Motorola Mobility, the handset arm of the Googleplex, is acquiring Viewdle, the Valley-based vision specialist offering facial recognition among other things. Details of the deal haven't been released, but Techcrunch pegs the deal around $40m, and points out that Viewdle has been supplying Motorola with software for years and …
Wonderful, a new feature for the spy phone
Let me guess - it's not enough that a Googlephone, sorry, Android-equipped phone spies on any WiFi it comes near, it could now take the occasional uncontrolled snap and so help Google set up the next espionage effort? Maybe Google Homeview is actually on its way now (see Youtube if you missed that, it was a while ago on German TV).
Thankfully their EU data grabbing days may end soon..
Google already had the tech?
Erm, google already had face recognition tech and has been using it for years in Picasa.
I assume this more related to patents that the firm in question owns?
google also obviously has face recognition tech in streetview. This is surely more about patents.
Re: also streetview...
It only works on blurred faces though
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? No. It is the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Analysis iPhone 6: The last straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM