back to article HP preps designer desktops for Windows 8

HP has announced the world's thinnest all-in-one desktop PC and remains prepared for Windows 8 with the addition a touchscreen model too. The HP Spectre One, so the company claims, is the slimmest AIO machine on the planet, at a mere 11.5mm thick. HP Spectre One The slim beast features a 23.6in flush-glass display, runs on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. andreas koch
    Unhappy

HP has hopefully paid their 30% iTax

because I see a "blatant copy of our intellectual property" coming up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, to quote the great man himself

“Hewlett and Packard built a great company, and they thought they had left it in good hands, but now it’s being dismembered and destroyed. I hope I’ve left a stronger legacy so that will never happen at Apple.”

Steve Jobs, 2011

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh also

When I saw the headline 'HP preps designer desktops' I didn't realise the designer was going to be Sir Jonathan Ive...

3. N13L5
      Devil

who...

Who gives a rats ass about the freaking 'world's thinnest" AIO, when the stand is fugly and it has no graphics capability?

Have people all lost their minds? Shape over substance to the extreme - on a ...computer? Its like they're advertising fashion models. Oh I see, they're compensating... some kind of weird computer pron...

Well, I'm not against making computers or any machinery look good... but this is starting to become like making the "world's skinniest subway train" Look! ...only half a meter wide, people have to stand in a long row and its hard to get out, also has to go really slow in curves, but its sooooo thin!!!

Now I know why FEMA is building these giant camps in the U.S. capable of holding millions... its for all the people who are slowly going insane.

4. dogged
      Thumb Up

Re: HP has hopefully paid their 30% iTax

I hope so!

I bet Apple don't get the same prederential treatment when suing an American company.

2. Smithson

Is slimness really important in this kind of machine? Personally I'd rather have it thicker but without that massive foot/leg where all its laptop components are undoubtedly crammed.

1. andreas koch

@Smithson -

Agreed.

Really and truly I'd even prefer something that is "user-serviceable" to some extend, and where I have the choice of maybe popping a card or so in, if I need to . . .

3. Steve Knox
    Trollface

Hmmm... Spectre...

(from dictionary.com)

2. A mental image of something unpleasant or menacing.

Yep, sound like an HP desktop!

4. Alan Dougherty

Indeed

I have had a IIyama touch screen for over a year, and, it is good, depending on what you need to do.. (spreadsheets, flight sims, etc when you get used to the interface, despite MS failing to push out half decent drivers, that 3rd parties can make use of).. but where in the bloody hell I'm I supposed to cram in the second gfx card and water cooler in that thing?

I'll stick to custom builds thanks... and it'll still be cheaper..

5. pPPPP

Can someone explain to me why you would want to have a trackpad on a desktop machine as opposed to a mouse? Seriously, I don't get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can someone explain to me why you would want to have a trackpad on a desktop machine as opposed to a mouse? Seriously, I don't get it.

Don't ask HP because they don't know why either. They just saw Apple doing it and decided to rip off their design, but that's ok right?

2. AF
      Happy

BTT FTW

I didn't get it either, until I tried it. Haven't used a mouse for over a year now (not even for graphics). Mind you, if it wasn't for BetterTouchTool, I'm not quite so sure I'd feel the same way - but a multi-touch trackpad with suitable gestures beats a mouse for me. Even switching back to my Logitech mouse with six buttons and two scroll wheels feels limiting...!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can someone explain

"Can someone explain to me why you would want to have a trackpad on a desktop machine as opposed to a mouse? "

To use the multitouch gestures in Windows 8

6. Khaptain Silver badge

Logo should be an Orange with a bite taken out.

An all-in-one screen/PC, an aluminium lookalike chassis, a puny keyboard that does not have a numeric keypad, a trackpad. I wonder where there design department "created" their ideas from.

I am surprised that it doesn't have a thunderbolt port and a magnetic power supply thingy.....

7. John P
    Coffee/keyboard

Be careful HP, that shares at least one aspect in common with an iDevice...lots more if we throw out common sense and start making shit up.

1. RichyS

At least one? At least five...

8. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

Screen resolution

I know I bang on about this, but it is nearly the end of 2012 and people are making computers whose resolutions they are so ashamed of they are keeping it a secret.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Screen resolution

A whole five seconds of googling inidcates that these things offer 1080p.

Is your point that 1080p is poor, that you don't believe the 1080p figure widely mentioned elsewhere, or that the Reg article didn't mention this?

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: Screen resolution

My point is most of that.

1. I ggoled extensively before commenting, and found something like 50 stories, none of which mentioned the resolution, suggesting it was not in the original press release, and therefore that HP were looking at their shoes a bit on that aspect. Neither the HP web site nor the press release page mentioned the resolution, even to the point of using the meaningless "HD".

2. Yes, I think that in 2012 1080 vertical is rather feeble on a 23 inch screen. And definitely a major let-down in what is supposed to be a premium product. 'Designer'? ho hum.

3. No, I do believe it, unfortunately. The hardware people have been letting us down rather badly in this respect.

4. Yes. There is a long tradition of journalists asking awkward questions instead of paste-pot re-use of a press release, and I had sort of hoped that El Reg might live up to its subversive self.

I'm guessing your search success came after a few hundred people had actually asked HP and the results had come out.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone please tell me

Why the hell I would want a touchscreen on a desktop machine? Has anyone ever tried to spend even a single afternoon reaching up and touching their screen a few times a minute? For single finger touches it is obviously inferior to a mouse 100% of the time, so it is only for multitouch gestures that you'd prefer a touchscreen. Maybe you want to reach out to a picture and do some pinch zooming, but how many people do that often enough that it is going to be a win for them over the old fashion ways we do this today via mouse?

On a laptop I could sort of see it for some who actually use them on their lap - while I wouldn't want a laptop with a touchscreen, at least you are close enough to the screen and not necessarily reaching out in such an unergonomic way as you must with a desktop.

I predict these touchscreen desktops never get used as touchscreens beyond the first week, after the users start waking up with shoulder pain. Once the first reports of "touchscreen shoulder" RSIs start coming in, they'll quickly disappear from the market for fear of lawsuits.

10. RichyS
    WTF?

Reselling (out)

I know HP used to resell the old HDD iPod (with an HP logo etched on the back). Are they now doing the same with the Apple keyboard and trackpad?

11. Anonymous C0ward
    Gimp

If that top one's not a complete rip-off

I don't know what is.

12. Stu 18
    FAIL

So far all of the AIO machines I have seen do not offer adjustable height on the screen. Which is pretty important to me when ordering bulk machines for work. Don't want to risk OOS issues. Also if the computer is in the foot, then I suppose the yellow pages can't be used as a 'temporary' booster either.

13. Robert E A Harvey

HSE

$MEGACORP made me do the 'sitting in a chair' training module again. It included the EU workstation directive stuff, about matching screen height to eye level. I am 1.96m tall If I follow all the recommendations I need two yellow pages under each desk leg, and three under the monitor which is already jacked up to wobble-matic levels.

as you say, an AIO is as bad as a laptop.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like