Feeds

back to article Apple iPhone 5 hands-on review

Last night in San Francisco, Apple CEO Tim Cook presented his third keynote in fine, relaxed form. There were announcements about iTunes, a longer iPod nano and colourful iPod touch models. But the night belonged to the iPhone, not to be dubbed the new iPhone, but the iPhone 5. Hacks in London were treated to a simultaneous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

its rubbish

Too much hype - not enough

Samsung is far better - better screen, better memory expansion options, better wifi tethering and apple are still flogging the same UI, same phone - wheres the 3D screen? This should have been called iPhone4.2 not iPhone5. Apple sucks again

Bronze badge
Devil

Re: its rubbish

Hey wait a minute! It's not rubbish...it has that new, faster 4g LTE chip in it!!! Imagine that...Apple FIRST with LTE in a Smartphone!

What's that? Every other Smartphone has had 4g LTE for over a year? And the phone will not work in most of Europe on LTE? Can't be. Everyone knows Apple is at the forefront of technology. The OTHERS are the ones playing catch-up.

Anonymous Coward

Yep, same old UI. That one the customers love, and know how to use, and that results in best in industry customer satisfactions scores. Best thing to do when you've an OS/UI like that is rip it up and start again. (think, Microsoft Office where as a 15+ year user of Word with Office 2010 I now struggle to find basic functions.)

Did you skip over Office 2007 because it's practically the same interface.

Joke

But what would Samsung owners talk about if it wasn't for the iPhone??

(Can someone wake me up when the smartphone jihad is over!)

Anonymous Coward

Corporate environment - went from 2003 to 2010 . I use Word on the Mac as well - current mac version is better than win BUT the interface is some crazy mishmash with both a ribbon AND toolbars and menus.

rvt
Stop

"Yep, same old UI."

The Windows UI still hasn't changed much since Windows 95, still the start button at the bottom left, same bar at the bottom. Yet everybody still bought Windows machines.

What I am trying to say is that no UI change doesn't mean something is bad. Not everybody want's a custom UI, only on Linux I would 'tweak' my UI, on windows/OSX I never had a need for that.

jai
Silver badge
WTF?

"Yep, same old UI."

windows did a pretty big UI overhaul with Vista - that was a remarkably successful example of what a good idea it is to change the UI that everyone loves. In fact, microsoft must have been so pleased with the results because they've gone even further with win8 and totally changed all the bits that user liked about their old UI.

yep, AC @13:02 is absolutely correct, totally changing the UI is the best thing any company could do

FAIL

"Yep, same old UI. That one the customers love, and know how to use..."

Ignorant customers love it. Pull out an Android phone and show them homescreen widgets (such as your email inbox or your calendar) and they instantly go "wow! that would be great to have!" Sure, you can launch an App, perhaps have to wait for it to open/load depending on your iOS, but having it on the homescreen is very convenient. We'll see how long until Apple steals widgets like they did the notification pulldown...

The only valid point you give is the "know how to use." Swapping a UI in a major way (Ribbons, in your example, or the Not-Metro UI of Win8) is a major problem. However, the transition can be done, and it can sometimes be fairly painless. Look at how Android added a task manager in 3.0+. I'm not a big fan of the permanent black bar on their Tablets, but the phone execution of 4.0 tasks is flawless. Apple could do the same if they tried.

Trollface

who cares about the iphone5 , nobody can tell the difference... even iphone owners !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4

Anonymous Coward

>still the start button at the bottom left, same bar at the bottom. Yet everybody still bought Windows machines

I prefer it at the top - on Windows 7 the last few pixels of the start button are missing if you put it at the bottom and that irritates. Office monkeys living in a couple of apps with widescreen tend to push the taskbar to the sides to gain extra screen estate.

.....and of course you aren't stuck with the Explorer shell in Windows and can replace it if you prefer a different desktop entirely or for kiosks, appliances etc.

Fandroids always seem angry but then I guess if my favourite platform's highlights were piracy, malware and privacy invasion then I'd be upset too.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

"Fandroids always seem angry but then I guess if my favourite platform's highlights were piracy, malware and privacy invasion then I'd be upset too."

May i point you to this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/20/secret_iphone_location_tracking/

I spose it is easy to ignore things like that when you are ignorant enough to own one in the first place.

Have an android but i'd own anything that wasn't made by Apple before the fanboi cries begin. Is it possible to be a hateboi? Maybe i'm that. /care.

FAIL

And it doesn't do NFC contactless payments, I guess you'll have get a S3 for that.

If crApple spent more on innovating instead of litigating then they woulden't be the ones playing catch up. Or does somebody else hold the patents for NFC contactless payments?

Bronze badge

For me, it is a bonus that an iPhone is not going to be spraying my cash out to every other phone it bumps into. There are enough flaws with my chip-and-pin credit card without my phone automating my losses.

Anonymous Coward

Its about choice....

if you don’t want to use contactless payments, then don't set up payment details a phone that has this facility.

the thing about smartphones in this day and age is that the top end phones on the market should include all options. Think about when you are selecting your phone, you list features that it must have,each manufactures flagship phones should cover all of them, even if some of the features you will never use. Its up to you to decide if the price of the handset is justifiable depending on how much of it you are not going to use.

And crApple don't mention the new, smaller power connector, of course crApple will sell you an adaptor but it probably makes all docking stations obsolete.

The new SIM card is 44pc smaller and is therefore incompatible with existing phones, so you can't just stick your old SIM into an IPhoney 5 and expect it to work.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah, 'cos OS9 to OSX had no change whatsoever!

Anonymous Coward

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/11/apple-took-3-years-to-fix-finfisher-trojan-hole/

FAIL

Re: its choice

"Its about choice...."

You're right. It is about choice.

Do you like Android? Buy an Android. Prefer BlackBerry? Get one (quick, before they fold). You like Windows? Get a Windows phone. You like Apple? Get an iPhone.

Personally, I prefer iPhones. I went from an iPhone to an Android phone, I've had the Android pgone for a couple of years now, and I'm going back to iPhone. Other people may come to different conclusions. That's OK. It's about choice. Different people have different tastes.

But fer Chrissakes, quit whining like someone stepped on your puppy. It's a phone, not a Holy Chalice. You don't need to validate your wounded ego by bleating about how awful the other choice is and how only a rank idiot with the cognitive capacity of a rabid weasel on crystal meth would ever be so stupid to choose the other.

Seriously, these holy wars were tiresome back in the TRS-80 vs. Commodore-64 days.

Thinth

Am I alone in finding thinner phones more awkward to handle?

I'm not sure it is one of the races I would be trying too hard to win - bigger batteries would be better for me.

Re: Thinth

This.

Not that I personally am interested in the iPhone, but if I was I'd be MUCH happier with a few more hours standby than a slightly thinner handset.

Bronze badge

It's weight they're prioritising, not thinness, if you're going to keep it the same width but make it taller and keep the same runtimes than you're going to have to account for the extra volume by shaving the depth or it's clearly going to be heavier.

That the runtime is actually improved* while jamming in 4G and a bigger hungrier display is pretty good.

My take, seems like a nice phone, not sold on 16:9, but I don't watch media on my 4, NFC seems like an odd ommision, TBT is long overdue. If it had a 3D display (as mentioned above), I wouldn't even consider it, IMHO 3D displays (all of them), are still as crap as they were the last two times they tried to foster them on us, I can't begin to relate to someone who would want that on a mobile device

Will wait until I have a hands on with one before I decide if its worth upgrading or cutting my contract bills instead.

Re: weight they're prioritising, not thinness

Are you sure about that?

They must've had quite a few headaches (and clearly given Sharp a few as well) with that new thinner screen, the biggest benefit of which appears to be, err, thinness.

A plastic case would also save more weight.

I'm not saying weight wasn't an issue, but clearly thinness was a major goal.

Silver badge

Didn't they claim it would have a new touchscreen with sensors embedded, substantially reducing its thickness. IMHO they should have used that reduction to fit a fatter battery, not make the phone thinner.

Silver badge
Linux

Re: Screen advantages

The new screen is indeed thinner, but I don't think that was the driver.

Tim Cook is noted as being a wizard production process man, and has been credited with a lot of the advances Apple has made in how they build their stuff. The new screen has, as you say, the touchscreen sensors built in, eliminating an apparently tricky and occasionally failure-prone process of sticking the touchscreen to the glass front.

I suspect the reduction in thickness was just a useful byproduct.

GJC

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Yeah, what's teh point of 'thinnest ever'? Surely there's some cutoff point where the phone just gets very awkward to handle. Also, the biggest component in the back of every phone is the battery, and the on area smartphones really suck compared to non-smartphones is battery life. I wonder what percentage of smartphone owners would happily accept a 0.5mm thicker phone for an extra hour battery life, I suspect it would be quite high.

Good job with the weight reduction though. Pre-smartphone the lightest phones were about 70-80g, so breaking back below the 100g level is a sensible target.

Silver badge

"Am I alone in finding thinner phones more awkward to handle?"

Most iPhones I see are living in ugly thick cases because their owners spent so much on the thing they're terrified of breaking it. Makes you wonder why anyone cares what the damned things look like so rarely are they seen nude.

Silver badge

>Am I alone in finding thinner phones more awkward to handle?

I found my aluminium Xperia P a bit easy to fumble, so placed a strip of self-adhesive plastic down one side. I haven't been able to find a silicone case for it yet.

>Yeah, what's teh point of 'thinnest ever'? Surely there's some cutoff point where the phone just gets very awkward to handle.

Not necessarily, for example a credit card can be held by its edges fairly securely. With the first square iPod Nano (with the little scroll wheel), the polycarbonate face was deliberately made sharp, so as not to slip from the finger tips. To prevent slip you can either up the co-efficient of friction by choosing a different material, or you can increase the pressure by decreasing the surface area (like the knurling on a Maglite body)

Well to be honest I am not that concerned about weight either.

I think my phone is something like a third again the weight of this new iPhone and it doesn't feel heavy at all.

I quite like to have some heft to this sort of thing.

So if they were making a device for me they'd make the battery bigger (& removable, please )and the device being thicker and heavier as a result would cause me no distress at all.

Gold badge
Happy

"I quite like to have some heft to this sort of thing."

Is this so you can use it as a projectile?

You are either Gordon Brown or Naomi Campbell, and I claim my £5...

Meh

Did you actually read the review? He says the claim is that it does have a longer battery life too.

Silver badge

Absolutely, why not make it a few mm thicker and add an extra 1000mAh* in there? Having a battery which could simultaneously handle Wi-Fi, GPS and mobile signal drain and last more than a day without having to be left on the charger would be a genuine advantage to many people.

*Yes I know it's 1Ah, but for some reason that's the units battery capacities seem to be measured in.

Silver badge

"Am I alone in finding thinner phones more awkward to handle?"

I don't think they've reached the point of being hard to handle - they're still perfectly comfortable in that regard (screen size is more of an issue for me). But I don't see any great benefit of having them this thin though. Like everyone else on here is saying, more battery life is a far better selling point than shaving a few milimetres off the thickness. Ditto for weight. Even my little hands can handle a phone that weighs more than this. Not that I'm not impressed by the technical progress, but I think it's more for the fashonistas than for practical purposes..

Anonymous Coward

We've had stupid form factor trends before, like when all the handset makers were trying to make the smallest phone before smartphones took off. That also made the battery smaller, the keys unusable to everyone but spider monkeys, and the screen only readable by people with mega-bifocals. Maybe the next version has a PP9 in your pocket attached by a curly cable, you know, wearable technology like the brickphone :P

Coat

[Hangs coat up...]

[...sits down and gets the popcorn ready]

This'll be good!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Popcorn

is so 2011. Let it go, there's a love.

Pint

Re: [Hangs coat up...]

Last time I suggested popcorn I got a downvote or three, so I've decided to stick with bacon sandwiches. More filling... and fulfilling whilst all the iphone fans try to convince us that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread (white, apparantly better for my bacon sandwiches - although I'd rather have a bread roll....)

Pint. Cider, one thereof, for future consuption whilst sniggering quietly.

Anonymous Coward

"Last time I suggested popcorn I got a downvote or three, so I've decided to stick with bacon sandwiches."

Don't get too comfortable with the bacon sandwiches: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/13/bacon_crisis/

Anonymous Coward

"Last time I suggested popcorn I got a downvote or three"

one of those might have been me... I am sick of popcorn......

"so I've decided to stick with bacon sandwiches"

Another down vote, by the time this is all sorted out we will all be dying of blocked arteries with cholesterol levels through the roof.

but for suggesting a pint of cider*, overall its a up-vote !!!elevinty 11!!!!

*so long as its a scrumpy jack....

Meh

Awww, how cute, you base your comments around imaginary points with no meaning.

If that's the case, I'll get the ball rolling on your downvotes.

Anonymous Coward

Wow, if this is the jump for the generation imagine how underwhelming the S variant will be.

iPhone 5S - We put an S on the case this time!

Bronze badge

I don't think we'll see an iPhone 5S

Unless they go with the subliminal aspect and replace the Apple logo with a death's head skull.

</,godwin>

Bronze badge

Boring, but still an upgrade?

Not going to get it myself, but it looks OK. Slightly bigger jump from 4S to 5 than it was from 4 to 4S.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

At first glance the newly announced handset looks like an iPhone 4S

Really? I thought it looked like a Samsung.

Anonymous Coward

Re: At first glance the newly announced handset looks like an iPhone 4S

Yes, a lot of people have noticed that a number of Samsung's phones look like iPhones - including an entire jury.

WTF?

Re: Looks like a Samsung?

I need to put them side by side in a shop to be sure but my first impression is that it doesn't look at all like a PSP slim and therefore doesn't look at all like a Samsung.

Bronze badge

@Ralph 5

Stand up straighter. Maybe the joke will hit you in the face instead of flying over your head nex time.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.