Feeds

back to article Dissolving silk electronics melt in your body, not in the hand

When it comes to electronics, boffins are usually going one way - how to make them smaller, faster and longer lasting, but a few researchers are going against the tide - looking for electronics that can last just a moment and then disappear. Boffins insert dissolvable implant into a lab rat At the University of Illinois, with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

>From the earliest days of the electronics industry, a key design goal has been to build devices that last

>forever - with completely stable performance

As opposed to the marketing goal which is to encourage if not force consumers to buy new kit every six months.

Gold badge
Happy

"As opposed to the marketing goal which is to encourage if not force consumers to buy new kit every six months."

Sadly *neither* goal has been fully accomplished.

Yet.

Big Brother

tags for all?

In the pictures - are those RFID tags? I don't know enough about this sort of thing to be sure, but I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of implanting RFID tags in people, even if they do dissolve over time.

Thumb Down

Re: tags for all?

Especially if they are so small that they don't get noticed. Could make smart dust a reality.

Warranty voided

If they make the electronics soluble it'll reduce their costs as they won't need a "got wet" sensor to tell us we've voided the warranty.

This topic is closed for new posts.