Feeds

back to article New I-hate-my-neighbour stickers to protect Brits' packages

From Monday the Post Office will deliver letters and parcels to the house next door if you're out - and hand out new "don't trust the people next door" stickers that will tell you at a glance what type of neighbourhood you're living in. The Post Office asked for permission for surrogate deliveries back in July, and following a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bod
Thumb Down

"I'm not at home, feel free to break in" stickers.

As after all, if you were in all day you'd have no need for such a sticker in the first place.

JDX
Gold badge

Yes thieves need a sticker to guess you're not in during the hours 9-5 when there is no car on your drive and the lights are turned off.

Devil

9-5 and your lights are on?

No wonder we are in a energy crisis! :D

Or the hallway light is on. That's a sure sign of 'I've gone out and left a light on to deter burglars'.

Anonymous Coward

It's people like you who think the world is full of peados and terrorists, you daft Daily Mail reading prat!

I can imagine most burglers knocking on the door making sure it's all clear before nipping round the back to smash a kitchen window. A stupid little sticker is not going to put Rat-Boy off from getting in, nicking your valuables and shitting on your kitchen table is it?! Christ, some of the nastier ones will happily break in when your safely tucked up in your pit at night!

Bod

No car

Train commuter who's left the car in the drive?

Two car lecy driving liberal (bought with that £5k grant) who's left the longer range guzzler for the weekends on the drive?

Sure there are plenty more reasons to pick your house than a sticker, but I'd be putting it on the shortlist as I walk or drive past the houses during the day.

Silver badge
Meh

TWO STICKERS PLEASE

With arrows on them!

Anonymous Coward

True

I once stood in my hall next to the front door when a 'sorry we missed you' card came through the door!

I ran outside and asked the delivery man why he had put the card through the door. He said he had rang on the bell but no one answered.

To which I replied, 'strange but we don't have a bell, we have a large cast iron knocker on the door'

He handed over the parcel.

Pint

Re: True

One time, my carrier walked around my open car door, around my feet sticking out of the door, and dropped a notice for a parcel in the mailbox, then walked around both my feet and my car door to get back to the sidewalk to go to the next house... Because the notice was for a COD package, I had to drive seven miles to the post office the next day, stand in line for a half hour, and pay CASH (no checks accepted at that time) for the package... I filed a complaint with the Postmaster, and got back a form letter saying the carrier had rang the doorbell (didn't have one, and the front door was 25 feet further from the street than my mailbox)... After that, I had any mail requiring a signature delivered to my office... which was the post office in another city.

beer, because El Reg won't give me a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon...

Childcatcher

"Trick or Treat" Posties

Yes, I get that a lot. Postie uses my letterbox as a door knocker (despite the big red arrow and sign that reads "This is a doorbell you're looking for, please use it, and stop destroying my letterbox --->", waits all of minus 0.3 seconds (as though people live directly behind their front door, just waiting for that moment when someone might knock on it), then sprints down the street at high speed, leaving me gawping and clutching onto a "Sorry we couldn't be arsed" note.

Now I suppose I'll be clutching onto a "Sorry we left your haemorrhoid ointment, sex catalogue and court summons with your busybody neighbour" note instead.

Oh joy.

Anonymous Coward

In Most

large southern cities, we have no drive, only street parking....you must live in the north

Out of Date?

Didn't he stop that crappy behaviour when his DNA could identify him from the calling card?

Anonymous Coward

Oh come on

How many times have you not answered the door because you were on the sh1tter?

FAIL

Re: Oh come on

How many times have you not answered the door because the doorbell didn't go, only to find a "missed delivery" note on the floor with your post despite the fact you were hovering around the door waiting for the postie to turn up with the new shiny you ordered and have been pressing F5 on the track&trace web page for the last 3 days...

Thankfully my neighbours are trustworthy, but not the best implementation. Just goes to show what happens when you take a universal service and allow competition on all the profitable bits while neglecting the unprofitable ones. That and the demise of handwritten letters in favour of emails.

Anonymous Coward

More like I've taken 15 seconds to get to the door as I was in another part of the house, and they don't wait long enough for you to get there..

Unhappy

@JetSetJim

Tell me about it brother... I've seen it in action, after "missing" a number of deliveries I decided to sit in my front room one day and wait... I saw the van pull up, I saw the guy jump out, I saw him walk to the mail box (no-where near my front door), I saw him shove a card in it, jump back in the van and drive off... best of all my digital camera saw the entire thing as well, and so did his supervisor.

Normally I take a dim view of dobbing, but he wasn't a postal worker, he was a courier and the goods he was delivering cost extra to be sent that way...

Silver badge
Facepalm

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1738962

Actually, I've not answered the door every time I was on the sh1tter.

TRT
Silver badge
Windows

Re: How many times have you not answered the door because you were on the sh1tter?

I've never let that stop me before.

Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing your parcel was being delivered by Yodel?

Happy

It's even worse for us, I have a camera on my front door and inhabit the attic, I can SEE the ones who run off in the time it takes me to rush downstairs, or drop a card as I'm watching before I start the mad dash. Miss it and it's a mile down to the local sorting office that has LONG queues, and shuts at 12.45.

Thank goodness that this neighbour drop off scheme is about to start, but I fear that most of them are usually out to work, and as I do most of my work from home, I'll be the one with the extra interruptions for their mail. But I'm fortunate to have neighbours who even assign one of theirs to stay in our home when we're away on holiday, so I won't mind receiving their parcels.

Thumb Up

I quite like Yodel, got back ~18:00 to find a note which had a mobile number on, asking me to ring it.

Gave it a ring and the bloke popped back ~19:00.

Silver badge

Yodel's tracker said they left a package in my porch (I don't have a porch) at a time when I was sat right by the front window. Then the next day (after a complaint to the supplier) they turned up and delivered it.

Silver badge

I now have security cameras in plain sight, I am hoping this will stop delivery guys from doing that in future!

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

How many times have you not answered the door because the doorbell didn't go, only to find a "missed delivery" note on the floor with your post despite the fact you were hovering around the door waiting for the postie to turn up with the new shiny you ordered and have been pressing F5 on the track&trace web page for the last 3 days...

I'm sure everyone's mileage may vary on this, but IME that's mainly a problem with "courier" services, not Royal Mail.

Anonymous Coward

Yep, on the shitter, or having a bath. Can't wait all day by the door for the postie and it's unpredictable when they are going to deliver. (I remember a time when it used to be before 09:00 or so, but now it's anywhere up to about 13:00 where I live.)

Wouldn't trust my neighbours. At least they have stopped putting it in the wheelie bin, unlike some private delivery companies!

Bronze badge
Facepalm

I have personally watched drivers (through my front window), get out of their vehicle with a sticky in hand, walk up to the door and back to their vehicle while never once knocking or ringing the door bell.

This has happened mainly with FedEx. The only thing I can figure is that the drivers filled out the "oops, missed you" labels ahead of time so they could leave early that day.

The 5th time it happened I opened the door as the idiot walked up, sticker in hand . I asked if I could have my package, he was a bit miffed but went back to the truck to fetch it.

UPS on the other hand has absolutely no problem just leaving thousands of dollars of equipment on the front porch, in the rain, when Signature Required was paid for. Grr.

Anonymous Coward

As I work night shifts, I don't want these parcel drop offs for neighbours while I'm trying to sleep. Even ear plugs don't help, our posties usually stay a while and knock VERY loud quite a few times.

@Christoph, another delivery company (can't check which one as I'm at work) left a package in the wheelie bin (albeit the recycling one) the other day. The day before the rubbish was being collected. Now if I had somehow missed this card, I would have just wheeled it out and been none the wiser. Package gone. Royal Mail also used to do the same in our area (even told the postie that I did not want that doing). Eventually they stopped, after asking people if they wanted that doing in the future.

Go

If you live in London, you could probably answer your front door whilst partaking in said Tom.

Bronze badge

@Larry F54

"I'm sure everyone's mileage may vary on this, but IME that's mainly a problem with "courier" services, not Royal Mail."

Nope, when I was a student, Royal Bastard Mail regularly left 'sorry you were out' notes for me when I was in. They pre-filled them and didn't even bother taking the packages on their rounds, just dumped them with the letters.

To be honest though, that's actually preferrable than leaving with a neighbour.

Bronze badge

I think it's mostly a case of the drivers trying to avoid unloading the heavy/large packages, carry them all the way to the door and then having to load them back up again. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the HDNL/Yodel typical strategy of dumping potentially expensive parcels in "a safe place", which is usually anything but.

Anonymous Coward

What to do?

I don't trust my neighbour, he is a psychopath and will refuse to hand over any packages to me which are left with him.

On the other hand i can't put up a sticker as he'll realise that I know he is a psychopath, and will probably put a brick through my window because of it.

Re: What to do?

ensure your sticker says "please deliver to (which ever neigbour isnt a nutter) not (which ever neighbour is a nutter), not that i think he is a psychopath or anything, definiitly not. Its just that i think he is quite busy, what with smearing his walls with feaces, and boiling what i assume is the other neigbours cats bones.

IT Angle

Order the items with his address.

They'll be left with you.

Silver badge

Is the "drop with neighbour" permission inherited?

If everyone in the road is out at work, bar the little old lady at the end, is she going to end up with a house full of boxes for the entire road (and possibly further if the delivery bod has the patience?).

Joke

Post him the brick? Then if he's out, you can accept the delivery and throw it through his window instead?

Anonymous Coward

@AC 12:55, totally empathise with you. A few of my neighbours are nutters, sadly, and spoil it for everyone else. One in particular is very weird and his girlfriend would probably just use it as something else to throw at him, which seems to happen regularly.

Anonymous Coward

Is he a politician?

Meh

that's fine she can start a new concept.

A small premises where the Royal mail and others can drop off packages for collection for a small fee.

perhaps she can sell stamps and accept items to be posted?

I think it would really catch on in rural areas. Surprised no one thought of it before it makes real sense for people to have to travel to some sorting office with poor parking and wait in line despite having paid for doorstep delivery.

Anonymous Coward

I read that as 'small penises'. It must be the time of day.

Bronze badge

One of the little cafes in my area actually runs exactly that scheme. For £1 a time you can get parcels dropped off there and then collect at your convenience. I've never actually tried it out, as I tend to favour the 'deliver to work address' approach, but it seems like a pretty good idea (assuming, I guess, it doesn't get so popular that the café ends up looking like a shipping depot).

Thumb Up

premises where the Royal mail and others can drop off packages for collection

In civilized countries like Norway this is what the post and other couriers already do. The local supermarket, petrol station, florist, whatever, takes delivery, the courier sends you a text saying it is ready for collection and you pick it up on the way home from work. As a lot of these places are open until 21:00 and open at 07:00 (or 24 hours a day in the case of petrol stations) this is a lot more convenient than going to the sorting office (which here would be at least 25km away).

In densely populated areas the post will also call you to arrange a parcel delivery to your door in a two hour window in the evening.

Silver badge

Some commentard input

Well, if this thing does go ahead, as it looks like it will, what would you want your sticker to say?

"My neighbours have made a fortune on eBay. Please ensure that parcels addressed to me do not increase their wealth."

The other problem

Some of my neighbours work shifts which is why they are in during the day to collect parcels. But they are not in in the evening when I am.... So my parcel is stuck in their house for a week.

Re: The other problem

Get a lockbox which you both know the code to, so you don't have this problem.

Stop

Re: lockbox

That might work if it wasn't for the fact that my postie seems to change every couple of months. Royal Mail don't seem to rotate them, rather than letting them have dedicated routes.

Anyway, I expect a lockbox code would end up on a post-it for everyone at the sorting office to make a note of.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Or you could get one that lets you change the code. Then put that code on your address label.

Although the postie would need more than 3 braincells to figure that you.

a better solution would be to get a box that self locks when closed. When you go out leave it open, have sign saying leave in box and close please or the likes.

That way only you need a key.

Coat

Another Sticker?

When's the "Don't deliver to my wife" sticker coming out?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.