Feeds

back to article Scientists: 'Castration is the key to a longer life'

Bollocks boffins studying the effects of male sex hormones on life expectancy have concluded that becoming a eunuch may be the key to living a lot longer. Male members of many species, including Homo sapiens sapiens, live shorter lives than their female counterparts, and castrating some male animals will make them live longer. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Unhappy

'Castration is the key to a longer life' You first.

See title.

Silver badge

Re: 'Castration is the key to a longer life' You first.

It's actually women that cause men to die younger. No balls means no women means live longer.

MrT
Bronze badge

Live fast...

...die young, and leave a good-looking corpse ... with all the bits and pieces still attached.

Young? Good-looking? Sorry, was reading someone else's biography there.

Silver badge

Quote from Wall-E:

I do not want to survive, I _WANT_ _TO_ _LIVE_ !!!

Childcatcher

"castrating some male animals will make them live longer" Or is that it just seems longer.

Anyway I thought that wearing thight jeans had the same effect.

Silver badge
Happy

It is merely due to the fact that it is easier and quicker to slide down bannisters going "wheee" like a kid; this makes you feel young again, and you live longer because of it.

Also you don't whack your nuts on the bannister end...

Silver badge

Responsible reporting.

Well played, sir.

Silver badge
Alert

Castration...

...aka marriage.

Silver badge

I feel ever so sorry for you, Mahatma.

That is all.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: I feel ever so sorry for you, Mahatma.

Er, I was joking. The lovely Mrs Coat is a treasure.

Silver badge
Pint

Mrs. jake reads (and posts) here sometimes ...

... as a result, I go out of my way not to get Vickied ;-)

Just a hint. This round's on me.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Castration...

I think what you meant was "verbal castration"

Silver badge
Coat

Article doesn't tell you much about the "scientists" involved

It was done by a "Professorette of Women Studies" would be my best guess.

Trollface

volunteers

Who says the subjects had to be volunteers? For example if it were to become the standard procedure for POWs then the world would probably become a much more peaceful place shortly...

And of course there's a refreshing variety of idiots trying to Darwinate themselves on YouTube...

Terminator

Re: volunteers

If this became standard procedure for POWs, I think a lot more men would die fighting.

Anonymous Coward

"Who says the subjects had to be volunteers? For example if it were to become the standard procedure for POWs then the world would probably become a much more peaceful place shortly..."

Violence is not genetic, but you did almost come up with the answer: rapists - now there's a deserving test group.

Silver badge

"rapists - now there's a deserving test group."

Yes but do you want them to live longer?

" rapists - now there's a deserving test group."

I think you'll find that there's fairly detailed evidence from the Czech Republic for the efficacy or not of the treatment.

In fact I'm surprised that the investigators didn't use the Czech Republic to test their theories.

Silver badge
FAIL

"rapists - now there's a deserving test group."

Except by the time you are a rapist you're already a fully functioning male, and loss of your testicles will only prevent you reproducing. As a guy I knew once said: "You've got meat and two veg. Take away the sprouts and you've still got a meal."

Go back to reading the Daily Mail.

Childcatcher

Re: "rapists - now there's a deserving test group."

"Except by the time you are a rapist you're already a fully functioning male, and loss of your testicles will only prevent you reproducing."

Err no.

Removing the testicles and hence the majority of testosterone production will in most cases also make you unable to perform or for that matter want to perform. This is the reason why chemical castration was/is used on sex offenders by the use of anti androgens to reduce testosterone production and in some cases female hormones. See amongst others Alan Turing.

Of course this is the same cocktail as used by male to female transexuals so maybe a study of the life expectancy of that relatively large group would be informative.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: "Removing the testicles ... will in most cases also make you unable to perform"

Don't compare apples and oranges. Vasectomy is no different to complete removal of the testes so far as hormone production goes, but it doesn't kill your libido or render you incapable. Chemical castration differs in that it alters your biochemistry directly, replacing the testosterone that is already present.

Vic
Silver badge

Re: "Removing the testicles ... will in most cases also make you unable to perform"

> Vasectomy is no different to complete removal of the testes so far as hormone production goes

Errr - yes it is.

Vic.

Anonymous Coward

Jedit: shut up already, it's getting embarrasing. Leave medicine to those of us who actually know a bit about it.

Silver badge

That's odd ...

Our bull is 15 years old. The steers typically don't make it past 10 months ... Same for the sheep, goats & hogs.

Silver badge

Re: That's odd ...

That'll be down to the whole "predators eating them" thing.

Wierd how that works, eh?

Silver badge

Re: That's odd ...

Yes, but very tasty.

Urh

Quantity vs quality

I think I speak for most men when I say I am perfectly happy to sacrifice a decade or so of life expectancy if it means I can live out my days with a sex drive.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: Quantity vs quality

Try living with a woman for ten years and then tell me you have a better quality of life than a eunuch. You both have just as much sex only the eunuch misses it less.

(That said I'll still keep them for sentimental reasons and damn the ten years)

Bronze badge

Having been happily married for 25 years, and counting, I find that my monogomous sex-life is much more active than what my single, male, all under 30, coworkers brag about.

So you have quantity, not quality?

:)

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Sounds like he has both.

Bronze badge

Well... neither of us has quite the energy/flexibility we used to, but middle age and kids tend to do that to a person. :-)

Let's just say that, as the years pass, your definition of quality might take on a bit of a different meaning.

It is something of a relative term though, tastes vary.

Coat

Oxymoron?

"...detailed family history of the eunuch class..."

Not much scope for a 'Who Do You Think You Are' series, then?

Silver badge

Re: Oxymoron?

A deep frozen collection of ones sperm could be used ala "A policeman from Clapham Junction"

It should be added that castration does not necessarily remove erectile function - merely the normal means for ending it and inducing snoring.

Silver badge

Re: Oxymoron?

And Arnold Rimmer found that in a past life he was Alexander the Great's Chief Eunuch...

Boffin

Controls?

I know that the article says that said ball-less wonders were compared against "a similar socio-economic background to exclude genetic differences", but one still has to wonder if the sample size is enough, and if the real reason for non-threatening men with cushy jobs at the royal palace living a little longer than normal is maybe something else...

Also, there are eunuchs today, for medical reasons if nothing else. Couldn't they be studied? I wonder if medieval Asian societies are about as relevant to modern Western lifestyles as, well, medieval Asian societies.

Re: Controls?

Just to answer my own post. The BBC article has a little more to say on the matter

"Dr Kyung-Jin Min, from Inha University, told the BBC: "We also thought that different living circumstances or lifestyles of eunuchs can be attributed to the lifespan difference.

"However, except for a few eunuchs, most lived outside the palace and spent time inside the palace only when they were on duty."

Instead he thinks the data "provides compelling evidence that male sex hormone reduces male lifespan".

[contradicted by]

Dr David Clancy, from the University of Lancaster, said: "The results are persuasive, but certainly not conclusive."

He said the relatively high number of centenarians in the group suggested eliminating testosterone may have prolonged life. However, he cautioned that difference in lifestyle could have had a significant impact.

"In this case eunuchs were raised by eunuchs over generations, lifestyle differences may have been reinforced in this way.

"Castrato versus non-castrato singers are probably a better comparison, and showed no difference in lifespan. Non-castrato lived an average 65 years and both groups lived fairly cosseted lives."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19699266

Anonymous Coward

UNIX?

Erm, never mind...

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: UNIX?

I think you're referring to a different sort of 'up' time...

Anonymous Coward

Re: UNIX?

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1993-11-09/

Castration is....

Balls out, or just the snip???

Re: Castration is....

for this effect, it would be balls out: the snip doesn't stop the testosteron flow that's accused of shortening male lifespan

Silver badge
Coat

Whelp.

Looks like the ex. is all set.

Coat

Who wants to live forever?

According to a French lady centenarian, the real secret to her long, happy life was...

"Getting off the Titanic in 1912".

Or at least, it seems longer.

That's all.

Bronze badge

Worked out on the back of a (sticky) napkin...

Ironically, a quick calculation on the back of a napkin would seem to show that the 19 years extra life is almost exactly the amount of time I will have spent 'emtying' my boy sack by the time I die, so not only do we die younger but we will have less time to do other stuff whilst we are alive.

Still, no regrets.

Pint

Re: Worked out on the back of a (sticky) napkin...

Not to mention the extra money you'll be spending on high protein foods and vitamin supplements to maintain that rate of porking - you sure your maths is correct?

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: Worked out on the back of a (sticky) napkin...

If you'll have "spent" 19 years (~10M minutes) in hand-to-gland combat, let's try and break that down:

Assume a generous 10 mins per episode, then that's 1M hand-shandies in your life.

If you are active for 50 years, that's 20K per year, or roughly 55/day.

Every day.

Let me be the first to call you a w****r, but I'm not going to arm-wrestle you to settle an argument. Or even shake your hand.

My coat is splash-proof...

Thumb Up

Re: If you are active for 50 years, that's 20K per year, or roughly 55/day.

That sounds about right.

Not counting weekends when I have more free time.

Bronze badge
Coffee/keyboard

Re: If you are active for 50 years, that's 20K per year, or roughly 55/day.

lol - all over the keyboard, too

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.