back to article Nominet mulls killing off the .co from .co.uk

Nominet is seeking Brits' views on its proposals for slightly shorter .uk domain names with some layers of security thrown in. The non-profit company, which controls the .uk domain registry, hopes to introduce a new service for businesses called direct.uk that could, by ditching the .co and the .org from .co.uk and .org.uk, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Non-Profit...

But not, I suspect, no Salary. So if we can up the sales by flogging loads more entirely unnecessary domain names the money will just have to go, well, I'm sure you can imagine...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Non-Profit...

I work for a Nominet tag holder and (amongst other duties) am in charge of domain registration. I have filed my objection to the plans.

Childcatcher

Re: Non-Profit...

And they want to auction names where there is competition!

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

My first reaction was "No! I *like* UK's third-level domain name set up as it's easier to distinguish betwen entities", but after thinking about it, I think it could actually be better, or at least a useful alternative? If there's one thing that winds me up it's companies not adhering to the proper designations and signing up for .net or .org.uk addresses...

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: Hmmm

Bagsy f.uk, m.uk, y.uk and s.uk....

Stop

cash grab

They are just hoping companies will now have to buy .co.uk and .uk.

Silver badge

Re: "They are just hoping companies will now have to buy .co.uk and .uk."

Or alternatively, just buy the .co.uk and when someone tries to squat the .uk version, have it forcibly removed and get compensation into the bargain.

This is the UK, after all, and there are precedents.

Silver badge

Why ...

... did they decide on .co.uk in the first place, instead of .uk?

Silver badge

Simples

They wanted to get some structure into it.

For example in Germany I think most universities used to have *.dp.de with dp standing for "Deutsche Post", the German postal service also (back then) responsible for telephony and Internet.

I remimber seeing state-based second level .us domains, too. It just was an interresting idea way back then. If you have a hirarchical system you might as well code some structure into it.

Bronze badge

Re: Why ...

So they could flog all those first, holding back the top level, then release that for a higher price in 10-20 years' time once a high percentage of the decent .*.uk have gone.

Bronze badge

My understanding was that this was to be the global standard with .co.countrycode so .co.fr or .co.uk or .co.us Unfortunately .com was also available and most large companies went for that as their primary as they were global so the thundering herd followed suit.

WTF?

DNS is supposed to be a hierarchy. The existing JANet name system was reversed (quite literally in this case) into DNS. Technically we should have a .gb name space, but .uk was preferred against the relevant standard. Nominet did the right thing and used the hierarchy to set up a sensible name space, and manage it in a way that is genuinely better than any other country registry that I am aware of. Now they seem to want to throw that all away.

Bronze badge
Stop

Re: Why ... when it has unintended consequences

As we have seen, registering and using a .com domain puts you within reach of the US Justice system with respect to materials you serve up with it. You may, or may not, like this 'feature'...

Bod

Ditching of .co.uk?

"But it's likely that down the line"

I don't see anywhere this has been suggested, and quite the reverse they've said the more regulated short form will just sit beside .co.uk to compliment it.

So basically a company that wants to keep .co.uk is free to do so and I dont see that changing. Those who want to pay more for the short version with the 'security' features of it can do if the really want. End user is probably not going to care either way as .co.uk is as wired in everyone's minds as .com

Anonymous Coward

fc.uk

That was my first thought, too

..I wonder if this was lobbied for by French Connection just so they could get that domain name.

Re: That was my first thought, too

But what about all the Football Clubs?

Re: But what about all the Football Clubs?

I'm sure they'll come up with a .fc TLD before too long.

Thumb Down

bloody hell!

My god,

Can all of the registers please stop fucking around with the naming please.

Every bloody week there is a new money making scheme and it is just going to end up confusing everyone and of course end up with every company having to maintain vast libraries of registrations (yes I know thats the point).

is it time for the registers to be become non-profit companies? I think they've started to lose sight of their purpose!

I'd rather have

.en please

Re: I'd rather have

and a .sco and .crmu too?

Shotgun linux.sco for me.

"nd a .sco and .crmu too?"

that's rather up to them to ask, isn't it

Hardly necessary. There are no en who don't believe that they are uk anyway.

Gav

Who's "them"?

Bronze badge
Headmaster

I think they should be .alb and .cym

Bronze badge

Indeed. What will happen if/when Scotland votes for independence?

-A.

Should be .gb and not .en to be strictly ISO conformant

Anonymous Coward

.gb you mean

Anonymous Coward

England becomes richer....

Trollface

They decided on .co.uk etc. because...

The idea was that .co.uk was to be commercial, .org.uk was to be non-commercial (charities, non-profits, etc.), .ac.uk to be seats of learning (schools, highers, universities, etc), and so on, leaving police.uk, mod.uk, etc, available to the government. The thinking was that by having a .whatever.uk suffix, you'd know the site was here in Blighty. The problem is that it never really got that popular in the early days, and only when all the really good and fun .com and .org names were filched up, did folks begin thinking of the .co.uk and .org.uk domains. It's called "Snobbery", I think ;-)

Silver badge

Re: They decided on .co.uk etc. because...

Unfortunately, there was nobody policing the names, so anybody whether they were a company or not, was allowed to register a .co.uk address. I had a long email exchange with Nominet about what I regarded as a cyber-squatter who had registered a name that matched a company I owned (beating me to it by a matter of hours which was suspicious as I had used a 'free' service to check it was available before I tried to registered it myself), and who didn't use it, or even have a real name-server serving it for several years.

Even though mine was a limited company, which was set up specifically to be clever and have synergy with a domain name, and the person who had registered the name I wanted did *not* represent a company and was not using it, Nominet would not allow me to start an appeal.

It is partly my fault for being slow in registering the name myself, but it was amazing that as soon as I made an attempt to check it was available (and it was), it suddenly became unavailable. Oh well. All ancient history now, as is my company (I got fed up with the bureaucracy of running a company in the UK).

Anonymous Coward

y.uk

Anonymous Coward

£££-for-nominet.uk

Thumb Down

Not very well thought-through.

I'm sure there are more than a few situations where completely different people have xxx.co.uk to xxx.org.uk, and quite legitimately. So who gets the .uk and who gets booted?

Unhappy

Re: Not very well thought-through.

Me, for one.

I share my .org.uk with a (now unused) domain owned by Norwich Union.

As it's a three letter one, don't see being able to grab it any time soon.

Anonymous Coward

As soon as the .uk addresses become available, if you want it, grab it. If NU don't use the one they have currently, they may not be monitoring the .uk release.

Whoever pays up first.

Bronze badge

"As soon as the .uk addresses become available"

You mean, As soon as the .uk addresses become available AGAIN.

if you care to visit www.police.uk you'll see this is nothing new, and Nominet have actually spent a good 10 years trying to stamp out the last of the .uk domains.

Out of xxx.co.uk and xxx.org.uk xxx.co.uk gets it, .uk is intended to replace (supplement) .co.uk org etc are unaffected.

What seems wrong that someone with trademark xxx gets priority over xxx.co.uk

Anonymous Coward

You actually raise an interesting question. Should we ever actually get rid of the spongers north of the border, what will become of .co.uk, .uk? Will we get eng, .sco, .wal?

Me I'd prefer to see .yorks and be done with the lot of them

Can we go one step further

And have .syorks?

ADG
Happy

Re: Can we go one step further

I certainly know people who would pay good money for .wyorks or similar.

Sadly, it looks like there's not even a .ks TLD that we could piggy-back on. Best bet might be to register against Reunion's .re domain - e.g. ...yorkshi.re

Anonymous Coward

"Me I'd prefer to see .yorks and be done with the lot of them"

As a proud Lancastrian I'd second that! :-D

Re: Can we go one step further

I wouldn't settle for anything less than somethingsomething.fullPostcode.floorNumber

Bronze badge
Mushroom

The border in question being the Watford Gap?

Silver badge

Bad idea

Either a company with a .co.uk has to buy the corresponding .uk, or someone else grabs it and you have example.co.uk and example.uk which are different companies. Tricky enough with the .org.uk ones, but when both of the similar names are companies it will cause a *lot* of confusion.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Bad idea

"a company with a .co.uk has to buy the corresponding .uk, or someone else grabs it and you have example.co.uk and example.uk which are different companies"

Exactly, now cough up.

Re: Bad idea

if I manage to get tesco.uk their lawyers are going to think it's christmas. if I get your small business name without the .co and start selling the same stuff as you, will you be able to afford the lawyers?

Small business screwed again, just pay Nominet their protection money.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums