Feeds

back to article Iran: Sorry for the Gmail blockade – we were trying to block YouTube

Iran has restored access to Gmail and other Google services, but a block on YouTube remains in place. The Islamic Republic blocked a wide range of Google services last week in the wake of the controversy about the Innocence of Muslims, an amateur anti-Islamic film whose trailer was uploaded to YouTube. Surfers in Iran were left …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

"Iran has long harboured ambitions to develop a home-grown version of the internet that is free of any content deemed un-Islamic or otherwise undesirable."

i will simplify that, that would be about 99.99999999999% of content on the internet would be undesirable.

JDX
Gold badge

That sounds about right to me.

Anonymous Coward

It is all propaganda instigated by the US and Israel in response to the news blackout prior to the bombing of the nuclear facilities. The Iranian Government categorically denies any censorship of the Internet.

And pigs might fly!

JDX
Gold badge
Mushroom

<censored>

Silver badge
Joke

Missing

*we have asked the Islamic Republic for a comment but they are yet to respond.

***I have edited this several times as I did not want El Reg to suffer for my comment.

Bronze badge

So I guess all such media hosting sites will be on the blacklist very soon hardly an open society is it.....

Silver badge

Bah!

No such place as Burma. Says so in "The Curse of the Claw". And the Atlas.

Anonymous Coward

Axis of Evil

"Burma created something akin to an insular intranet two years ago, but other countries - however repressive - have not followed its lead."

What about North Korea ? No internet (one internet cafe and a few hotels using a satellite connection doesn't count) is a more efficient form of censorship than Iran's feeble attempts to block YouTube surely ?

Anonymous Coward

Poor Iran

First they took an article on "The Onion" as real and quickly had then had to delete their own article. Maybe they would be best not to be connected to the Internet, it will solve many of their problems.

The Onion article they took as real:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gallup-poll-rural-whites-prefer-ahmadinejad-to-oba,29677/

Anonymous Coward

Iran has more internet users than Belgium

..that is all..

This topic is closed for new posts.