back to article Fujitsu boffins to help build uni exam-beating bot

Workers at IT giant Fujitsu will try to make every stressed-out Japanese student’s dream come true by building a robot capable of passing one the country’s most taxing university entrance exams. The Todai Robot project was begun in 2011 by Japan’s National Institute of Informatics (NII) to answer a simple question: “Can a Robot …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

I always hated these super hard exams because it tests your ability to pass exams and not your actual ability in the subject. This is especially prevalent when comparing a non subjective subject like mathematics and say English.

I concede that if you know your subject you should be able to pass the exam , but that top 5%-10% that these Universities are looking for don't always think and articulate their knowledge like everyone else.

A student that loves the right or wrong aspect of mathematics and argued incessantly with every lecturer that when a question asks, "in your opinion..bla,bla, bla" that my answer can never be wrong, ever!

Paris - because the amount of money spent on her education makes it hard for me to believe shes that moronically stupid.

Discuss

What about different types of exam questions, that end with the dreaded word 'discuss'?

e.g. "Current macroeconomic policy. Discuss."

Stop

"...by building a robot capable..."

Robot or software?

If they can build a robot capable of walking into an exam room, sitting in it's allocated chair, picking up a pencil and ticking relevant boxes / handwriting answers then yes I would be impressed.

Otherwise, they are just following in the footsteps of IBM's Watson surely?

Pint

@ Clive Galway

That, and looking around at the other robots and panicking. And rushing to finish before the room-leaving cut off time, in order to get down the boozer.

LMU

It would be easier if they were designing a robot for use at LMU.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums