back to article US gov on track to miss its own IPv6 deadline

US government websites will miss the deadline for transition to IPv6 on a huge scale, predicts a watchdog. Only 12 per cent of federal website domains are currently compatible with new internet protocol IPv6 according to the National institute of Standards and Technology. There are just two days to go before the deadline for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Chicken and egg

ISPs (at least here in the US) are not giving out IPv6 addresses, because

Certain applications-masquerading-as-OSs cannot correctly handle IPv6, because

The company that makes them cannot be bothered to release a fix, because

people don't care about IPv6, because

Websites don't support IPv6, because

People aren't using IPv6, because

ISPs aren't handing out IPv6 addresses, because....

I'm really surprise the cell industry isn't really pushing IPv6, especially for teathering - making teathered devices use IPv6 would reduce the amount of addresses they need and would reduce the levels of NAT they have to use.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Chicken and egg

Verizon Wireless LTE phones get a single IPv6 IP, and their LTE MiFis get a /64.

Bronze badge

Simple

Set up a software load balancer and just NAT IPv6 address to their current IPv4 equivalents. Its not solving the problem, but its easy to do.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Simple

Well it worked on your small office network so it should work everywhere else.

After all, all networks are basically the same and all requirements are met by this simple solution. I'm surprised nobody has ever thought of it before. They must be dumb all these Government IT people.

Silver badge
Pint

Defunded

In the US government you can set a deadline for anything but if congress fails to fund it then it will sit there forever. As we know, since the Republicans became the majority party in Congress two years ago, they have been working full time to implement their stated goal to put America back to work, generate jobs and restore the economy to it's former glory. Oh wait, I'm reading their campaign promises before the last election ... well surely they must have done something?

OK - let's try this, IPv4 is traditional, and Americans value traditional family values above all else, IPv6 is an invention of Godless communists who will use it to give every gun an individual IP address allowing every gun to be tracked by THE GOVERNMENT to make an end run around the 2nd Amendment. And anyway, Romney can blame Obama if IPv6 is not up and running on time - another typical "Big Government" failure.

The truth? IPv6 just isn't a priority and anyway, it's beer thirty.

Anonymous Coward

This is not unusual in the US Federal Government. I'm still waiting for my PIV (smartcard) ID for the agency I work in, and HSPD-12 (the order that all federal employees with access to facilities or IT resources have one) was signed by President Bush.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm still waiting for my PIV (smartcard)

Mostly the same in our office. IT Staff are actually using them for admin logins, but not for standard user accounts. They have been implemented for some other stuff like VPN. Last big obstacle: We don't have a working solution that uses it for Laptop Encryption software.

I'm REALLY looking forward to users coming to us about how to login when they forget their smart cards!

Silver badge
Trollface

f__k ipv6

A solution looking for a problem at least three years too soon.

Anonymous Coward

Re: f__k ipv6

Or: a tortuous solution to a problem that's so far been ducked by large scale NAT. It might've helped if they'd made IPv4 address map into IPv6, making for a much smoother transition...

Anonymous Coward

Re: f__k ipv6

They did!

And no. The problem hasn't been ducked.

Gold badge

It's called a proxy...

The excuse "federal IPv6 deployment has lagged due to a lack of support from government contractors who still use the old standards" doesn't fly.

It's called a proxy! Note they just demand that *external-facing* stuff is IPV6. So, if their gov't contractors are stuck in the 1990s, no sweat! A proxy can trivially be set up that will accept IPV6 connections and forward them to your IPV4 gear. Since it's just passing through connections, as long as you keep Windows Server far away from said box you don't need high-end kit either. Maybe I should come up with a box like this and charge the gov't huge sacks of money for them.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It's called a proxy...

Actually its an even bigger fail than that. I'm a contractor and I can guarantee you contractors don't decide shit in government. They are hired to implement, but federalles make all decisions about policies and what gets implemented when. Contractors just do as they are told.

Yes, you can officially mark me down as with the people who think any idiot who would make that statement needs to be taken out back and shot without trial in order to clean up the gene pool.

Big Brother

Gee I wonder what the consequences are...

Government mandates switch to IPV6. Government allocates pocket change, if anything, to do it. And it never gets done.

Thus, created crisis is *created*. As world runs out of IP addresses, government suddenly shifts into high gear, taking responsibility for rationing out IP addresses and imposing curiously draconian punishments for failure to follow their consumption guidelines (generously drafted by monopoly telcos) and registering your device(s) with their central IP agency.

Shift to IPV6 is delayed indefinitely as government talking heads warn that there are serious unresolved "security issues" with it (they don't mention that it's because it's more difficult to monitor everyone). Crisis continues unabated. Government octopus spreads further and wider, intercepting every Internet packet in order to "protect" our "limited resources" and keep commerce and banking functional.

One resource that seems to be limitless is funds for government octopus. Could have come in handy earlier. But hey, as long as we have this infrastructure in place now, let's secretly insert some "powerful law-enforcement tools" to it. So many protections! We're so safe now!

or

Government is just incompetent.

Scary choice, huh? ;)

Bronze badge
FAIL

Considering those choices...

If I get to choose between:

a) Government mandates switch to IPV6. Government allocates pocket change, if anything, to do it. And it never gets done....

or

b) Government is just incompetent.

I think the logical choice is b).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums