back to article McFlurry McMisdemeanour costs Welsh lass McJob

A 19-year-old Welsh lass has been relieved of her McJob after giving a fellow worker at the Llangunnor tentacle of the fast-food monolith an extra dose of chocolate pieces on a McFlurry. "Exceptional" employee Sarah Finch, of Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, was given her McMarching orders after responding to a colleague's request to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

IT Angle

Why?

Relevance lost on me :/

Happy

Re: Why?

Posted in Bootnotes, 27th September 2012 09:19 GMT

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/11/bootnotes_advice/

That's why.

TRT
Silver badge

I'm afraid this ElReg report is a sign that a McJob is the new career starting point for IT graduates. Any graduate in fact. :-(

Anonymous Coward

"You know of that young lady who worked at a McDonalds and got sacked because of a few sprinkles?"

"Hmm.... I am aware of the aforementioned claim for unfair dismissal."

"That's your new job, that is."

JDX
Gold badge

Never mind the "why IT?" issue, why is this even reported as news at all? McDonalds fires someone for not following the rules - bombshell.

Anonymous Coward

Clearly you cannot read.

Provide a link to the rules on how many chocolate sprinkles an employee should put on a McFlurry.

No?

Get it yet?

Anonymous Coward

Your maths

Just gave me cancer.

Oh boy, memories there! I wonder how many people here remember "The Mary Whitehouse Experience"?

Thumb Up

You see that (spits) that's your swimming pool, that is. Oooh look there's your mum.

Silver badge

I've got them all transferred from vhs!!

Still funny.....If old...

Linux

That's me that is.

What you can't see the relation to Microsoft?

i.e low quality crappy stuff for the masses, no where near as healthy/good as making (compiling) your own.

Microsoft are the Mcdonalds of the software world - the OS of Chavs.

Gold badge

I remember it when it was on the radio and TV. Punt and Dennis do the Now Show on R4 which is along similar lines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgt7

Silver badge
Flame

"The company's MD, Ron Mounsey"

I think I speak for many of us when I say: What a cock.

Anyone who claim that they don't scratch friends, co-workers and business partner's backs to some small degree in order to make life more pleasant for everyone is a liar: Whether it's fetching them a coffee, comping them lunch, or sticking a round of golf through on ex's somehow. And if a few choccy sprinkles is the price of ensuring co-workers make a shit job a little more bearable for staff, then it's a bargain.

Anonymous Coward

Except The Now Show is so desperately, teeth grindingly, buttock clenchingly unfunny. The only thing remotely funny in there is the input from the guy who's also on The Chase.

Any comedy where there's a second or two's gap between a "punchline" and anyone applauding (as the applause light comes on to remind them) needs cancelling and burying at low tide.

Of course on my other hand Samantha is outstanding...

Anonymous Coward

The Now Show is appallingly smug. Generally, they take the most superficial understanding of a news story, say 'What if...'? and then construct a short sketch to illustrate a point that wasn't funny in the first place.

The Mary Whitehouse Experience included Rob Newman and David Baddiel in addition to Punt and Dennis.

Baddiel has been irritating (Fantasy Football), though he has partially redeemed himself by presenting one of the only intelligent shows on Radio 4; "Four Thought"... a place for scientists, business leaders, academics etc to present a point of view for a quarter hour without being interrupted by that twit Quentin Cooper.

Boffin

I think this can be related to IT and any other postion/career.

The point is:

NEVER jeopardize your position/livelyhood for the benefit of someone else just to be nice. First reflect on whether the proposed actions would conflict with company policy first. The girl should really be mad at the employee and herself, not the owners. The employees are the ones who broke established company policy.

This is a lesson she should not forget anytime soon and it clearly communicates the company is serious about this policy.

Time to grow up kids... or start your own company and run it as you wish.

TRT
Silver badge
Windows

I have to admit that I spent a good few hours this week going through the archives looking for clips from old comedy shows that I used to enjoy after reading a comment someone posted on a Doctor Who forum which read simply "Today, I shall be mostly watching a cube."

Anonymous Coward

"NEVER jeopardize your position/livelyhood for the benefit of someone else just to be nice."

Please do allow me to thoroughly ignore your "advice" and not become a prick.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

McBastards

They know where they can put their McShite!

Anonymous Coward

Re: McBastards

As long as there are no McExtras on their McShites.

McShite?

That wasn't chocolate she sprinkled on...

Anonymous Coward

Not chocolate? Crystalised McPoo?

Anonymous Coward

Re: McShite

Isn't that the practise of nipping into McDonalds and using the facilities with absolutely no intention of buying anything?

The correct term is 'MuckSlurry'

Anonymous Coward

"That wasn't chocolate she sprinkled on..." ...correct, I thought that was their standard product.

My personal opinion of McDonalds products is that I'm better off throwing away the burger and eating the carton.

I didn't actually need another reason not to buy McDonalds, but this will do nicely.

That's right - and if you respond to a McEmployee confronting you about it with "I'll buy something after I'm done in there", it's a McShite With Lies.

Childcatcher

My personal opinion of McDonalds products is that I'm better off throwing away the burger and eating the carton.

I did actually do this once. The paper wrapper tasted pretty much the same as the burger it enveloped.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

I read the book Fastfood Nation back in 2002, I haven't set foot in McShitpit , Double-Whopper Dog-Burger King or Colonel Saunders Chicken Torture-Shed since!

These places serve shit masquerading as food, treat employees like pieces of crap they've found under their boots and don't give a monkey's toss about animal welfare at the backend.

Do yourselves a favour, avoid them all!

Silver badge

If, when questioned, about free toilet use, placate the employee with an false assurance of buying food when you have been to the toilet.

A MacShit with lies!

zb
Happy

In view of the headline I think you meant McSlurry

Alert

Posted Thursday 27th September 2012 16:13 GMT

cornz 1

If, when questioned, about free toilet use, placate the employee with an false assurance of buying food when you have been to the toilet.

A MacShit with lies!

why would that be a lie ?

the statement 'I am going to buy food' obviously precludes any purchase of any McGabbage product

Silver badge
Happy

McExtras?

McSweetcorn?

Indeed and if you get challenged for using hte facilities and not using them, it then becomes a McShite with Lies...

Anonymous Coward

Re: McShite with lies.

I remember when I lived in Birmingham the bogs had bouncers at the weekend to stop drunken revellers doing exactly this.

Must be the bottom rung of the door staff ladder.

Anonymous Coward

To be fair to McDonald's, this is a franchisee.

Bronze badge
Windows

"...Baldric..." strikes again!

Anonymous Coward

"I read the book Fastfood Nation"

Sounds like a paragon of English literature.

While I agree that the quality of McDonald's "food" deserves no comment from a culinary standpoint, I would not be so fast to condemn their employee treatment for one reason: the brand is a global franchise, meaning that although they bear the same name and sell the same food, individual stores are owned and run by different people.

Some of them no doubt are scum and we tend to hear about them on the news such as this instance but, although I have no personal experience, I would be inclined to think that there must be other franchisees who are supportive of their employees and treat them fairly.

Mushroom

Extras

It really is a bit shit as there is no standard measurement that I can see on how much they give you. I stopped at a drive through a few weeks back in the heat for a McFlurry and the chocolate serving was stingy to say the least. In fact I chucked half of it away as I didn't want to eat plain ice cream.

So McDonalds, it works both ways. I get cheated out of a decent amount of topping, yet the lass who tries to do her job properly gets fired.

Thumb Up

Re: Extras

Mr C Hill, you beat me to it.....

Certainly makes up for the useless bastards at my local McDogBurger's where the servings are usually wrong, incomplete or generally stingy. "I thought I ordered large fries, not child portion in a large box"

I worked in McBastards a long time ago and I could probably still do a better job than the useless morons in that branch.

Anyway, the MD of the Welsh outlet is obviously a c*** I hope the news of this locally affects his profits significantly and then the manager can be fired for gross misconduct of bringing the firm into disrepute - also in the manual. RTFM you tosser!

I feel she has excellent grounds for her appeal. She wasn't giving away food, she was giving away McDonalds.

Silver badge
Devil

Actually, all she needed to do for an appeal was to bring said chocolate pieces and a set of kitchen scales and demonstrate the difference between "normal", "stingy" and "lots". The chocolate used for such sprinklings is porous so the difference is not in "grams" as suggested by the register in the bootnote. It is in tens of milligrams (at best). If she puts a whole extra gram of sprinkling on top it form a layer.

Frankly, sacking someone for 50-100mg of chocolate is beyond grossly disproportional.

Mr C Hill: She got yours'

That is all.

IT Angle

A wonderfully acerbic bootnote, I was wondering what the IT angle was though.

I would not be surprised if Burger King or Subway or somesuch offer her a job, just to rub McDonalds nose in it.

Anonymous Coward

Re: A wonderfully acerbic bootnote, I was wondering what the IT angle was though.

The staff in Subway seem to be willing to go to exceptional lengths and spend quite a bit of time to make sure that the bit of cheese they put on your sandwich is only one bit of cheese.

FAIL

Mounsey sounds like

a complete prick.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Mounsey sounds like

Don't worry. Having been involved in a few tribunals now, I predict with some confidence the franchisee will be instructed to settle, or else she'll be awarded a couple of grand if she's lucky. Either way, he'll end up with more McMuffin content over his face.

Silver badge

Let me guess, even his after writing "Your smile is very welcoming." in her appraisal she still turned him down for a BJ, so he was just waiting for an excuse to get rid of her?

Silver badge

at worst they will need to pay twice salary and STILL get away with it. Small tribunals for this kind of thing is still shocking. The publicity will be a kicker though.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums