Feeds

back to article Governments block YouTube over that video

Google’s YouTube service is under fire across the Muslim world after several governments blocked the site outright after the web giant refused to remove or restrict access to a video uploaded by a US filmmaker ridiculing the Prophet Muhammed. The 13 minute video, a trailer for an amateurish film called the Innocence of Muslims, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Jesus-H-Christ

The facts are:

1. More wars have been fought over religion that any other form of dispute;

2. God/Allah/whatever is mankind's greatest invention.

3. The Catholic Church is a safe haven for peados.

Anonymous Coward

This religion

Is a way of controlling the masses.

Silver badge
Alert

Re: This religion

ALL religions are ways of controlling the masses, and when you mess with that control you become the anti-religion for whichever group you upset.

Re: fought over religion than any other form of dispute

Didn't you mean "disrepute'?

Bronze badge

Re: Jesus-H-Christ

"The Catholic Church is a safe haven for peados."

It's the oldest peado ring

Angel

Shagbag: "More wars have been fought over religion that any other form of dispute;"

Yeah, like most recently and massively WW1 and WW2, right?

Ignorance is a more likely cause and wears many hats and miters. Take off yours!

Mushroom

1) Go away,

2) research Serbian/Russian Orthodoxy, Austrian-German Catholicism, Turkish/Ottoman Islamist expansionism, the pan-Arab cause, the Catholic Right involvement in fascism, the explicit backing of the Nazis by the Vatican, antisemitism here there and everywhere, and Japanese militant Buddhism and Shintoism to start with,

3) come back and THEN we'll talk about religious factors in WW 1 & 2.

Okay?

Thumb Down

You say more wars have been fought over religion than any other form of dispute. Prove it.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

The masses seem to be rather out of control at the moment...

Anonymous Coward

And in other news, latest research shows that GRAVITY is the leading cause of injuries due to falls.

What's your point?

Silver badge

Wars are fought over money in one form or another, usually. Religion is just used to recruit the cannon-fodder.

Anonymous Coward

"Pea DOS"

That's taking down a web site by overloading it with lots of small round green vegetables, I suppose?

The largest mass-murders in modern history killed innocents in the pursuit of atheistic social philosophies (Lenin/Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Castro, Ho-Chi-Minh, etc).

Vic
Silver badge

> Wars are fought over money in one form or another

ITYF it's power, rather than money. Money is merely one of the trappings of power...

Vic.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Big Brother

> ITYF it's power, rather than money. Money is merely one of the trappings of power...

Truly it is power.

Money, religion, politics: it is all one. Control what people think and you control them.

The original poster was partially right about religion being *one* of the greatest causes of war. It is by no means the only one however.

The thing about these "Mohammed" issues is that no-one bats an eye about these videos until some mullah somewhere speaks out about it. Then all hell breaks loose.

Honestly, some of these religious nutters appear to have no rational minds of their own.

Personnally, I think we should have a ton more of these videos. We should put pictures of the "prophet" all over the Internet, walls, books, wherever we can. Desensitise them. They would get fed up of blowing themselves up eventually, and get on with their sorry lives.

you forgot Muslim expansionism and the Crusades.

Thumb Down

Communism is a religion

and dont forget the 30 years war either. (catholicism vs protestantism/lutherism

Megaphone

"Out of control"? No, heads of state and local media are lying to their citizens, saying things like the US was behind the vid. Distracts the constituents from the real issues, much like we're being lied to over here, never more so than during the lead-up to an election.

MIc

more so than you know.

http://www.amazon.com/On-The-Origin-Religion-ebook/dp/B008F8R25K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348080003&sr=8-1&keywords=on+the+origins+of+religion

Silver badge

"ITYF it's power, rather than money."

Once you're past barter it's the same thing. Probably even before that.

Anonymous Coward

"The largest mass-murders in modern history killed innocents in the pursuit of atheistic social philosophies"

You might want to have a re-think about that. Mostly around what an "atheistic social philosophy" is and why its a meaningless phrase.

Bronze badge
Headmaster

...paedos

Anonymous Coward

And so it begins.....

I know the video inflames the sensitivities of some, but instead of running around killing people and rioting just see it for what it is, a crap film made by an idiot who doesn't know better.

Banning it plays into the hands of the extremists who can now hold there hands up and claim how right they are.

Silver badge

No, they wont

see it "for what it is".

There is NO tolerance when you insult their deity...

I assume you are a westerner? In that case this so called peaceful religion would have you publicly beheaded.

They have a mindset that we, as westerners, do not understand.

For a so called modern religion, based on peace (they say) i dont remember any recent cases of the mary whitehouse bridage on the war path demending executions, rioting, basically behaving in a un godly manner because someone called jesus a c***.....

Anonymous Coward

Re: No, they wont

"here is NO tolerance when you insult their deity..."

Nor even when you insult some bloke who had a chat with Allah once, apparently, since Mohammed isn't a deity as far as I'm aware.

Oh I'm gonna burn now.

Anonymous Coward

He's not a deity...

... he is a pedo. "Marrying" a 6 yr old and then having the decency to wait till she is 9 before raping her...

You can see that islam is not a peacful religion.... how many suicde tibetans do you see? How many of them kill diplomats and blow up tourist becuase of abuse by china. None. It has nothing to do with blasphemy and everything to do with eductaion - or in this case the lack of it.

And by there own actions they are showing the civilised world that what was in the film is true.

Blowing people up and killing people while shouting that islam is a peacful religion - what a double bind - like those parents who scream at their children to shutup in supermarkets because they are running around screaming.

Anonymous Coward

Islam is a peaceful religion*

*As long as you are Muslim**

**The right kind of Muslim

Silver badge
Happy

"....some bloke who had a chat with Allah...." That's where it gets fun - apparently, old Mo only talked to "angels" such as Gabriel, and the rest of the time he had (convenient) "visions/revelations" during his sleep. So, it could just have been Gabe and his buddies having a laugh, messing with the "talking monkeys", maybe because they were bored after a few millenia of smiting and holy stuff.... Kinda suggests Gabriel was the first BOFHeaven.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: He's not a deity...

Oh dear, and so we see the usuall trollish comments about Mohammed and Islam from ignorant idiots who believe what they read in the Tabloid Media without bothering to open their eyes (or minds) to any other point of view.

Can you not get it through your heads that a few fanatics are *NOT* representative of the whole religion of Islam any more than the idiots who made this film are representative of Christianity?

I have a Muslim family living next to me and I've not had problems with them diving over the wall wearing a Semtex waist coat and yelling "Allahu Akbar!" it's usually just their kids saying "can we get our ball back"...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: He's not a deity...

Troll - a word used on the internet to make any comment that you don't aggree with look bad - like islamophobia.

Oh dear, please open your ideas to other points of view, you are obviously close minded and can't accept any other view point, other than your own.

So you have a muslim family living next to you? Can you not get it through your head that one family is *NOT* representative of the whole religion of Islam? Going by your logic, my smoking doesn't cause cancer because my nextdoor neighbor has been smoking since he was 12 and he hasn't got it, so obviously it's bollocks put about by the tabloid media.

I live in "klein istanbul" in berlin and am surrounded by muslims... if only they behaved as you claimed your neighbors behave, there would be a few less problems in the world. Sadly the majority of muslims do behave like the person who killed the US diplomat

Anonymous Coward

http://www.examiner.com/article/man-cuts-wife-s-head-off-throws-it-off-apartment-rooftop

That guy was soemone's neighbor too... or his wife did was tell him she wanted a divorce because of his affair.

Last week a woman got dragged by her hair down the street in berlin becuase she wanted to see a boy, and on saturday a muslim was wondering around with a butchers knife looking for his girlfriend because his girlfriend looked at another man.

Silver badge
Boffin

@AC Re: He's not a deity...

"Sadly the majority of muslims do behave like the person who killed the US diplomat"

Really?

Islam is estimated to have something over one and a half *BILLION* followers world wide, around a fifth of the world's population.

If the "majority" (defined as > 50%) of Muslims behaved the way you claim, I think we'd have noticed it a bit by now.

Silver badge
Coat

He's a very naughty boy?

Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC He's not a deity...

Yeah... when 50% of this one and a half billion come out and condem what is happening around the world then I'd agree with you... they don't because they agree with it and think it is good, or they are too scared of what other practioners of this religion of peace would do to them if they did.

When 50% of this one and a half billion come out and condem women being stoned to death because of sleeping with someone else then I would agree with you... I shant hold my breath...

... and dude, we have noticed it, just read the news, look at all the muslim countries are endorsing attacks on americans, these countries together make up a sizable proportion of this 1.5 billion. I never saw many muslims condeming teh burning of the us flag... yet at the same time they are moaning that the koran gets burned, or that this film gets made. Show me where the tibetian sucicde bomers are, go on where are they?

Silver badge

If you'd try doing a bit more research and looking beyond the headlines you might find the answers you demand I present you (but do you *really* want to find them...?)

In any case, it's clear there's no point in carrying on trying to have a reasonable discussion with you on this, so feel free to declare victory and keep on enjoying your prejudices.

>>> "If the "majority" (defined as > 50%) of Muslims behaved the way you claim, I think we'd have noticed it a bit by now."

Haven't you noticed? Some of us have.

Anonymous Coward

"Can you not get it through your heads that a few fanatics are *NOT* representative of the whole religion of Islam any more than the idiots who made this film are representative of Christianity?

I have a Muslim family living next to me and I've not had problems with them diving over the wall wearing a Semtex waist coat and yelling "Allahu Akbar!" it's usually just their kids saying "can we get our ball back"...

So you are basing your opinion of all Muslims based on a single family that lives next door to you?

Silver badge

Deity, god like figure, prophet, messenger, whatever....You knew what i meant....

Alert

Re: Show me where the tibetian suicide bombers are

I can't - but don't stand too close to them when they set themselves on fire

https://www.google.co.uk/images?q=tibet+self+immolation

Boffin

"how many suicde tibetans do you see?"

Well, lots. http://www.savetibet.org/resource-center/maps-data-fact-sheets/self-immolation-fact-sheet

Did you mean suicide-bomber tibetans?

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Show me where the tibetian suicide bombers are

"I can't - but don't stand too close to them when they set themselves on fire...." Self-immolation, i.e. burning ONLY yourself to death, is a far different activity to deliberately murdering as many (Jewish) civillians as you can with a bomb in a pizza resteraunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sbarro_restaurant_suicide_bombing), or as many (muslim) civillians as possible with a truckbomb in a market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_February_2007_Baghdad_market_bombing), or thousands od American civillians of many different religions with aircraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11).

Silver badge
Stop

"Freedom of expression doesn't make it alright"

"Banning it plays into the hands of the extremists who can now hold there hands up and claim how right they are."

If some spoiled wanker is sitting safely in his First World home, making shit films which incite violence, why should his 'free speech' be defended when it's costing the lives of innocent people?

Free speech is one thing. Thirty people getting killed because Google don't want to take it down is another.

I don't think that anyone can take seriously someone claiming they are right after organising a quick terrorist bombing, or the decapitation of innocent parties who just happened to be from the country the film was from. Taking it down in no way legitimises the actions of murdering fuck-heads.

I like Free Speech. I don't like rule by mob or extremist violence towards bystanders. I think the people perpetrating the violence are arse-holes of the highest order for attempting to silence free speech through random violence.

But if simple actions can be taken to help insure the safety of those innocent bystanders, then so be it.

Again: Thirty dead people so some prick can get his rocks off by inciting violence. It's not worth it.

Silver badge
Stop

"He's not a deity..."

Nobody said he was.

"... he is a pedo. "Marrying" a 6 yr old and then having the decency to wait till she is 9 before raping her..."

Juliet was what... thirteen, wasn't it? And our country is fine with children of 5 drinking. Not too many years ago we were fine with 9 year-olds working in dangerous factories and up chimneys.

So let's not get too much on our moral high ground, eh?

Islam *is* a peaceful religion, on the whole. It's just you're swallowing the anti-Islamic propaganda, in the same way that unthinking Muslims are swallowing the anti-Western propaganda.

How about actually hanging out with some normal Muslims for a while and discussing their religion with them like an adult, instead of just repeating what people who clearly hate the religion have told you?

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Facepalm

"Can you not get it through your heads that a few fanatics are *NOT* representative of the whole religion of Islam any more than the idiots who made this film are representative of Christianity?"

Mate; it's fucking depressing that you got pretty much as many down-votes as up.

I like to think that I live in a tolerant country with well-educated people, but clearly I'm being overly optimistic.

Silver badge
FAIL

"Last week a woman got dragged by her hair down the street in berlin becuase she wanted to see a boy, and on saturday a muslim was wondering around with a butchers knife looking for his girlfriend because his girlfriend looked at another man."

Last week a Christian tried to mug me. And the week before that I saw a couple of Christians kicking the shit out of a drunk guy for a laugh. And don't tell me that Christians don't beat/maim/kill their wife for no good reason, either. I've had an angry boyfriend looking for me with a knife because his girlfriend bought me a drink, too.

If you think that it's someone's religion that makes them a wanker, you're mistaken. And if you think that someone being a brutal fuck-head means they are a good representation of the doctrine of their religion, you're also mistaken.

Silver badge
Flame

"they don't because they agree with it and think it is good"

So: You're speaking for 1.5 Billion people?

Let me ask you this: Last time a Christian extremist group did something horrific, did you come out and condemn what was happening? Stand in a street and protest, did you?

No: I didn't think so. So don't judge 1.5 Billion people for not doing the same thing that you didn't do.

He's just a very naughty boy.

On a more serious note, while I'm all for free speech and all that, when people are dying over a stupid pile of shit movie, I'm more for just removing the pile of shit movie trailer.

Liberties you say? Try arguing your point to a corpse.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.