Feeds

back to article IBM: Last chance to load up on Power 6+

With the Power7+ processors and their related Power Systems machinery looming on the horizon sometime before the end of the year – and sooner rather than later if the murmuring on the street is any indication – it is no surprise that Big Blue is beginning the process of winding down sales of new Power6+ system boards and related …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Facepalm

Translation.....

"We at IBM are stuck with loads of Power6+ kit we couldn't shift so please buy some for all those systems you won't be able to upgrade to Power7 or later chips, and then buy some nice new Power7+ systems when we finally get them ready."

Re: Translation.....

Matt is a boob.

Personally I would never buy Power6 since Power7 has been out so long but I have heard some companies standardize on a box and want it for every store, branch, etc. Which I guess IBM is still selling power6, but at some point 99% of the customer switch over so its time to stop offering the old gear.

Now speaking of Itanium. HP should still be selling Montecito cause Tukwila cores are only 15% higher in performance than Montecito cores and Oracle charges 2X the price. Ouch.

These parts will be available USED for yrears...

If a company insist on NEW for upgrades of 3year old equipment, then this is last-call. Otherwise, there is an ample supply of used part for at least 3 more years. If you don't care about IBM certification of the parts, you have even more options..

Headmaster

Matt..

You have been reading to much Oracle marketing material.

Sure you can upgrade a POWER6 based system like the POWER 570 to for example a POWER7 based POWER 770. There are extensive upgrade paths, sure not the lowend models.

// Jesper

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Matt..

".....you can upgrade a POWER6 based system like the POWER 570 to for example a POWER7 based POWER 770....." Yeah, a rip and replace upgrade that means everything but the frame changes.

These fork-lift upgrades...

I don't have the specific info on the latest Power 6 to Power 7 uplift, but it has fit a defined framework in the past...

They have been priced so that the tax-writedown for the old-box is higher than this upgrade.

Imagine a typical 4-year writedown (after six months of usage) for a $200K Power 6 box. After one year, you still have 30 months of depreciation on the 'books'. In this case, $25K has been written down, $175K remains to be done. IBM might sell the upgrade for $150K, PLUS any memory and I/O changes. It can be cheaper than a new purchase, but it is rarely cheaper than buying-a-used-machine and upgrading it.

36 months...

Sorry about the edit error. 36 months, not 30 months.

This topic is closed for new posts.