Feeds

back to article Mobile phone downloads now a blip on the radar: ABS

Downloads to handsets are growing fast in Australia – albeit off a tiny base – but still failing to make a dent in the Great Australian Fixed Broadband Data Slurp. The latest Internet Use, Australia report from the Australian Bureau of Statistics1 seems to demonstrate not a fixed-mobile substitution, but a change in mobile user …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

No....

"That’s because iPhone/Android/tablet users consume a trivially small amount of data"

Actually, it might have more to do with the fact that mobile data prices still suck big-time compared to fixed-line data prices. Or at least, they still do in Australia. If the price per MB was at parity, I think we'd see a more even distribution between the two.

Easily Explained

Mobile data is slow, unreliable and hopelessly overpriced. Data plans are accordingly low volume, and generally used when no wifi is available.

Now if only the ABS could focus on something a little less obvious, like how much coffee is consumed at the same time ...

Silver badge

Hardly surprising to us, though maybe a wake up call to all the companies providing "apps" just for the minority of Apple feature phone users. How about "apps" for Windows (and hell, Linux and OS X if you want)? No, not Windows Phone or Windows tablet - but straightforward Windows.

If there's a reason to be using an application instead of your website, then let me do so on my non-phone OS. And if not, then smartphone users might as well use the website too. (Though maybe Apple phones struggle with this? I never understand why they alone get "apps" when they're the least popular platform, perhaps they just can't run them well.)

"iPhone and Android users"

There are more mobile platforms than just two. Of if you only want to mention the most popular for simplicity, it's "Android users". (At 15-20% vs 65-70%, putting iphone on the same level as Android is highly misleading, and other platforms have done just as well as Apple, or better than over the years.)

~Posted on a Samsung netbook. Because you know, it's possible to use PCs in bed before ipads, despite what the media think~

This topic is closed for new posts.