Feeds

back to article Reviewers say ‘yes’ to Higgs boson data

Two months ago, CERN set the physics world a-fire with its Higgs boson announcement: the particle exists, they said, we’ve seen it, and it has a mass of between 122 and 131 GeV. At that point, the “discovery” entered a long formal process that’s taken another small step with publication – and therefore acceptance by peer review …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

whoa!

A rather ...impressive.. list of contributors in both articles, and a nice dedication showing how *long* the whole process has been.

And the articles are not behind a paywall for a change.. *shock*

Thumb Up

Re: whoa!

> And the articles are not behind a paywall for a change.. *shock*

Indeed, and it gets better, from the "Open Access" section of each article:

> his article is published Open Access atsciencedirect.com.It is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0,

Silver badge

rubber-stamping?

How is this rubber-stamping?

Silver badge
Pint

Re: rubber-stamping?

Keywords: "close to".

Meaning (in this context, roughly, paraphrasing, not speaking for the original author): "We are a gnat's ass away from being able to routinely assume Higgs boson actually can exist as described by prior calculation, and therefore feel free to use that data to help further our knowledge of particle physics, at least until somebody proves otherwise."

Hope this helps.

A toast to Peter Higgs ... and the folks who built & run the LHC ... is in order :-)

Silver badge
Pint

Re: rubber-stamping?

Before the "Higgs Boson", which Peter Higgs calls "the boson that has been named after me", there was the now so-named "mechanism", called the "Anderson, Brout, Englert, Guralnik, Hagen, Higgs, Kibble and 't Hooft mechanism" by Peter Higgs, which was developed by quite a few people, working together or in competition over many years (a UK postal strike was even involved in determining what paper went to print first), so you have to toast to them all:

Philip Anderson

Robert Brout

François Englert

Gerald Guralnik

Carl Hagen

Peter Higgs

Tom Kibble

Gerard t'Hooft

This post has been deleted by its author

yes yes very cool

Now go find me some anti-gravitons for my hoverboard

Anonymous Coward

Do I understand this correctly, the mass of the particles that create mass is about 130GeV?

Boffin

I suggest a view of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uh5mTxRQcg&feature=share&list=ECED25F943F8D6081C

(followed by parts 2 and 3), which briefly covers how a particle is a field and visa versa.

Thumb Up

I know nothing of particle physics

I simply trust that those working on the subject have a good grip on what's involved and how to avoid blowing us up... so far this mutual agreement of my blind stupidity and ignorance and their intelligence and knowledge has worked out well in the non-blowing up of us... well me in particular, fuck the rest of you ;-)

I therefore am assuming that finding this bosun of Higgs is a great advance in our.. and when I say our, I mean their... understanding of the universe, life and everything. In which case. Well done guys, a remarkable achievement and thank you once again for confirming my trust by not blowing me up.

This topic is closed for new posts.