Feeds

back to article Who queues for an iPhone 5? Protesters, hipsters and the jobless

The iPhone 5 doesn't go on sale until 8am on Friday, 21 September - yet lines of fanbois, socio-averse hipsters, campaigners and self-promoting twits awaiting the new mobe are already clogging the pavements outside Apple Stores. Yesterday on the steps of London's flagship Regent Street pomaceous-product outlet, punters queueing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

iMuppets

Says it all really!

JDX
Gold badge

Re: iMuppets

Did you even READ the article?

Silver badge

SAD

Who would waste their time queuing for something that, in the grand scheme of things, is an irrelevance?

Looking at them makes me sad.

Silver badge

Re: SAD

There always used to be news stories about people queuing for the News Years sales on boxing day... and one friend of mine had to queue eight hours for a cash machine at the Glastonbury festival and declared it great fun- helped in no small part by a bottle of whisky that was being being passed around, and the by general camaraderie.

It's not my idea of fun, but seems, as an activity, fairly similar to fishing; just sitting in a camp chair waiting for something.

It's not a new phenomenon, and its not limited to fans of Apple.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

It should make you happy.

Happy that you know how sad this is. They clearly don't have this ability.

Anonymous Coward

"Did you even READ the article?"

Yes, and they are muppets. Half the people in the front of the que are making a documentary about people who que - what a wonderful piece of cinema that will turn out to be.

No doubt on launch day you will be able to walk into your nearest Apple store an purchase the new Jesus phone without hassle.

Anonymous Coward

You are living proof that commentards don't read the articles. Well done on being first.

re: SAD

The irony that you all miss of course is that you all waste your lives *arguing* about this and whose gadgety gadget has the bestest and most biggest gadget power numbers online. Think about that for moment. It's pathetic really.

Stop

Fucking hell, we are all here though aren't we.

Personally my reasons are that I wanted to read some comments against Apple, the company. The company that claims to have invented rounded corners, the company who take a 30% slice of apps sales, the company who still have that fugly striped background on their phones that OS9 used. The company who claimed Google had stolen their business by moving into the phone market.

The company who go to court rather than release a significantly better product.

Trollface

In my late teens and early twenties we would wait in line overnight to get good seats for concert tickets (before ticketmaster monopoly) so this is probably not too different.

I guess that's a sign of getting old, there's nothing currently that I would be willing to wait in line for..other than waiting in line at motor vehicle services to renew my driver's license.

Silver badge

It's pretty sad that it's the older generation who'd queue up for festivals and gigs, and the younger generation queuing up to buy a mobile phone from a big company.

"The first generation less rebellious than their parents".

Silver badge
Linux

I can be here and gone in 5 minutes.

I don't waste days and days and days at a time on this stuff.

...and they say math education is bad on my side of the pond.

Silver badge
Linux

I think my all time queue record is 4 hours for Phantom Menace tickets and that was strictly on a whim and at the spur of the moment. I think Apple encourages this kind of silliness. It's more of that free advertising from the news media.

OTOH, that venue where I queued for TPM simply would never have tolerated a bunch of riffraff loitering for days and days on end.

Anonymous Coward

MUMMY'S ALLOWANCE

They don't work they get an allowance from their mummy.

Blame the parenting, these poor little things have been put into day care all their lives and the parents feel so guilty they think they can buy their little darlings affection.

Flame

Did you read it?

Anyway like the iPhone 4S if you want one you can buy one just after the queue went down. about 10am.

I wonder what result you would get if you asked who was on benefits in the same queue? Or the equivalent "Film Maker" I think the first thing these people need to do with their iphone is download a few Job Apps.

Anonymous Coward

I dunno, hijacking a bloody stupid thing like this to promote a worthwhile cause like a local community project seems like a really good use of time to me. A lot better than simply sitting at home in front of a keyboard moaning on some tech forum about what other people choose to do with their short and precious time on this planet!

Silver badge

dont know about the maths but your english is shit.

Re: MUMMY'S ALLOWANCE

When I queued there were 4 other contractors who all earned about 90k a year. Hardly an allowance from mother.

Silver badge
Meh

Re: iMuppets @JDX

Can't really blame him or her for not doing so.

I haven't - because once I see the by-line "Anna Leach", I tend to look for other items which might at least have intelligent comment and rational discourse.

Anonymous Coward

Contractors? The allowance came from the tax man then. Presumably the Mummys paid VAT and proper tax on their earnings before buying the phone.

Silver badge
Facepalm

So which company was losing £1000 a day having you queuing on their dime?

Anonymous Coward

Re: your english is shit

That should of course read "your English is shit."

Anonymous Coward

The 22 Downvotes kinda prove the point. Saddos the lot of you...

Not as sad as the poor Chinese ... Apple = Greed beyond need... How many more billions do these scumbags need? 1 billion = 1000 million... trillion = 1000 billion where will it stop ? France might have a guillotine or two gathering dust...

There is a good sense of camaraderie in the lines. Everyone looks out for everyone else... except the pissed Russians that just threaten to kill everyone.

I've queued out twice to promote apps I've made and I'm not going to lie, the experience was brilliant.

Thumb Up

Someone want to play this to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nf5-Prx19ZM

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

There may be some camaraderie in these Apple queues but I'd say it's more a reflection on how little excitement you have in the rest of your life that you would describe it as brilliant experience.

You're spending 3 days camping in the cold for an expensive phone you could have just ordered online. Hell there isn't even any beer or live music.

I'm happily married, have an awesome daughter, a nice house and a fast car. That's excitement enough for me. There is beer, there's good food... There's all sorts.

Anonymous Coward

But still, apparently, a gaping rounded-cornered oblong hole in your soul :P

Bronze badge

There may be some camaraderie in these Apple queues but I'd say it's more a reflection on how little excitement you have in the rest of your life that you would describe it as brilliant experience.

I have no interest in iPhones or queuing for things, but I'd say comments like this mostly demonstrate how little some posters understand that people differ. Enjoying the queuing experience is not pathological, an indication of some personal failing, evidence of a dull existence, or a sign of weak-willed consumer subjectivity - as much as many of you might wish otherwise.[1] People can extract psychological and social rewards from many experiences that not materially profitable and don't fit your personal definition of "fulfilling".

Now, if someone would care to offer a robust, intelligent, sophisticated position on why queuing for iPhones is personally or socially destructive, ethically suspect, morally perfidious, etc, we might have grounds for serious debate. As it is, most of the comments like the one above simply suggest that the author is a narrow-minded ass.

[1] Many of these sorts of comments are more than a little reminiscent of the sort of naive-Marxist "prole-bashing" that was popular in certain under-informed critical circles a few decades back. It suggests a lack of critical thought, among other things.

JDX
Gold badge

Waiting for

someone to make a joke about how Apple Fanbois and Carers...

Silver badge

Re: Waiting for

Joke?

I thought it was a proven fact that 50% of Apple queues are made up of carers?

Silver badge

I kept thinking about Lou and Andy from Little Britian. I can see Andy (I mean Ali) coming out of the Apple store on Friday and chucking the iPhone5 in a bin, saying 'I don't like it.'

Anonymous Coward

he'd be sued, first by Apple, then by the disabled, then by the charities, then by the rest of the usual suspects, i.e. everybody else who'd think this is an outrageous joke in extremely poor taste.

Hey, why don't we think up something else, like this bearded bloke nobody dares blaspheming about, cause they'd loose their head and testicles... At least we'd get the fireworks in central London by Christmas.

nah, this would be inciting (racial / religious / cultural) hatred... Is it the sound of a 1 mln suicide cabs approaching, or are they just pleased t

Silver badge

Oooh, idea...

Did you hear they've just found some old bit of paper which mentions Jesus having a wife?

Well I'm deeply offended by the blasphemy, and was looking for a completely unrelated location in which to stage a violent protest.

I think I've just hit two birds with one stone!

Silver badge

>Did you hear they've just found some old bit of paper which mentions Jesus having a wife?

Been done. It was mentioned in The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, which was mentioned by Umberto Echo in the excellent Foucalt's Pendulum and ripped off wholesale by Dan Brown inThe Da Vinci Code, leading to a lawsuit.

Since it would have been unusual for a Jewish man in JC's time not to be married, it is strange that it is not remarked upon in the NT, was the argument. That, and who was it getting married at Canaan? I know many women who would consider a man capable of turning water into wine prime marriage material!

Anonymous Coward

Queueing 4 Vulnerable Women.....

How long did he have to wait before he got one?

Anonymous Coward

Why queue?

If you've got nothing better to do why not? A communal activity where people get to talk to other people about stuff.

Personally I prefer the pub, but each to their own!

TRT
Silver badge
Thumb Up

+1

It keeps them off the streets at least.

Anonymous Coward

Re: +1

@TRT hahahaha, thank you, you owe me a new laptop

Silver badge

Just queue without the intention of buying anything. And maybe even trying to talk people out of buying an iPhone. :)

Bronze badge
Gimp

Says it all really:

a very keen Apple enthusiast and his carer

Yup.

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFEZDbJvwk

"! could never get a Samsung. I'm creative."

"Dude, you're a barista"

Facepalm

Re: Says it all really:

No no its the reply "People don't queue like this for Samsung or Sony," he said."

Can I answer... please please??

Silver badge

I love gadget queues!

I sell them teas and coffees and then charge them 5 quid to use the portaloo when the laxatives take effect.

Bronze badge

Business plan

You should give the tea and coffee out free.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: Business plan

They are in a queue for a tech gadget - free is equivalent to not worth having and unaffordable is equivalent to the best thing ever....

Personally, I would bump up the price of the tea and coffee and cut costs on the toilet facilities (not what I charge...) to increase my profit margins, but then I might just be a b*st*rd...

Coffee/keyboard

Re: I love gadget queues!

keyboard please - and a screen wipe...

Anonymous Coward

Adopt the Ryanair portakloo model, and put the toilet paper in a vending machine, 50p/sheet.

There's probably a market for an app that shows where the nearest other portaloo is (run by your mates, of course). iPoo ?

Silver badge

Nah, just ship it without the toilet paper. If it's not there, they'll happily believe that no one really *needs* it. That can come in the next model, and you can be sure they'll be queuing up to get it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.