back to article Harvester garners iFans with first UK Passbook e-voucher

Harvester, the Mitchells & Butlers-owned Berni Inn de nos jours, is offering iPhone fans a fiver off a £30 bill if they turn up at one of the branded restaurants with a handset running iOS 6 and at least one other person, and do so before 20 October. Just don't use iOS 6's Maps app to find your nearest hostelry... The offer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GrumpyJoe
    Meh

Proprietary Vouchers?

Wow, the future has arrived - just think, before this we had to cut PAPER out of a PERIODICAL!

Check out my posting history, I'm SURE I'm getting more jaded as the years roll by...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow

£5 off a microwave meal, yum yum!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now all we need ...

... is for PassBook to have Siri call the A&E Department and tell them to have the stomach pump ready

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jobs will be turning in his grave...

I doubt he envisaged his fruity cognoscenti dining out at a Harvester...

1. Toxteth O'Gravy
      Pint

Re: Jobs will be turning in his grave...

Or, indeed, anyone with an interest in good food. Which rules out 99% of Brits, of course...

4. Steve I

Me?

Eating in a Harvester? With MY reputation?

1. ducatis'r us
      Joke

old old ad campaign

Q. hello have you been to a Harvester before?

A. Are you telling me people come here more than once?

5. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Trollface

Yup

I guess we've just nailed the demographic of the iPhone user base, right there...

GJC

6. Paul Webb
    Coffee/keyboard

Mere crumbs of comfort,

for actually finding the place.

Perhaps iOS6 Maps is actually a bonus here?

7. Only me!
    Joke

Money off to iOS6

Useless!!! Unless you already know where the Harvester you are going to eat is!

Of course you will find it if the local Apple store are having a meal out there with the blue shirt guys.

8. the-it-slayer
    Pint

Eh?

Harvester ain't that bad to be fair! Free salad n'all with a well done average meal. Caters for most who want a decent meal without paying loads, dont want to cook and dont want fish n chips. This is the same as being part of their e-mail list for student spongers who want a cheap meal. Won't hurt if you're in or out.

Most average towns in the UK don't have fine cuisine places unless you live close to a village that has a half decent bistro pub or have to trek into a city.

Anyway, Friday beer around for everyone because it's Friday! Cheers grumpy people.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Re: Eh?

Well, the few times I've used them, they were over-priced and served very poor quality food, cooked adequately but to a formula. So I only ever go there if there is no other option, or I'm with a group that have already booked a table.

Generally I can find much better food for the same price in any one of a number of independent restaurants within a few hundred yards, I find.

GJC

1. the-it-slayer
        Thumb Up

Fair enough, but I guess it depends on solely on the chefs working at the harvesters. But over-priced? Hardly. Never had a problem with the quality of food unless your top standard is Michelin star grade stuff. Then you're getting into apples and oranges comparisons.

Mixed grill is always good.

2. Chris Parsons
      Headmaster

What's 'salad n'all'?

9. Paw Bokenfohr
    FAIL

Are you *sure* it was the first....?

...because I got an Odeon voucher in Passbook the other day:

http://promo.odeon.co.uk/film30

...looks like you can still claim it too, and you can print it if you don't have Passbook.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

For some reason I read the end of the sub title as "iOS Loser"; I cant think why

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Android users, don't fear

You are catered for too. Not only do you have the superior NFC, but you can also use the short-term workaround for Apple's Passbook too...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.attidomobile.passwallet

1. Peter 48
      Thumb Up

Re: Android users, don't fear

damn, you beat me to it. Looks like with Android you still get to use this and have reliable maps to get you to the :)

The Odeon voucher works just fine, but the harvester one insists on an ios6 useragent, and I have yet to figure out a browser that supports it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Steve I
    Thumb Up

To be fair,

They're good places to go if you have young (5-10) kids.

13. OxyUK
    FAIL

Voucher didn't work, badly implemented promotion!

I have just been to my local Harvester in Bristol with some mates, and at the end of the meal costing £39 presented the waiter with the voucher on my phone, to get my £5 off.

The waiter didn't know anything about the voucher and where it had come from, so got the Manager. I showed the Manager this story and took him through creating the voucher on screen. The Manager said he honestly didn't know anything about the promotion, and any discounts that customers could get by presenting the voucher at the end of the meal.

The Manager was a good man and took the voucher code shown on screen, then quickly made a phone call to try and get to some more information on the promotion. He came back a few minutes later, saying he had spoken to several other Harvester units in the Bristol area. He said that none of the units had been made aware of a voucher promotion and if he were to take the voucher, he would really need it printing, not just a visual sight of it on the screen.

As a gesture of good will and not to look really stupid, he took the cost of our drinks off the bill, which equated to £4.70. He apologized for the problem with the voucher, and said he would contact his Managers to find out why he didn't know in advance about the promotion.

Note to Harvester HQ: If you are going to launch a nationally available promotion, allowing your customers to present an E-Voucher on their handheld device, in hopes to bring more people in to eat at your restaurants, for goodness sake please tell your staff about it and how to efficiently process them. So when they are trying to turn the tables in a crowded dining room, they have not got a table waiting 15 minutes for phone calls to be made trying to find out how to process them!

EPIC FAIL!!!!!!

</rant>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like