Feeds

back to article I can't wait for Pano to thrust some hard 3D love into size-zero models

Around this time last year I reviewed Pano Logic's Zero Client Solution, a sort of super-thin-client set of kit. I was test-driving the company's first-generation hardware and a software suite two versions behind the latest release. I've now had a chance to review the second-generation hardware with its latest software, and I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

... that the protocol isn't published. That way when Pano goes bust (and it will do so eventually), the devices will become useless.

You can still use DEC terminals today, because they comply to open standards.

Silver badge

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something here

"hardware-accelerated graphics barrier, eventually providing workstation-class 3D graphics on zero-client hardware"

Excuse me if I am overlooking something, but doesn't virtualised hardware-acceleration require, ummm, some actual hardware to virtualise?

Is the virtualised 3D hardware you are envisioning living in the server or the client?

No server that I know of has much in the way of video acceleration and I sure wouldn't want to try and share video accelerator amongst hundreds of thin clients.

OTOH, if the hardware lives on the client side then surely it ceases to be a "zero client" (whatever that is) and becomes a glorified PC (albeit with minimal local storage) which is exactly how the Citrix & VMware solutions work.

I'm not sure you've thought this through properly.

Silver badge

Re: Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something here

Well further more graphics accelerators typically don't have protected mode and can access the hosts RAM... so having graphics acceleration in a user accessible manner on a server is a really bad idea.

Bronze badge

Re: Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something here

Yep, the server has one or more Remote-FX capable graphics cards populating some of its PCi-e slots (these arnt magic, just half decent Quadra or Fires) ... the server then virtulaises these amongst the clients... I cant remember the cards or stats, but for general arsing about you can hang a dozen or so VMs from a decent workstation class card under usual circumstances...

This topic is closed for new posts.