Feeds

back to article Pastafarians: Get your noodly appendages off that Facebook suspect

Greek Pastafarians staged a protest in Athens on Friday, days after a man was arrested for running a Facebook page that satirised a revered monk. The 27-year-old faces blasphemy* charges over a Facebook page that mocked deceased Greek monk Elder Paisios, using the name Elder Pastitsios (the name of an even better known Greek …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Thank goodness!

Finally the Greek establishment is willing to take action to address the state of the Greek economy by clamping down on pasta-related religious crimes.

So long sad times

Go long bad times

We are rid of you at last

Howdy gay times

Cloudy gray times

You are now a thing of the past...

Coat

Re: Thank goodness!

Of course they need to clamp down. This is revenge for the roman invasion two thousand years ago. No need to have that noodly stuff imported. They are encouraging the export of feta to improve the economy.

Ramen!

Anonymous Coward

I think you'll find that it's the current greek establishment who are taking their responsibilities seriously, it's a fairly large chunk of the people who want to carry on as things were, only paying taxes if they fancy it.

Also, not the disturbing rise of far right politics in Greece at the moment...

Anonymous Coward

That should have been "Note the disturbing rise of far right politics in Greece..."

Silver badge
FAIL

> ...only paying taxes if they fancy it.

Which has been pretty much that way for a very long time.

Funny how they only seem to be having massive economic difficulties over the last year or two.

Makes you think that this whole tax evasion thing is a bit of a scapegoat and that enormous over-spending by the government is perhaps actually to blame.

"Which has been pretty much that way for a very long time.

Funny how they only seem to be having massive economic difficulties over the last year or two."

In the past, the value of the Greek currency, inflation and interest rates reflected the tax evasion and a generally lax attitude to fiscal matters, providing limits to Greek sovereign debt and expenditure.

Once in the Eurozone, the Greek government were able to borrow money at low interest rates, set largely due to the EZ's largest economy, Germany. Once everyone realised that banks around the world were being run by a bunch of crooks and/or incompetents, they started looking more carefully at the state of the banks. It then became apparent that Greece (and several other countries) had amassed a lot more sovereign debt than they can hope to repay.

blasphemy

Oh those crazy Greeks with their blasphemy law.

Turns out blasphemy was still a crime in the UK until 2008 and remains a crime in Northern Ireland so maybe they're not the only crazy ones.

Silver badge

Re: blasphemy

True, but the last arrest was 20 years earlier and the last successful prosecution more than a century ago. It has been replaced by the Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006, it's debatable whether or not this is much of an improvement.

Silver badge

Turns out blasphemy was still a crime in the UK until 2008 and remains a crime in Northern Ireland so maybe they're not the only crazy ones.

So we got rid of a stupid law, and they enforced it, and that makes us as nuts as them?

Anonymous Coward

You're talking like having a chunk of humanity disappear up its collective anus would be a bad thing now. It's almost as if the founding fathers had the foresight to design into Christianity a pressure blow off valve to thin out the lunatics.

Silver badge

Blasphemy is also still on the statute books in Eire, and still, controversially, prosecuted. Sometimes it is necessary for this sort of thing to be highlighted to the right-thinking people of the world, to get things changed. Hopefully this case in Greece will be high profile enough to get the law altered, as it has been here in the UK, and to a lesser degree in Eire.

Silver badge

norn iron..... Noooooooo

(apply brain bleach liberally (both senses) until images of the fuckwit formerly know as paisley are washed away)

i know there is a paisly jr, and he is indeed an asshole of the first water, but he is as nothing when compared to his dear old daddy

Gotta love that phrase. Right-thinking people. Notice how they always agree with you?

Anonymous Coward

Without blasphemy charges Christianity wouldn't exist.

The charge of blasphemy is at the heart of how Christianity seperated from Judaism. This charge is made against the founder of Christianity. Check the charges at the famous trial. The first trial that is, before the Sanhedrin, not the second one before Pontius Pilate, where the charges are very subtly changed to suit the politics of the situation. The high priests didn't think the charge of blasphemy would stick with the secular Roman authorities, so they changed it to subverting the state when appealing for a death sentence.

Flame

Fuck you God, Zeus, Vishnu, Odin.....

Blasphemy is STILL a crime in the UK, they've jus re-branded it as "inciting racial* hatred".

*racial here being a euphemism for "religious nutter of your choice".

Much in the same way that we are not attacked by Muslim Fundamentalists, but rather by "terrorists".

Why can't we just send all the believers off on the B-ark already?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Fuck you God, Zeus, Vishnu, Odin.....

OrsonX: If you're the voice of reason, tolerance and general right-thinking, I can see why we need these laws.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Not half as bad as that terrorist Gerry Adams.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

He is right though...Get rid of the Muslims would mean most of the terrorists gone.

Anonymous Coward

Not speaking for Britain, but in the US at least, more than half of terrorist attacks in the past 2 decades were right-wing domestic terrorists like Kaczynski and McVeigh. Breivik in Norway would be a non-US example. Not Muslims. Muslims win on body count because of 9/11, but not by as much as you might think.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Re: Without blasphemy charges Christianity wouldn't exist.

That's one way to think of it.

Another is that Rome was a pretty brutal occupier in general and not particularly happy to have revolts.

Which one is more likely?

a) the subjugated religious authorities of a minor state compels the Roman governor to carry out a death sentence.

or

b) Said Roman governor, appraised of the existence of a Messiah whom many Jews see as a potential liberator from Roman tyranny, keeps the peace by any means necessary, which he likely was encouraged to do during his stint of enrichment in the boondocks.

Yay, then of course later it became all the Jews' fault. And we all know how that finished, do we not? Keep in mind, most (all?) of what we know about Jesus comes from the New Testament, not from historical, Roman or other, sources.

Black Helicopters

Um, you trolling, right?

That's what so dual about all this. Not calling the anti-abortion killers terrorists. Not calling the McVeighs terrorists. Think about that for a minute. No, of course, that's different, because that is just fighting the government.

What about the Rote Armee Faktion, the Jackals, the English natives that bombed the subway, the Spanish that bombed their subways? The Moluccans hijacking the train in the Netherlands in the 70's.

getting rid of the Muslims solves it. Yeah, right

Ignorance.

But so easy, huh? Point a finger at something that doesn't fit your frame of reference, or uses a religion (not yours, of course) to justify all these acts of violence.

Think about that hypocrisy when you vote in the US, this November. Don't forget to point out to everyone within earshot that Barack Husein Obama is a Muslim. And vote for that Mormon instead. Because at least that's a western religion, right? Those people would never resort to viol nce against their fellow Westerner.

Who you calling a right-winger?

Kaczynski was pretty much an anarchist and certainly NOT a right-winger.

Silver badge

"Not speaking for Britain, but in the US at least, more than half of terrorist attacks in the past 2 decades were right-wing domestic terrorists like Kaczynski and McVeigh"

In the UK it was mostly Protestants killing Catholics and vice versa. The body-count far outnumbers the Tube Bombings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_troubles

Yet oddly, it's only been since 9/11 et al that the Government seems to want to jump up and down on our individual freedom... almost like it's a convenient excuse...

Anonymous Coward

In the UK the vast majority of terrorist attacks have been pIRA or "Catholic". Of course you'll notice the inverted commas, they're about as Catholic as the people who blew up the tube are Muslim.

Sure you coil get rid of all religious groups and we'd get rid of some terrorists, but we'd miss others such as the RAF.

Your comment is utterly ignorant.

Silver badge
Unhappy

"Why can't we just send all the believers off on the B-ark already?"

Because we've got believers in charge :(

We can't kick the Muslims out until we have kicked the Christians out. I know there's no difference between Muslims and Christians, you know there's no difference, hell, most normal people know there's no difference; but one of the things believers are noted for believing is that there are good believers (i.e. them) and bad believers (i.e. everybody else).

Silver badge
FAIL

s/muslim/theist/gi and you might be onto something.

It's religion in general that is the problem, not one specific religion. Once you have successfully persuaded someone to believe something as absurd as "an invisible man in the sky is watching what we eat and who we have sex with", you can persuade them that said invisible sky man wants them to behave in ways they would ordinarily consider reprehensible.

Angel

Do we all want to die of a virus from an infected phone! Remember the problems that caused?

Oh the folly, will we never learn from history?

Silver badge

bollocks!

it's all made up, gullable fool!

Silver badge

lol

typical of _someone_ to go letting the facts get in the way of a good story!

Silver badge

"Why can't we just send all the believers off on the B-ark already?"

follow that train of thought... and by next year we can expect to be wiped out by a virullent disease caught from an iPhone 7

what _is_ six times seven?

'more than half of terrorist attacks in the past 2 decades were right-wing domestic terrorists'

Yes, but in Blighty our right-wing extremists don’t like to make such a fuss. They generally content themselves with sending a strongly-worded letter to the Daily Mail and renewing their subscription to UKIP.

Holmes

To be fair, American and Coalition forces win on body count. Not Muslims.

Actually, Chinese military vs ethnic Chinese and Tibet probably does a better job than the million or so killed in Afghanistan and Iraq so far.

What I'm saying is that Muslims are way, way down the list for folks who have killed other folks over religion, ethnicity or politics.

JDX
Gold badge

When does this feature in post-deathmatch-pub-food

Or whatever it's called?

Bronze badge

Time to break out

the Greek strategic reserve of hemlock.

I, for one, am touched by His noodly appendage.

Silver badge
Joke

Sir

By-Jimminy - I think he's got it!

Too soon?

Bronze badge
Windows

As a migit...

I'm happy to be held on earth by His Noodly Appendage.. However, no-one's gone for the IT angle, and looked at the undeniable relationship between the number of pirates diminishing, and the increase in Global Warming. Does this mean sunbed-makers should welcome our Somalian Pirate Overlords???

Silver badge

Great timing

Just before lunch so I can go to the supermarket get all the ingredients and have Pastitsio for supper. In fact, the more I think about it the more likely it is I'll sneak off early.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Great timing

Congratulations ... if you're boss reads El Reg, you'll either be screwed fro getting off early ... or you'll probably have to make extra. What does your boss know of your culinary tallents?

Silver badge

Re: Great timing @Michelle Knight

She knows enough to know she won't get food poisoning so no problem, I'll just have to make sure there are some leftovers.

Thumb Up

Re: Great timing @Michelle Knight

Heh, heh ... giving your boss leftovers :-) Great imagary!

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

"pastitsio" basically looks like a "what you have in the cupboard dish" combined with that on sale mince and bottle of sauce you bought while surfing the isles for milk.

Paris - because I can't see another appropriate icon but thrush comes to mind.

Headmaster

'... if you're boss reads El Reg...'

Grammar:

The difference between knowing your shit and

knowing you're shit.

Silver badge

>In fact, the more I think about it the more likely it is I'll sneak off early.

Have we discovered the root cause of the Greek economic situation?

Thumb Up

@Maty Re: Great timing

"...Grammar:

The difference between knowing your shit and

knowing you're shit..."

Ooh! —i'm nicking that one!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: @Maty Great timing

<AOL mode = "on">

Me too

</AOL mode>

Anonymous Coward

It is at times like this...

...that I'm ashamed to have Greek lineage. Blasphemy ... in this day and age.

"Oh ... I could smash a plate." to paraphrase childrens programming.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It is at times like this...

You're lucky. I've recently, through a marriage, become related to the French. Oh, the shame, hence anon.

Headmaster

** Surely the other way round

So far as I'm aware the only noodles with holes down the middle are suffixed with "doodles".

Silver badge

Re: ** Surely the other way round

You are wring (I believe)

Noodle Doodle was a person who actually went to a town with lots of straight spaghetti

He twisted it around and around and this is what you getty

Noodledoodledoodledoodle trains,

Noodledoodledoodledoodle houses,

Nooodledoodledoodledoodle aeroplanes,

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Noodle Doodle mouses!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.