Feeds

back to article iPhone 5 sales curbed by lack of smashable screens – report

Sales of the iPhone 5 on the first weekend of its release were lower than expected because the phone is so innovative, not because customer interest is tailing off, reports newswire Bloomberg. The iPhone 5 sold 5 million units in its first three days of sale: and while the huge figure is an increase on the 4 million iPhone 4Ss …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by its author

Gimp

They hate it so much...

...they only gave it 90% when reviewed

Silver badge
Devil

Meanwhile, at El Reg Towers...

...the editorial team sit back, smile, and declare "Mission Accomplished".

imagine dinner at Tim Cook's house

lets bow our heads and say grace; we thank you Steve Jobs for this bounty we are about to receive, amen.

and they all get a plain white breathmint.

WTF?

Re: They hate it so much...

Seriously love, if you hate her articles so much, why do you keep reading/replying to them? Just ignore them and they'll probably go away.

Anonymous Coward

Hate Apple and still gave it 90% - must be one hell-of-a-product.

Thumb Down

@PassiveSmoking

Here are a couple newsflashes for you:

1. You aren't the only person with an opinion.

2. If you don't like someone else's opinion, don't read it.

One person gave it a 90%. That doesn't mean they all like it.

That said, I'm sure they do like Apple products. They also like mentioning Apple as often as possible to get the fandroids frothing. The more often people comment the more often ads get viewed.

Shame views weren't generated by something interesting to read.

Anonymous Coward

Re: something interesting to read

I found the 'Scratches are normal' comment interesting, although I suppose it's hardly surprising.

Silver badge

Downvote for using the patronising phrase "seriously, love" because the person you're talking to is female. You want to win people to an argument, don't alienate half your potential readers by sounding like a sexist tosser.

Anonymous Coward

Dear Americans,

The Brits love to fight for the underdog, corollary they like to knock the big guy on top. what's more Brits find Schadenfreude delicious. It's nothing personal. Please get over it, or fuck off.

Ta muchly,

a Brit.

Trollface

Re: Dear Americans,

schadenfreude ist die schoenste freude

Silver badge

Whoops

Did you notice the iPhone 5 was given 90%?

Ahh, this is great.

Re: @PassiveSmoking

how do you know if you like it or not without reading it?

Bronze badge

soft demand?

Everything I have read/heard says they were sold out everywhere, how do people conclude there is soft demand?!

Seeing the Jobs' reality distortion field in full effect at these apple stores with everyone cheering and clapping is really a sick(as in bad) site to see (only seen it on TV of course have not seen it in person. Actually I can't think of if I've ever seen an Apple retail store in person).

If you can collect all of the Windows Phone die hards from around the world at one retail location maybe they can replicate the experience for a few minutes when the Nokia 920 launches.

Re: soft demand?

"Everything I have read/heard says they were sold out everywhere, how do people conclude there is soft demand?!"

I assume they are referring to both those sold on the day and those preordered. The hardened apple follower will get theirs on the day so I assume this refers to a decrease in the preorders compared to expectations.

Facepalm

Clue: " but it's more likely to be Apple throttling back on supplies to allow the manufacturers to cope with making the screen"

Anonymous Coward

" Clue: " but it's more likely to be Apple throttling back on supplies to allow the manufacturers to cope with making the screen" "

I take that as a media commentators justification for why they got it wrong.

Here we have Apple who have seen regular increases in the number of new phones they sell once the phone is released and must be able to make a good prediction of how many need to make. Would it be so bad if they released a rumour that they launch was delayed so they could produce enough to meet the expected demand?

To me (label as android fan boy if you wish) there is something about the iphone that is very reminiscent of countless 'bubbles'. All is well as long as the majority are happy and people get this input from the media etc that all is well and the iphone is the pinnacle but I do feel their is a risk that the media have been very reluctant to admit that android now significantly outsells the iphone helped by the "creative types" who have iphones and persuade their managers that their company only needs to produce a iphone app. This has given a false impression to many people, both users and managers that the iphone has a stronger position in the market that in actually has. As with house prices the more out from reality a situation is the more likely that there will be a dramatic readjustment.

Anonymous Coward

They sold all they could make - so they clearly could only make 5m but will fulfil the rest of the orders as quickly as possible. Rather the BS about some analysts uninformed GUESSES why not wait for the 1st month, 1st quarter and 6 month figures.

How it clear they could only make 5 million?

Anonymous Coward

Actually they delivered 5M iPhone 5 with poor build quality. So Apple could not even achieve that 5M target. According to the polls up to 2M of delivered iPhone 5:s could have scuff marks. They sold crap to customers. THIS IS UTTERLY EXPENSIVE WAY TO HANDLE A PRODUCT LAUNCH.

This is really bad for Apple. No-one can trust Apple quality anymore. And official statement? "Scratches to aluminum are normal." <sic> the arrogance, the pure arrogance of Apple execs.

Anonymous Coward

if my iPhone 5 turns up scratched im going to china and killing some of the foxconn workers myself

at least thats what i would say if i was a typical fanboi waiting for an iphone.

Anonymous Coward

@PassiveSmoking

When Apple and the Church of Scientology finally merge, then you will see what we are all on about.

Until then, do try to calm down and at least spell thing correctly. YELLING just makes you look like a twit.

Thumb Up

Re: @PassiveSmoking

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seen similarities between Apple and Scientology. When can we call them terrorists?

Go

Business as usual

Step 1) All phones with aluminium backs are scratched easily.

Step 2) Our phones do not scratch easily

Step 3) All phones except ours scratch easily

Silver badge
Joke

Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal.

Doesn't have quite the same ring as "you're holding it wrong", or my personal favourite re the iPad wifi "Try moving closer to the router"

Anonymous Coward

Sounds like its PAINTED aluminium, so the question is why paint it? what is wrong with the raw colour of aluminium??

Samsung, here is your chance to release a phone with carbon fibre body, I would love a Carbon fibre phone....

Aluminum a poor design choice

Too soft for the purpose. The glass back on the 4S may be more prone to shatter when dropped, but it doesn't scratch for beans.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Aluminum a poor design choice

Not just that. The aluminum back blocks the radio signals from the back.

Bronze badge
Boffin

"The glass back on the 4S may be more prone to shatter"

But thanks to AppleCare they will give you a new phone free of charge if it does, just take it to an Apple store. Presumably Samsung has a similar scheme for accidental damage for their god like devices in case the huge screens smash but I'm not familiar with it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but i'd rather have a phone whose case got scratched than one whose case would shatter.

Has Apple considered, however, that maybe there's a good reason most phone manufacturers make the backing of their phone out of plastic (or, if you're motorola, reinforced plastic)? Scratches aren't noticeable, because it's the same color the whole way through, and it's not brittle like glass, and it's lighter than either aluminum or glass... But it's hard to charge a premium for plastic...

Anonymous Coward

Re: But it's hard to charge a premium for plastic...

Carbon fibre.

Bronze badge

Re: Aluminum a poor design choice @Azzy

"I don't know about the rest of you, but i'd rather have a phone whose case got scratched than one whose case would shatter."

As I said above, AppleCare. But I guess your phone manufacturer would laugh if you asked for a new phone when the screen broke.

Anonymous Coward

No, it is not. Aluminum is used also in airplanes. But that is specially hardened beyond standard steel properties. Apple apparently settled to use normal "consumer grade" aluminum, unlike other manufacturers. Like a jewelery, my ass.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: AppleCare

So Apple will sell you an insurance policy for your iPhone. So fucking what? I can buy insurance for my S3, too. In fact I have a feeling it is probably covered by my house contents insurance. Although personally, I prefer to handle it carefully such that I don't drop it.

GJC

Anonymous Coward

@ Lusty

So you NEED insurance with your phone in case you drop it a short distance?

If you drop it, it smashes... Wow crap phone...

I've dropped my Samsung Galaxy phone a few dozen times, probably 1-1.5M off the ground when it fell from my hand onto tiles/concrete, and its still going strong 3 years later, now my 2 year old uses it and has thrown it across the room a few times! THAT is a tough phone!!

My SGS3 seems just as tough!

Bronze badge

Re: @ Lusty

"I've dropped my Samsung Galaxy phone a few dozen times, probably 1-1.5M off the ground when it fell from my hand onto tiles/concrete, and its still going strong 3 years later"

I've done the same with my iPhone many times, what's your point?

Anonymous Coward

Re: But it's hard to charge a premium for plastic...

Rubberised plastic. Touchy-feely, grippy, and looks nice in a matte finish.

Anonymous Coward

And can I just say, apart from phones, where I like aluminium generally,

I think when carmakers put it inside cars for no good reason it looks gauche and tacky, worse than stick-on carbon fibre! And then there's the ones that simply paint or electrostatically metallise plastic parts aluminium colour. Ewwwww.

Plus, lumps of squishy plastic like dead flesh. Just give us some decent quality solid stuff. We can handle the truth.

all the effort to shave off some micrometres?

whats the point when the damn thing is as big as an OS map already.

Anonymous Coward

Phil's first respone was before thinking better of it

was 'just buy another one, not that big of a deal'

Facepalm

it has nevertheless disappointed analysts who were predicting sales of six to 10 million.

Gosh if the analysts are disappointed by that, imagine how they'll react when the economy collapses and we all have to live under global feudalism.

Bronze badge

Re: it has nevertheless disappointed analysts who were predicting sales of six to 10 million.

that's a first-world-problem if ever i heard one

Anonymous Coward

iPhone sales were not a high as expected because

1) narcissistic personality traits are on the decrease

2) mum and dad are in an economic recession and cant fund their kiddies tech lust

3) it's technologically stale

4) the design is stale

5) people are happy without the extra row of icons

6) those navigating to their nearest apple store using their friends iPhone 5 have got lost

7) function is now as important as form

8) andriod is better than iOS

9) winmo will be better than iOs

10) Nokia make better phones

11) Samsung make better phones

etc. etc.

An introduction to maths

A slowing of the growth in demand for something is not a 'dropping off in demand'.

People really are scraping around to find stories about Apple based on absolutely nothing.

As for the 'analysts'. In any other industry when you get something wrong you look silly. For analysts being wrong is a sign that Apple are in decline.

Enough with this garbage please.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Trollface

@ Mr Temporary Handle

Muppet

Anonymous Coward

"You missed the most important reason.

Apple stores refuse to sell their products to Muslims, Jews, or anyone else who isn't White and/or a Christian."

That's a wee bit harsh!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.