Feeds

back to article Japanese boffins unfurl banner above newly-discovered Element 113

Japanese scientists are chuffed to bits to announce that they have discovered the so-far undiscovered superheavy element with atomic number 113, and have staked a claim to naming it - and so joining the big leagues of element-finding boffinry nations. According to a statement issued by the Japanese research institute RIKEN: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Coat

Karatonium?

Or Sumonium, as it's a big fella.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Boffin

Japan the first country in Asia to name an atomic element.

Isn't Russia in Asia too?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Japan the first country in Asia to name an atomic element.

Russia is everywhere - big place.

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Clearly physics, not geography, is what RIKEN is good at.

Anonymous Coward

Insert obligatory iOS6 maps joke here.

Silver badge
Boffin

Element 119 and beyond?

What have they got against 115?

Bronze badge

Re: Element 119 and beyond? Islands of stability ...

What have they got against 115? It's rather what nature has got against them.

It's necessary first to find a combination of neutrons and protons that will be sufficiently stable that it lasts long enough to be detected and then to find two isotopes which are available in sufficient quantities and at affordable price that can be combined to make it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_stability

Alien

Re: Element 119 and beyond?

We need to wait until a reasonably intact UFO can be acquired for research.

Silver badge

What have they got against 115?

Probably nothing. They've just been watching Firefox's success with version numbers.

Bronze badge

Island on stability ...

Where I read:

> Such elements do not occur in nature and must be produced through accidents involving nuclear reactors.

And got a picture of a deep sea fisherman on a beach somewhere east of Fukujimmy landing his next meal and realising it was already cooked.

HMB
Alert

This element may well not have lasted for a fraction of a second..

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Isotopes_and_half-life.svg&page=1

From what we have seen so far, the heavier you go past a certain point, the less and less time it takes before the element decays.

Let's imagine that for some weird reason aliens had made a UFO out of element 120.

Ok, the time I just said to say OK and for you to think about it, the elements already gone. Even better, it irradiated the area as it did so. If we had a large mass of this and you were standing right next to it, well, I think it would be fatal. I think that's a fairly safe thing to say. It's going to be hotter than freshly extracted used nuclear fuel.

Thumb Up

@ David Pollard,

Thanks for the link, really interesting article. I don't pretend to understand half of it but interesting none-the-less. This is why I love el reg!

Thanks.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

If it was emitting alpha particles it'd only be dangerous if you were leaning on it or had swallowed it (cue story about small dog and alien invasion taskforce)

"and then to find two isotopes which are available in sufficient quantities and at affordable price that can be combined to make it."

Given that this experiment involved firing zinc ions (element 30) at bismuth (element 83), am I safe in assuming that it was a simple case of 30 + 83 = 113 protons for the new element?

And that if we wanted to create element 115 by firing zinc ions in the same way, then the other element used would have to be element 85, i.e. Astatine? That is, an element that doesn't exist naturally, only via radioactive decay of other elements, is incredibly unstable in its own right- its longest-lived isotope has a half-life of 8.5 hours- and that has never been seen by the naked eye because (according to Wikipedia) "a mass large enough [for that] would be immediately vaporized by the heat generated by its own radioactivity".

Yes, I can see that this would make astatine *slightly* more difficult to work with in a similar setup than bismuth. :-)

Of course, I guess they could try other combinations of elements- they'd have to- but assuming I got that correct, I guess it illustrates your second point quite well. :-)

Bronze badge
Joke

Well, as long as they do not do something incredibly or end-credibility-stupid with Astatine and drop two Ts and create massively deadly radiation along the way, then they won't create a dubious new element: ASININE????

sorry.... Could.. Not... Re... Cyst my elemental silliness, hahahaha

jai
Silver badge

please don't let them call it unobtainium!

TRT
Silver badge

Godzillium!

FTW.

Thumb Up

Re: Godzillium!

Like it!

Silver badge

That's even better than my Godzilla-based joke!

Happy

That's the western version. The actual Japanese name of the monster was Gojira. And Gojirium sounds even better.

Gold badge
Coat

Missed a trick.

"...slapping their foreheads in amazement at not thinking of such a basic ploy."

I can't help thinking that "elementary" would have been better than "basic" in this context. Possibly with an appended "(hah!)"......

Silver badge
Holmes

Perhaps it might be, "Elementary my dear TeeCee".

See Icon.*

*This icon was selected for the sake of the quotation in the title and the literary reference therein. No sarcasm was intended or deployed during the uploading of this posting.

Headmaster

"they have discovered the so-far undiscovered "

Is that down to some special properties of the element in question? ;)

It shall be called "Ununtrium"

Or maybe it should be "Hyakujūsanium", for it's japanese origin?

Anonymous Coward

Re: It shall be called "Ununtrium"

If it has a short half-life then I would suggest WhereTheFucksItGone'ium

half life?

If its unstable, does it really count as an element if it just quickly turns into another element?

Ru
Boffin

Re: half life?

Yes.

Re: half life?

Yes.

You're maybe thinking of whether it should be called an element if it cannot survive in natural conditions...anywhere in the universe.

Silver badge

113 elements

ought to be enough for anybody.

Silver badge
Angel

Sorry, but...

Everything since the Fifth Element has not been as interesting. Mmmmmm, Milla....

g e
Silver badge

Nipponite

I thank you

(Or Nipponium if it has to be -ium on the end)

Bronze badge
Pint

Nuclear chemistry

Bravo. It's good to see Japan at the forefront of research into nuclear chemistry.

I hope Reg readers will also join in a toast to Riken for the good work that they did following the tsunami and Fukushima accident. Riken staff measured radiation levels in various locations and provided a dependable summary.

Happy

Re: Nuclear chemistry

There we are - fukushinium.

Bronze badge

I name element 125 Slagium. Live with it.

Silver badge

In that case ...

I'd like to name element 127 Nybalium. In order of all the geeks who have helped with the processing of the data.

Silver badge
Mushroom

If they really wanted to create an explosive atmosphere

Sukakuium would be the name of choice

In Chinese textbooks that would have to become Diaoyuium

Thumb Up

Kamikazium.

Origamium.

TRT
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Kamikazium.

WW3 fought through science. The predicted atomic war.

Pearlharbonium. Then the next once discovered by the US will probably be named Hiroshimite.

I like the sound of Narutonium though.

Fukushimite?

I don't know. We'll wait and see!

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Bukakium ?

Obviously

Paris Hilton

Re: Bukakium ?

Ashamed to say, that was exactly my first thought.

Re: Bukakium ?

comes and goes quickly

And the purpose of this element is...?

Why haven't they named it Japanite?

Ru
Meh

Re: And the purpose of this element is...?

Its purpose, like that of so much other research, is to be one of the foundations upon which greater projects may be built. Shoulders of giants and all that.

There are two reasons it is not called Japanite. Firstly, elements are generally suffixed with '-ium', as that is what IUPAC likes. Secondly, they wouldn't use "Japanium" for the same reason an element discovered in the UK is unlikely to be called "Angleterrium" or "Großbrittanium".

Holmes

But they did call it Americium . . .

Go

I think that probably says more about America's over-inflated sense of self-importance than anything else.... ;-)

Yag

Don't forget about Francium and Germanium...

Gallium may qualify too, Gallus meaning Gaul (and rooster) in latin.

"Why haven't they named it Japanite?"

Because it isn't a mineral?

Happy

Me thinks the poster meant "why would they use a non-Japanese name for Japan in the title" ergo perhaps (since I can't type in Kanji) it would be "Nihonium"?

maybe?

Anyone?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.