off!

Silver badge

Here lies the sad remains of Beagle.

(see subject)

Silver badge
Joke

Could very well have been deposited by life alien to Mars...

We've sent enough shit there over the years!

Didn't we lose Beagle?

Silver badge

Yeah, but then NASA reckon they found it. Not in one piece, but they found it.

Seriously ...

This is NOT the droid part you were looking for *waves hand* ...

Does the Iron Chicken moult?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.