Feeds

back to article LONDON iPHONE 5 MADNESS: 'You must be CRAZY to buy Apple'

Giggling Apple fanbois queuing for the new iPhone 5 in London gave Apple Store staff high-fives as a man bellowed at them: "Are you mad?!" The bewildering scene marked the start of another Apple iThing launch, and another day of eyebrow-raising antics on the streets of London and beyond. "Why are you shouting 'iPhone 5 iPhone 5 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

Because if you make people feel good about doing something stupid, they will think that it's not a stupid thing to do.

The Milgram experiment basically tells us this, too. If you lined up enough people who *were* enthusiastic about electrocuting people, or whatever else, then enough people would cheer and wave their arms to join the ranks of those encouraging without question and so propagate such actions.

If you could go into a newsagents with a grumpy man behind the counter who doesn't talk, or one where they know your name, talk about your family, smile when they see you, etc. then you're more likely (on average) to choose the smiley shop in future (even if they are ripping you off in comparison). This is just the same phenomenon on a larger scale.

Why do you think Apple have paid for those people to line up inside the store cheering you, and high-fiving? Because it makes some people feel better about something instead of thinking it through. And, yes, of course some of those idiots would do it unpaid too - hell, most Justin Bieber fans would happily work security for him for free if you asked them to as well. But not forever. And not if the iPhone 5 actually turns out to be a bit of a stinker of a product.

Anonymous Coward

It would do a lot to restore my extremely low opinion of the human race....

....if one of those people in the queue had a little lightbulb moment, looked at themself, looked around, and then just said "what the f**k am I doing!?!"

Silver badge
FAIL

The iPhone5 can just get lost

Siri, where can I combine a drive to work with a thrilling rollercoaster ride? http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/post/31971812088/crooked-highways-near-the-philadelphia-museum-of

Siri, can you recommend a good mapping application to teach kids geography? http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/post/31970259679/berlin-antarctica

Bronze badge

Re: It would do a lot to restore my extremely low opinion of the human race....

I think the same about people who work in any "smiley" customer service or promotion job, anyone who knocks on your door trying to sell stuff (or, as the last few have stated "not trying to sell you things", merely exchange a business service that they will provide for my money), any Z-class "celebrity", and quite a lot of other people.

Humans are inherently gullible and susceptible animals when it comes to social recognition.

Bronze badge

The grumpy / helpful approach helped me choose my local car parts stockist.

Anonymous Coward

Plebs

The que at John Lewis was non-existant.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Plebs

Only a handful of people outside the O2 shop on Oxford Street at 8am this morning too.

Happy

Be Happy!

What is the point in life if it isn't to be happy while you're here?

Who really cares what you do to be happy (as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else). If queuing for the new iPhone makes them happy, then let them be. It's not something I'd do, I don't even have a smartphone, but if that's what rocks their boat I'm happy for them. Many people have trouble finding something to be happy about so don't put them down just because you're the grumpy man in the shop.

Silver badge

Re: Be Happy!

Well indeed, the thing that annoys me is not that a few people choose to queue, but the hysteria in the media about it all. And that does have effects - it affects awareness of products on the market, it gives help to one company and not others, it reduces free competition in the market, and means progress is made more on marketing and what gets media hype, rather than technology or innovation.

"The Milgram experiment basically tells us this, too. If you lined up enough people who *were* enthusiastic about electrocuting people, or whatever else, then enough people would cheer and wave their arms to join the ranks of those encouraging without question and so propagate such actions."

I liken the nature of the behaviour of these crowds to the behaviour demonstrated by the participants of the Stanford Prison experiment; joining in with a situation that requires actions that are contrary to our normal senses, rather than the Milgram experiment which was more about our innate compulsion to obey orders from authority, regardless of our reluctance to do so or the consequences. All are fascinating scenarios to us saddo Psychologists though!

Megaphone

madness

whether you like people queuing or not , or even the media attention, none of it has a direct negative influence on your life, its not a tax or a removal of choices. So by berate them for what they want to do.

Should they be allowed to degrade you for your choices?

live and let live, if they are not affecting you.

The fact that a guy with a megaphone arrives and tries to force his opinion on others is total madness, akin to religious cultism. You, your opinion and values are WRONG, mine are RIGHT.

If he feels that strongly about the issues he raised let him take it up at corporate and govenrment level instead of giving the appearance of a nut-job

Silver badge
Joke

"....if one of those people in the queue had a little lightbulb moment, looked at themself, looked around, and then just said "what the f**k am I doing!?!""

That's about as likely as a fat rich dude who rules an Empire looking down and saying "Fuck me: I'm wearing bollocks all!!"

Anonymous Coward

He would promptly answer himself, "Oh yes, I'm enjoying myself! How could I forget? Living in the first world, I have to create problems to solve as all the 'real' ones are solved for me. I could achieve this by bitching about some highly visible minority group's attempts to achieve the same, but I prefer a more positive outlook..."

Anonymous Coward

"Who really cares what you do to be happy (as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else). If queuing for the new iPhone makes them happy, then let them be. It's not something I'd do, I don't even have a smartphone, but if that's what rocks their boat I'm happy for them. Many people have trouble finding something to be happy about so don't put them down just because you're the grumpy man in the shop."

Religion makes a lot of people happy. It doesn't mean I'm not going to point out how ridiculous it is.

Anonymous Coward

Take it back...

Apple is different and they will sue you for slander and the Beatles again too for trademark infringement. New York city is also pushing its luck by marketing itself as the "Big Apple"; Johnny Appleseed is on the hit list too. Cisco sure was wise to capitulate and surrender the iPhone name preemptively.

Re: What is the point in life if it isn't to be happy while you're here?

the point is to shut your stupid face and pay your taxes

regards

David Cameron

Bronze badge
Happy

@Blergh - Re: Be Happy!

Wrote :- "Who really cares what you do to be happy (as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else). If queuing for the new iPhone makes them happy, then let them be."

Yes, but it makes me happy to laugh at what makes those guys happy. Please let me be.

Alien

Be honest. Have you ever met an idiot who suddenly has a flash of intelligence. If he was smart (presuming it's a male - I've found women more savvy) how would he end up in a Conga Queue for yet-another shiny gadget in the first place?

So hang on to your low opinion of the latest primate. It's correct.

Now where did I put my banana?

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Re: Rocks their boat?

Think you meant 'floats their boat'. 'Cos you just sort of said the exact opposite...!

Re: madness

I think you answered your own argument - the guy with the megaphone has the right to his own opinion and the right of free speech (even if you don't agree with him). The fact that you disagree with a person's right to express himself is a worrying attitude akin to extreme facisim or communism, where freedom is severely curtailed. Are you worried about his comments possibly being anti-Apple?

Let's face it, Apple have managed to convince people to take 1 or 2 days off work, to wait in the cold and rain so they can spend £500-600 [in a recession] on their product! Now that's "religious cultism" as you put it.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Plebs

"The que at John Lewis was non-existant:

err... John Lewis doesn't sell the iPhone.

Try this

Stand in a crowded area - better with a friend - suddenly stop and point up at the sky as if looking at something.

Or

Scrabble around for a moment saying you are looking for a contact lens

Before you know it you'll have a crowd copying and you can actually step away and watch it continue - often for quite a long time. This is the nice side of our natural group instincts, the nastier is the behaviour of children to any child that isn't quite as they are (from glasses, ginger hair, wrong skin colour to missing limbs etc.)

As has been said before, whether or not you like Apple products they sure as hell know how to sell them, I have to take my hat off to them for that - they are brilliant at selling. Rather than ditching Symbian Nokia should have ditched the marketing droids and poached some Apple sales&marketing folk

Question is - does buying an iPhone 5 harm? (This applies to any product in reality but what the hell - pick on Apple is good fun).

To make the iPhone someone has had to work - that could be seen as giving them employment, money and security - although from the reports we hear its not much money, not great employment and probably no real security.

To make the iPhone a lot of energy is used, causing pollution and CO2 causing global warming and killing wildlife

To 'recycle' the iPhone the new iPhone replaces takes a lot of energy, causes pollution and possibly poisons the person doing the recycling and leads to heavy metal contamination

To transport the piles of iPhones from the (no doubt very nasty) factory in China to the shiny London shop took a lot of energy and filled the atmosphere with CO2 which won't have been offset, involved a lot of tree chopping for the cardboard package and a lot of oil drilling for the plastic.

Those who traveled to get their iPhone may have made special journeys causing pollution, exacerbating overcrowding and by increasing demand raising the cost of fuel for the rest of us.

So... it might be that the 'happiness' enjoyed by those queuing to spend their money does have an effect after all.

Each to their own of course.

Anonymous Coward

Asch Conformity Experiments

Extending the psychological angle, it's probably closer to Asch's conformity experimity, where no pressure was in place from authority figures as with Milgram or situational changes in behaviour related to power/loss of power like the Stanford Prison experiment.

Asch's experiment highlighted our desire to conform to have the same opinion as our peers (known or unknown). So, in a room with 7 other "volunteers" the guinea pig is asked to say which in a series of lines is longer -nothing more difficult and the result wasn't borderline - it was a clear cut correct answer. However, because the 7 other "volunteers" were actually experimenters they all said the incorrect line was the longest, and the guinea pig agreed with them in about 70% of cases.

It's a human desire to conform, not to stand out, and that's what's happening with the Apple fans who MUST GET A NEW PHONE ON THE DAY IT'S AVAILABLE, as opposed to those who can get it online or walk in to a shop. Very interetsing experiment in human nature though.

iOwnersheep enhances your intelligence, knowledge and social status

Just consider the regular shearing you receive from your greedy master a religious experience.

And always remember that the walled garden is not for our profit. It is only to protect you from big bad wolves and the complexities of reality.

Anonymous Coward

You'll be telling us the Jesus existed next! A fool and their money are easily parted.

Bronze badge

That was the phrase that came to my mind.

But if a little black monolith provides them with the necessary hit to keep them happy for the next 12 months, then so be it.

Thumb Up

Problem is

That little black monolith isn't enough to keep them quiet, they will ooze smugness and sadness. Not to mention the same sad pathetic misfits in the queue, have real jobs where they might / will / could actually be responsible for proper things, like health care, roads, military stuff. Things we the normal people actually do need and can't have entrusted to gullible stupid morons that high five in public.

What we should be doing is photographing them and making sure they are not near anything "live", "dangerous" or "required" for the next 12 months, the little black monolith should mean they are taken out of society if it was bought while in a queue outside an apple store.

Thumb Up

Re: Problem is

"That little black monolith isn't enough to keep them quiet, they will ooze smugness and sadness. Not to mention the same sad pathetic misfits in the queue, have real jobs where they might / will / could actually be responsible for proper things, like health care, roads, military stuff. Things we the normal people actually do need and can't have entrusted to gullible stupid morons that high five in public.

What we should be doing is photographing them and making sure they are not near anything "live", "dangerous" or "required" for the next 12 months, the little black monolith should mean they are taken out of society if it was bought while in a queue outside an apple store."

Well said sir!

Big Brother

"You'll be telling us the Jesus existed next!"

Actually its very probable a man walked the holy land approximately 2000 years ago, going by the name of "Jesus of Nazareth" preaching that we all should be nice to each other.......

the very debatable part is if he was the son of God, Jobe, Jehovah, Allah or any of the other names for god. Was he actually born to the Virgin Mary, (even though she was married to Joseph and very unlikely to be a virgin), did he actually perform any of the miracles attributed to him?

the problem is that the original stories have been twisted and lost (probably deliberately) to make his teachings into a religion. and in a lot of cases those twists are only done to self serve the hierarchy of the founders of the religion.

It has long been believed that Jesus was most probably married, (most likely to Mary Magdalene), there would have been something seriously wrong if a 25+ year old Jewish boy was not married!! but this does not fit in with what the catholic church wanted.

Did Jesus exist? probably... was he anything other than a ordinary (forward thinking) man, probably not... , Was he the son of god?.... As I don’t believe in omnipresent beings, No !!!

Big brother icon, because he is watching you.... god is not !!

Jezus Jesus....

....it was 2000 years ago, let it go.

Silver badge

I think you're showing a little prejudice if you think the Jesus story was "twisted" by a church that didn't even exist for much of the time said "twisting" was taking place.

From a purly historical perspective, Christianity arose as one of several offshoots of a temple-based religion that suddenly had to adapt to a world where that temple no longer existed. It's mirrored in the rise of judaism which, despite its claims, isn't actually older than christianity; it was also an attempt to cope with a world where the temple was gone. Both firmed up around 200AD into the religious we know and love today but they'd had very different starts.

Christianity based itself around a revolutionary concept. It was a revelation-based faith; that is, it waits for revelation to be provided in dealing with unforseen circumstances (the great mysteries), which is why there are so many christian denominations; they all had different revelations on particular subjects.

Judaism based itself on a consensus of opinion and is an evolutionary faith with some revelationary characteristics, which is why there are so relatively few jewish splits and why they tend to mix and merge again over the centuries.

On the subject of whether Jesus was married, there's a lot of speculation based on fantasy and hearsay and gnostic pseudographia written many hundreds of years after the events in question but no actual evidence. The bible itself implies that Jesus was celibate and may have been a nazirite for much of his life before having a revelation, breaking his vows and attempting to restore the "true path" of the temple faith of Israel. Being celibate would rather preclude marriage, I feel, and the nazirites were a very powerful sect at the time, with many thousands having taken the vows. Certainly they were powerful enough that Paul had to appease their leadership more than once.

Anonymous Coward

I don't usually come to The Register to get my sociology and history of religion bit, but it's an unexpected pleasure.

Unhappy

"Both firmed up around 200AD into the religious we know and love today but they'd had very different starts."

Wooohhhaaa... know and love? I don’t think so. know..maybe... love, definitely not !!

I am aware that most modern religions based around Christianity rose up around 200AD and all of them based on difrent scriptures. Some faith saccepted some of the scriptures, others did not depending if it "fitted in" in what they were forging out. Most shunned the Profit Mohammed and would not accept he was a true profit, rejecting that the Angel Gabriel came to him. , others embraced his words.

Its all the rejection or acceptance that I refer to as twisting.

As for Jesus being celibate, Just because he may or may not have been a Nazirite does not make him celibate, The part of the bible that teaches that Jesus was celibate was when Paul was teaching the believers in Corinth that a person unhindered by marriage can do Gods work better.

"Corinthians 7:32-35....I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord."

in Matthew 19, Jesus said the person who can accept this challenge of celibacy should accept it,But It does not say that he is indeed is or was celibate all of his life.

I don’t particularly like any of the mainstream religions. They mostly are self serving, The catholic church for instance could wipe out third world debt. They horde billions of pounds worth of treasures, they hide away documents and don’t allow them to be scrutinised, but declare the contents to be true....

Most, if not all are the cause of wars.

But at the same time, I may dislike religion and I have often referred to religion as the poor mans opium, but I do not like to be a bigot about it and probably have read and understood more of the bible than most who go and waste 2 hours in the morning and another 2 in the evening on Sundays, Jesus said that you don’t have to go to gods house to prey, he is omnipresent, he hears you everywhere... but people are compelled to, more so by the Catholic church who will send the priest out if you miss Sunday... heaven forbid the collection plate is a little light.....

their again, I might go to hell !!!

Devil

So now you know why "health care, roads, military stuff" and a whole lot more are such a mess - Apple doesn't yet have an app for it.

Anonymous Coward

"...Jesus said that you don’t have to go to gods house to prey..."

...unless you like eating Christians

Happy

They in that queue as using the maps they could not find where they worked :)

Silver badge
Unhappy

Oo

I am creeped out and slightly scared now. This is not normal behaviour.

Bronze badge

Re: Oo

The quote

'"Apple is crazy, you have to be crazy for Apple," he said.'

says it all.

Brainwashing on an epic scale. Queues and obsession with the latest iteration of a mobile phone.

No doubt these are the type of people who are defined by their belongings. Their iPhone 5, Audi A4, B&O stereo, Barratt semi home, Superdry jacket, Nike trainers, Sennheiser headphones etc. etc.

I fear that the human race has lost the plot. Consumerism gone wild.

Anonymous Coward

Not Normal in the slightest. Even for Apple products

You don't see people queing for days on end to get the newest imac, but when it comes to the iphone they'll take the week off work and stand in the pissing rain to buy it on release day morning.

Bronze badge
Stop

Hey... I own an Audi A4! Leave us out of this!

Anonymous Coward

It's not just consumerism. You just have to look at the banal wars and their causes, whether that be power, greed or religion. People everywhere suffer from brain washing.

Bronze badge

To me Audi are the automotive Apple.

Once interesting engineering, innovative, quirky.

Now overpriced and so bought purely on the value of a trendy badge.

Overpriced VWs vs overpriced x86 PCs / smartphones.

Though, to be fair, I didn't see the same cultist behaviour outside the showrooms for the A1 launch.

Bronze badge
WTF?

PMSL at the thumbs down for simply stating the car I drive. I do wonder about some of the morons who frequent the comment sections sometimes.

Personally I couldn't really give two shits what the downvoters think. Just for the record I bought it because, in my opinion, its a nice looking car, comfortable, returns respectable MPG for its size, reliable, tough as old boots (as I've found out!), and, most importantly was the right price for what it is. If I had of found a VW Passat or Skoda Octavia (all same platform) for a similar price (which would then probably mean more toys too) then chances are I'd have gotten one of those... or any other car that suited my requirements and budget. As it happens I found the Audi, liked it, bought it. The four rings on the front could fall off tomorrow for all I really care!

Now, once you've finished downvoting this you can go back to your pathetic little Android Vs iPhone or OSX Vs Windows Vs Linux arguments downvote each other 'til your hearts content and leave the grown ups to talk.

Anonymous Coward

"PMSL at the thumbs down for simply stating the car I drive"

You misunderstand - you didn't get downvoted for stating what car you drive. You got downvoted for driving an Audi.

If you really MUST tell people you drive an Audi, don't mention that it's the Mondeo-level one.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

"You got downvoted for driving an Audi."

Just goes to show that pricks on the internet aren't exclusive to porn sites! Some people really need to get a life. Its playground level stuff... but then again, we are talking about people who argue and slag each other off about their choices of phones, computers, OS, etc.

Facepalm

Re: Not Normal...

I didn't even know it was being released today until a courier delivered one to a colleague. Seriously, are people's lives so empty that they need a stranger to applaud their purchase of a phone? Are these people using holiday time to queue for something they can buy online or in any other phone shop?

Anonymous Coward

"Their iPhone 5, Audi A4, B&O stereo, Barratt semi home, Superdry jacket, Nike trainers, Sennheiser headphones etc. etc."

What's wrong with the A4 (excellent car by all accounts)? Is the issue that you want one and can't afford it?

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

What's wrong with the A4 (excellent car by all accounts)? Is the issue that you want one and can't afford it?

Could walk into the showroom tomorrow and get one if I so desired. Would I want one though? No.

I don't buy in to the "german == best" marketing hype.

Always been cynical of marketing, whether it is telling me what car to drive, queue for iPhones etc.

Not everyone wants to splunk their hard earned away on branding. That kinda ties into my original point.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.