Feeds

back to article Key evidence in Assange case dissolves

The case against Wikileaks founder Julian Assange may be on the brink of collapse following claims from the defence team that the central piece of evidence used in the case does not contain Assange’s DNA. According to details that have emerged in a 100-page police report submitted after witnesses were interviewed and forensic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Whoops

This is far better than a TV soap opera.

Facepalm

Great Justice, Day 94 (for it continues)

[Prosecutor gingerly proffers 'it' to the bench, using a barbecue-fork]

Mr. Troll O'Punter Q.C.: "Here, M'Lud, we have Exhibit A, one deceased doobie of the type wherein my Client will claim the Accused failed to ensure his reciprocating rascal was adequately wrapped at the relevant engorged time, on or about the vinegar strokes."

Cocklecarrot J.: "Uhm, a 'doobie', you say? And what, prithee, is it for?"

Q.C.: "I am advised that it is a latex sheath for preventing the male milt as't'were amingling with the lady's tummy-bits during the performance of conjugal duties, a.k.a. carnal knowledge, M'Lud."

J.: "Ah, most fascinating; but I then fail to see why it should be open at both ends?"

Q.C.: "Yes, that is precisely the issue, M'Lud, which I ... er ... now see appears to be drippling somewhat upon my papers as we speak ..."

J.: "... so, the Accused's issue, one presumes?"

Q.C.: "Alas, M'Lud, 'tis not! The Boffins have determined that it pertains to a different Gentleman who remains at large."

Cocklecarrot J.: "Right! Counsel shall approach the bench and assume the position, fingers splayed atop facing forward! Now, where is my little GTFO-gavel? Ah, yes ..."

[dull thuds and muffled groaning]

"Dismissed!"

Go

The smoking gun..

The smoking gun, now with less smoke.

Am I the only one who thinks this would all be really amusing if the case did collapse, after everyone had gone to so much trouble?

Silver badge

Re: The smoking gun..

Only if Assange is then still arrested and imprisoned for breaking bail.

Silver badge

If it turns out to be true that the legal process has been utterly perverted while executing this political witch hunt then I'd say that it is totally acceptable that he seek asylum on grounds that he was being persecuted for political purposes.

I cannot believe the number of people that hate Assange with such a passion as to demand he be incarcerated without having committed any crime all based solely on the fact that they don't like him, despite never having met the man.

Apparently justice is something that we can apply selectively based on our feelings alone.

Now I am wondering how this behaviour is this any different to those idiot Muslims who are busy running around with "Behead everyone that offends the prophet" signs at the moment.

I suppose it begs the question: Did he break bail and therefore would be subject to arrest if it turned out that he no longer had a case to answer?

I believe that is why he is wanted in Sweden. To have a trial. You know that thing where evidence is tested to determine if the accused is guilty of a crime. For some reason he doesn't want to submit to that process. Make of that what you will.

You misunderstand me, I'm specifically curious to know that if the case is dropped before reaching trial, and presumably before Assange leaves the Ecuadorian embassy, would the charges of breaching bail be upheld, or dropped as well?

Holmes

"To have a trial. You know that thing where evidence is tested to determine if the accused is guilty of a crime"

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he have to be *charged* with a crime before arrest, trial, conviction, extradition to Guantanamo via USA?

Assange has NOT been charged. Or doesn't that matter anymore?

Bronze badge
Headmaster

"Now I am wondering how this behaviour is this any different to those idiot Muslims who are busy running around with "Behead everyone that offends the prophet" signs at the moment."

I upvoted, but don't like this sentence as it lacks a crucial adjective, namely "extremist".

s/idiot/extremist/

Silver badge
Boffin

First this 'evidence' is irrelevant at this point in time.

The time to argue the evidence is when Assange goes to trial in Sweden.

Having said that, at trial, the lack of conclusive evidence doesn't hurt the case against Assange as much as the defense team claims...

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Re: The smoking gun..

"Only if Assange is then arrested and imprisoned for breaking bail." And made to explain to all his faithful why he was so happy to hide behind an abuser of free speech like Correa.

BTW, if the Swedish case collapses, doesn't this remove the need for the Swedes to rule on any extradition request? That's good news as now the British courts can fast track any US extradition request whilst St Jules is doing time for bail jumping.

Silver badge
Boffin

"...Did he break bail..." Yes it's still a separate offence. The judge could even throw in contempt of court.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Goat, if the Muslim had a specific threat on his placard, such as "behead all Christians", then that would be a crime in the UK.

Gold badge

Sigh. He has not been charged because The Swedish process demands him to be present before that can happen. Do you think you don't have a parking ticket because you refuse to open the envelope too?

If he had gone over there as asked they would have started to examine the evidence earlier, and this would have been found sooners, saving us the misery of having to read about it again

.. and again ..

.. and again ..

.. and again ..

.. and again ..

Personally I would have liked to help nail him in a box and ship him to Ecuador. I don't specifically care where he ends up, as long as I stop hearing of him. I am as interested in his

Silver badge

Re: The smoking gun.. @garbo

""To have a trial. You know that thing where evidence is tested to determine if the accused is guilty of a crime"

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he have to be *charged* with a crime before arrest, trial, conviction, extradition to Guantanamo via USA?

Assange has NOT been charged. Or doesn't that matter anymore?"

Oh for the love of God, not this shite again. Engage brain first: Sweden is another country. It's possible (and in fact true) that their legal system doesn't work the same way as the one you know.

Boffin

I think this has been discussed to death on other threads.

Under British law (and, from what I understand, most countries laws) this is correct. However in Sweden it is different. You have to be interviewed, then charged, then trial.

Assange has skipped town before the interview takes place, so Sweden cannot charge him yet, although they have stated they want to.

This argument was also considered by the British Judge who said (something along the lines of) If he was accused of the same actions in the UK he would have been arrested and charged here.

This point is, I believe, well known by many commenting on this case but ignored as it is inconvenient.

Of course I'm not a lawyer so might have got this wrong, but when others have pointed this out its not refuted, just down-voted, ignored and then the original argument made again. (Oh damn-it I think i just fed the trolls!)

Bronze badge

Maybe it also suggests political motivation too (that is rapidly running out of justified space)?

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Sweden is quite capable of interviewing him in the UK - and has done similar in other previous cases. But they are refusing to do this for him - which leads to the conclusion that this is polictically motivated and that the USA are hoping to get him extradited.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that Assange's dispute with the Swedish authorities was his fear, real or imaginary, of the said authorities extraditing him to the USA to face federal charges.

Thumb Up

"For some reason he doesn't want to submit to that process"

"that process"

He's been on the record numerous times stating that he's willing to submit to the Swedish trial PROVIDED he won't be abducted by US Agents.

I'm surprised that you don't know this and can only conclude either:

1) you have not paid even cursory attention to the case;

2) you are simply trolling; or

3) you are a fucking retard.

Silver badge
WTF?

"Sweden is quite capable of interviewing him in the UK - and has done similar in other previous cases..." RICHTO, please provide a verifiable link to proof that Sweden has done so before in a case of rape where the wanted skipped the country to avoid questioning. I'm betting you can't because I can't find an example. It looks like just another bit of unsubstantiated blather from the A$$nut groupies, intent on muddying the waters rather than seeking truth and justice.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Somerset John, A$$nut's "fear, real or imaginary, of the said authorities extraditing him to the USA to face federal charges" is his EXCUSE for not dealing with his legal dispute of possibly being charged with two counts of rape in Sweden.

FAIL

Re: "For some reason he doesn't want to submit to that process"

>PROVIDED he won't be abducted by US Agents.

I assume you mean he want a guarantee that Sweden will not extradite him to the USA.

This is a guarantee everyone knows they cannot possibly give as:

1) There has been no extradition request, so he is effectively asking they guarantee they will never extradite him not matter what the circumstances. (i.e a free pass to (unrelated) commit crimes in the USA)

2) No one has the power to give any such guarantee, and if they did it would be worthless

3) There is no justification for giving any such guarantee

That's like saying I will 'submit' myself to your legal process if you can prove 1=2.

I'm surprised that you don't know this and can only conclude either:

1) you have not paid even cursory attention to the case;

2) you are simply trolling; or

3) you are a fucking retard.

Silver badge
FAIL

Shadbag, you really haven't been paying attention in the Churh of the Holy A$$nut, have you? The Swedish courts cannot deny an extradition request from the US without due legal process, the first stage of that being the US actually issuing an extradition request. The US has not. Even if the US did, it would be unconstitutional for the Swedish government to issue a guarantee they will not extradite him to the US as it is not their authority to do so but the Swedish court's. The CIA may plan an illegal abduction, an extraordinary rendition, but why you think they would engage in such a publicity nightmare when A$$nut is destroying his credibility all on his lonesome is beyond me (did voices in your head suggest it?). And why you think the Swedish government would be able to guarantee another country's secret squirrel org would or would not do anything? So, ergo, the Swedish government cannot issue any gurantee and the Swedish court cannot issue any such guarantee. Which A$$nut knows but his groupies still keep harping on about a gurantee even when this has been discussed here on these forums on at least three other threads. All of which leads me to conclude;

1) you have not paid even cursory attention to the case because you get all your information, ideas and "thoughts" spoonfed to you;

2) you are too unintelligent to troll as even the stupidest troll would actually think to check the previous threads on similar articles on a forum so as to avoid looking like a completely moronic tool;

3) you are too obtuse, naive and duped to warrant the insult to the mentally impaired by associating your self-induced condition with their unfortunate mental state.

Now, go get a responsible parent to explain the longer words to you.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Re: "For some reason he doesn't want to submit to that process"

To The Commenter formally known as Matt, whilst I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the extradition angle, please do not use the term "fucking retard" in relation to the unfortunate dupe Shadbag.

Firstly, it is simply insulting to those that are unfortunate to be menatlly-impaired, through no fault of their own, but who still strive to be productive members of society, whereas it is clear Mr Shadbag's issues are self-inflicted.

Secondly, it gives me a great sense of worry to consider that Mr Shadbag is fucking, seeing as procreation might result, and that really would be a curse on his country's future.

Coat

I apologise unreservedly for both the insult and the profound worry which I inadvertently caused

Anonymous Coward

Downvoted for "A$$nut groupies".

Silver badge
Thumb Down

"Downvoted for "A$$nut groupies". Sorry, downvoted for not having a sense of humour, being unable to post anything vaguley informative, and for thinking I'd even give a damn that you would downvote it! Come on, you can read and type so you must have an opinion on the Assange matter, why not post it?

ACx

So, almost amusingly, if the DNA is not Assange's, then shouldn't this CIA agent, sorry, rape victim, say who's the DNA is? Or, if it didn't come from her, then where on earth did the Swedish police get the Jonny from? Heh, if only we had a comprehensive DNA database...........

Wonder how long it will be before Camoron is up in parliament apologising yet again?

Silver badge

@Acx

Oh, ye of little comprehension, lack of conclusive DNA evidence, does not mean it was from someone else just that it cannot be positively identified as coming (couldn't resist that) from Assange. Condoms also contain a spermicide which may have destroyed the DNA so it could be that the chances of retrieving a usable sample were slim to start with. Hardly reason to claim evidence tampering.

Silver badge

Re: @Acx - @Me

After reading more replies it seems Acx is not alone in his/her inability to comprehend what he/she has read. I blame the education system, either that or these pages have been invaded by DM readers.

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: @Acx

Senator Akin, is that you?

"Condoms also contain a spermicide which may have destroyed the DNA so it could be that the chances of retrieving a usable sample were slim to start with. Hardly reason to claim evidence tampering."

Good Lord, I cannot even blame the education system for this... sheer loudmouthed stupidity, that is.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: @Acx - @Me

At least he has an excuse - you, Senator Akin, however, are left without any so we can conclude you are indeed this terrible and hopelessly clueless.

"Condoms also contain a spermicide which may have destroyed the DNA so it could be that the chances of retrieving a usable sample were slim to start with. Hardly reason to claim evidence tampering."

Sooo that's why murderers wipe condoms around the crime scene before making their escape!

Silver badge

Yes we have conclusive proof that these forums have been taken over by DM readers with the comprehension skills of a three year old wellington boot.

Please note my use of the word may as in "which MAY have destroyed the DNA", in other words I am not stating conclusively but offering a possible explanation. As you obviously know the workings of the chemical reaction between sperm and spermicide then please let us all know.

As for Dante : If murderers do indeed wipe condoms around a crime scene they are leaving behind the bodily fluids of a female, and where do they get these presumably used condoms from in the first place? Can't find any on eBay. Maybe they ask a mate for one but that wouldn't be the done thing. I know, they hang around Kings Cross and pick them up off the street. Please engage your brain before coming up with wild fantasies.

Paris Hilton

I find this all most interesting as I have not been an active participant in this process for some time now.

I must keep reading ,there is much technical information being revealed

Silver badge

Very strange

In these 'modern' times, especially in a modern country such as Sweden, how could anyone be so stupid as to submit fake evidence of this nature? As a separate point, how did it take so long for these DNA tests to be performed?

Silver badge

Re: Very strange

The real world isn't anything like CSI.

However I suspect the tests were completed long ago and we're only just finding out about it now.

g e
Silver badge
Holmes

It probably wasn't the Swedes that faked it, the USA probably handed them the damned thing and said here's your proof to go with the victim we provided earlier.

Silver badge

...why, it's almost as if the case doesn't matter at all. Just the chance to get him into custody for the yanks...

Anonymous Coward

Having spent alot of time in sweden you have to realise that most of them are rule book following robots.

They have trouble deciding things for themselves and often panic if there is no clear known procedure.

If they are unaware that flights go from gatwick to landvetter, they are convinced dont exist (in coll.swedish--- DET GA INTE---useless fuckers).

Also because they are robots they cannot serve on juries. They would not be able to make a decision without years of legal training. They would all be confused and not know what to do. Like daleks they would be out of control, except they would be calmer about it. So what happens is they do not have juries. This means everything in the swedish legal system becomes part of an automaton, which politicians and the I guess now the CIA can exploit.

The stanglers summed it up pretty well, in their song "all quiet on the eastern front".

Silver badge

"Also because they are robots they cannot serve on juries. They would not be able to make a decision without years of legal training. They would all be confused and not know what to do. Like daleks they would be out of control, except they would be calmer about it. So what happens is they do not have juries. This means everything in the swedish legal system becomes part of an automaton, which politicians and the I guess now the CIA can exploit."

They also don't have jury trials in for example Germany, Spain, Poland, Finland, and many other European countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_trial

Anonymous Coward

yeah but swedens reason is due to its high `robot personality' percentage.

Just go there and find the local state off license (system bolaget) and you will see what procedurally bound unimaginative people they are

Silver badge

I must admit that I've never actually set foot in a Systembolaget when I've been in Sweden, but all the Swedish people I know seem entirely normal...

Anonymous Coward

I know nothing about Assange

But simply using the legal system to ruin people or sales now appears to be common practise.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I know nothing about Assange

It worked for Hillsborough. But rubbishing the reputation of tens of thousands of people would usually be a bit too far.

It's just a shame Wikileaks couldn't get any information on that event, it would have been a popular move.

Official secrets seem to be more about protecting people's careers and keeping them out of jail instead of protecting national security.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: I know nothing about Assange

Funny, but sad.

None of this would really be news worthy had Assange just manned up and had not fled jurisdiction in the first place.

If you want someone to blame for this circus blame Assange

Happy

ha ha

Is there anybody left who believes this case is real? This chick can't even tell who was up her. Maybe they should rope the local goat herd and head for the US. Should be a big hit on Broadway.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: ha ha

Maybe you should wait for the trial rather than basing your whole decision on rumor. Or would that be asking too much of your goldfish-like attention span?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.