Feeds

back to article Google to axe IE 8 support, cuts off Windows XP lifeline

Google confirmed late last week that it would soon be killing off support for Microsoft's now aged browser, Internet Explorer 8, which also means it no longer gives a stuff about Windows XP hold-outs. The company said in a blog post on Friday that it would discontinue support for IE 8 on 15 November, claiming the move was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Silly old google!

IE8 is not the latest-but-2 version for XP users - it's the latest! And it does seem silly to cut off support for 39% of the planet...XP works perfectly well for an awful lot of people, who do normal everyday computery-type things on their computers (bit of browsing, bit of word-processing, spreadsheets etc), and who leave their stalking activities (if any) for their mobiles.

HMB
Bronze badge
Stop

Re: Silly old google!

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version_partially_combined-ww-monthly-201108-201208:

IE8 Worldwide: 13.65%

IE8 UK: 10.99%

You... you... exagerationalist.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Except, XP is itself the latest-but-THREE Windows operating system, and hasn't been exactly the latest *anything* for a long long time...

Bronze badge

silly old statcounter

You can add one to the XP count since I block statcounter (and they are not alone). Admittedly, I only run XP as a VM...for a short list of applications that require Microsoft Windows.

Of course, this means I'll have to install a Windows 7 VM...

Thumb Up

Or just install proper browser and you'll be fine.

Windows

XP isn't the latest, but maybe the best

The problem, Mr TheNog, is that XP is without much doubt the best desk/laptop O/S Microsoft ever produced; Vista was unmentionable, Win 7 can be made to work just about as well as XP by switching off as many "improvements" as possible, and all that has been revealed about Win 8 makes it clear that it needs to be avoided at all costs. So I expect people to stick with XP as long as they possibly can.

Not that it matters if you just want to use Google for what it's good at and ignore all *their* "improvements.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Windows 7 42.76%

Windows XP 42.52%

Windows Vista 6.15%

Bronze badge
FAIL

Who cares? IE5 is the latest for Windows 98 users - do you also think Google needs to provide support for them also?

Bronze badge

Re: XP isn't the latest, but maybe the best

Windows 7 can't be made as good, sorry, its crap, all sorts of applications that worked on xp now just periodically die for no good reason, functionality is missing... its plain horrible. I want XP back

Bronze badge
Flame

Re: Silly old google! @HMB

OH RTFA fer christs sake - its not that f***ckin' long

Hint: it's in the last sentence

Silver badge
Windows

@Test man

With the small difference that XP is still officially supported by Microsoft and Win98 has long been EOL'd.

Silver badge
Facepalm

It's too bad you can't install Chrome or FireFox on XP...

Anonymous Coward

Funny, this announcement comes just before the official release of windows 8! I wounder how much money went from Microsoft to Google?

Silver badge
Coat

I use XP - because frankly as far as I can tell, it does (well soon to be did) pretty much everything I need a computer to do and the more recent versions don't add any thing for me.

So why the f@#k would I upgrade? Because I wish to have less money, because I like wasting time installing apps and pissing about with hard-disks? No!

That would be like buying a Barrett home's one bedroom starter home and burning down your lovely four story Georgian town house because it's a bit old now!

Microsoft's and Google's view seems to be, lets just build a great big f@#king toll motorway through the site of your lovely Georgian town house so you'll be forced to live in a toy town Barrett shit box made of MDF and builders spittle! That'll learn ya!

People are still on XP because it's actually quite good (for a piece of useless shite) you should of made it more like ME if you wanted people to abandon it sooner!

Mine's the one hanging on a beautifully crafted mahogany coat hook in the hallway but which will soon be hanging on an IKEA plastic coat hook on the back of the living room door due to having had my house forcibly 'upgraded'.

Silver badge

Re: XP isn't the latest, but maybe the best

I prefer 7 to XP - faster to launch programs (just type the name at the start bar, rather than having to navigate through menus, or have dozens of shortcuts); faster to boot; better 64 bit support; seems more resistent to graphics driver crashes (a graphics driver crash on XP would crash the OS, where as 7 seems to be able to recover); better security model (programs no longer have permissions to do what they like), an additional side-benefit of which is that user data is now stored in user space rather than program folders, making it easier to back up.

I don't see what's wrong with Windows 8? Even if you aren't interested in the benefits (which aren't all to do with tablets, incidentally) and there's no point in upgrading, I don't see why it's worse? Honest question. I've tried the previews, and they work fine still with keyboard/mouse (you don't have to use the Metro stuff, and the start screen works just like the start menu in Windows 7, just giving you more space).

What about Windows 2000? I remember when XP came out, the geeks saying 2000 was much better than XP, which just had stuff that you had to turn off (and I myself ran 2000 for years, rather than XP). I find it funny that XP is now hailed as being the best MS OS...

Indeed, on that note I could say the same about the XP start menu, I find it odd the way this is now hailed as being some wonderful thing. I remember all the fuss from MS with Windows 95, and I couldn't see what was so good about it - just an awkward menuing system. I'm glad to see it replaced in Windows 7 with something that actually works well.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Lifeline?! LOL.

No one needs Google these days. Outlook.com and Skydrive are better than anything Google offers.....

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Re: @Test man

XP is end-of-life in less than two years and currently is on extended support (which isn't the same as full support). So I don't blame Google for getting rid of support for a browser that is two versions behind. Makes no difference if it's on a system that is currently used or not, IE8 is too old to support at the end of the day.

By getting rid of IE8 support, Google can concentrate on using newer standards for browsers that are actually available.

Re: @Test man

What new standards?

You mean HTML5 which is enforced upon us to replace flash but which isn't technically able to actually do so...

"stop behaving like we're still living in a pre-Facebook-Twitter-iPad 2001"

Demeaning comments like the above will only fuell the resistance to switch even more.

Well done, instead of constrictive articles you anger us, consumers, even more. And then you wonder why there is a recession.... tsssk tsssk tsssk.

This post has been deleted by its author

Trollface

Re: XP isn't the latest, but maybe the best @ Yes Me

Here's the fix for the first sentence

"The problem, Mr TheNog, is that XP *with SP3 installed* is without much doubt the best desk/laptop O/S Microsoft ever produced; "

XP until then had a lot of issues that people have forgotten about until SP3 (SP2 wasn't bad)

Stop

Misleading as ever

Google has not abandoned XP users at all. It has abandoned all the numpties who are daft enough to be using IE. Anyone with the brains to have switched to another browser like firefox or chrome will be just fine.

Bod
Bronze badge

Re: Misleading as ever

Sadly there are some corporates who stick with XP and also block other browsers from being installed so you can only use XP and IE.

HMB
Bronze badge

Google is doing their bit to force a move on, it's a good thing. There's only so long a big corporation can hold an increasingly ludicrous policy for.

Facepalm

Some of them are still sticking with IE6 due to never having updated their inhouse apps.

Anonymous Coward

@Bod - Re: Misleading as ever

Don't need to install anything. Portable versions of Firefox, Chrome and Opera are running just fine. I did this for years in order to preserve the purity of corporate crippled desktops at my workplace. My co-workers where even surprised to see I'm enjoying hassle-free browsing on some of the internal web sites they were told could not work with other than holy IE.

Anonymous Coward

And in any case when did a text based search engine care about the browser it's running on? Or do some of you not block google scripts?

Boffin

So IE8 users on XP may or may not be able to use Google Docs or YouTube. Gmail may eventually stop working 100% properly. Google search? I bet they keep IE8 alive on that due to marketing considerations. Nothing will outright break day1 with this "change." It may just partially break a year down the road after some new feature comes out. You act like it has the finality of a due-date for Apple pulling an app from the App Store or something.

Anonymous Coward

El Reg - What do you mean "cut off the lifeline for XP"??

For crying out loud, our corporate overlords still have us chained to **IE6** on XP, and we're still going strong!

Stop

Well in Google's own words to those 'corporates who stick with XP': Screw em'

Sorry but if large companies are too lazy and cheap to upgrade then screw them. Get with the program. If they dont like paying license fees to MS use a modified Linux distro with chrome on it.

"There's only so long a big corporation can hold an increasingly ludicrous policy for."

You don't get it, do you?

Corporations won't give a fuck whether, end-users, can access Google or not. They require that browser for particular in-house developed web-content. As long as they need to use that software they will never switch.

If a single employee in th company suddenly can't access some google services, so what? As long as they can access Google search (the most used and core component of Google) it's no big deal. As for google+ or Gmail services... these are for home users and should stay at home, not on the workfloor. In fact, Google makes the job for IT-managers easier. Now we don't have to ban access to these non-corporate services anymore, they do it themselves, woahahahah! Idjits!

Anonymous Coward

@Manu T

"Corporations won't give a fuck whether, end-users, can access Google or not. They require that browser for particular in-house developed web-content. As long as they need to use that software they will never switch."

You are correct but what about the next zero day vuln that comes around AFTER MS no longer supports XP? At some point a company is going to have to spend the money and these companies you are supporting right now will have a world of hurt on their hands. They sat on their ass for years and only changed when they were forced and will obviously run into major issues getting a new OS and set of applications working and their internal sites supported. Can't feel sorry for them when they had years to plan; technically that would be *close* to a decade by the time MS pulls support for XP.

Anonymous Coward

Who cares about those companies. They can go bankrupt and quit wasting people's time.

those companies usually also block the google drive , google docs and other ``lets share all our private data with the cloud'' tools.

So no big loss there.

Headmaster

Firefox, Crome, Opera - they run on XP don't they?

Silver badge

yes, only IE will do. In some parallel universe

Oh dear. Forced to use 'some other browser'. Oh... not much of a disaster for us XP users after all.

Silver badge
Meh

Oh no

I no longer have support for my XP machines IE, which I haven't used since forever... oh woe is me...

Oh crap we still use IE on xp at work. And they won't let us install third party browsers... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Silver badge

Re: Oh no

It's not hard to run 3rd party browsers. Chrome installs in user space and not program files (not a good idea, re-merging of sodding data and apps, but this is the windows way) and there are quite a few options when it comes to running apps without installing them. "Portable Apps" being one of the most well known of these.

Bod
Bronze badge

Certain companies have software that actively blocks even Portable Chrome. Doesn't just block things installed, but things that run. Sad, but that's my experience. Nuts for a developer who needs to test on multiple browsers but IT policy refuses to let you!

Silver badge

@ Nick Ryan "this is the windows way"

no, it's not. It's the way Chrome gets round the (admittedly poor) windows security model. The windows way is to run an install program and stick the executable somewhere in the "program files" folder.

Gold badge

Re: @ Nick Ryan "this is the windows way"

Er, yes it is.

With admin authority you can install to the system "program files" and elect to have the new software usable by either you or everyone.

Grunt users may only install to the "program files" under their space[1] and only they can use software so installed.

It is the windows way, but it's relatively new and most install routines have yet to catch up.

[1] NB: This does not merge apps and data, they should still be held in seperate areas within the user's storage, with the application living under "program files", if the software is written correctly.

Bronze badge
Stop

Re: @ Nick Ryan "this is the windows way"

"It is the windows way, but it's relatively new and most install routines have yet to catch up."

Wrong. It's been that way since 200 (6 years ago). Not relatively new at all, seeing as we've already have THREE Windows OSes that use this model and most install routines have actually caught up,

Bronze badge
Windows

@Bod

Can't you get an account on one of those remote desktop sites like browsercam?

Go down to your IT dept's office, and tell the 60 year old Windows network admin to take a lunch break. Whilst he's away, slap chrome on all the machines.

Failing that, report him to your boss for not doing his job.

ANY network admin that refuses to allow a modern browser deserves to be shot.

"Oh crap we still use IE on xp at work. And they won't let us install third party browsers"

So... what do you think this will actually do? You'll still be able to access google search. It's just your gmail or google+ or other google 'services' that won't work... and since these don't belong on the workfloor anyway...

"ANY network admin that refuses to allow a modern browser deserves to be shot.""

Why? Because you can't access you non-corporate private gmail account? Actually you should be fired for doing other non-job-oriented stuff on your PC.

Silver badge

@ TeeCee and TestMan

but Google Chrome installs itself into the users AppData folder, not a users program files folder, so surely my original statement that this is not the windows way is correct? The clue is in the name....

Stop

All of which means Google has finally signalled that it no longer cares about XP customers

Except they do because they continue to update Google Chrome for windows XP which will still work with Gmail etc.

Silver badge

Incorrect conclusion

which also means it no longer gives a stuff about Windows XP hold-outs

Er, no that is the case. Google will continue to support XP as long as say Firefox, Opera and Chrome still run on it.

Given that Google's decision to drop support for IE 6 did indeed lead to a decline in its use then it can be hoped that this will also happen with IE 8 and that Google will be more successful at this game than Microsoft. Though by "dropping support" doesn't necessarily mean that Google's sites will no longer work with IE 8.

Well done, Google.

Bronze badge

Re: Incorrect conclusion

So, by your logic, if Google drops support for IE...

Silver badge

Re: Incorrect conclusion

So, by your logic, if Google drops support for IE...

Even for users of Windows XP the sky doesn't fall in and the world doesn't end.

Google can afford to decide to drop support for whatever it wants. In theory the same is true for any website but due to Google's sheer size and prominence such a decision will make other people sit up.

Supporting IE 8 for a site is nothing like as difficult as supporting IE 7 and IE 6, indeed it will still be supported for a major site I work on after a relaunch. but there are still reasons why you might actively want to discourage site visitors from using it: lack of support for either SVG or Canvas and the very slow Javascript engine. Google has already explained how much faster Google Maps since they swtiched to Canvas as default. I suspect users of Google Mail. Docs and Maps will be most likely to notice any change. Presumably Google will nudge them in the direction of Chrome and Microsoft will only have itself to blame. Although MS might secretly be pleased if Google has succeeded where it has so far failed to dismally.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.