Feeds

back to article Why is the iPhone so successful? 'Cause people love 'em

Apple's iPhone may have its detractors, but they don't appear to include many folks who actually own one – yet another survey has shown that Apple's überpopular handset is beloved by a strong percentage of its users. "For the eighth consecutive study, Apple ranks highest among manufacturers of smartphones in customer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

but I thought I just read that Samsung sells more phones than Apple.

I'm confused by this article. I've just read somewhere else that Samsung sells more phones than Apple. Weird.

Re: but I thought I just read that Samsung sells more phones than Apple.

Ford sell rather more cars than Bentley do, but the latter beats the former in customer satisfaction.

Customer satisfaction isn't an indicator of market share. It's an indicator of how people feel after they've made their purchase.

Coat

Samsung do sell more phones than apple.... but Samsung sell different model numbers each phone unique... Apple only sell iPhones....

My personal opinion is that I hate apple products. But that is because of my own view of the technical side of actually owning one.... for the less technical savvy person they are great... very little to get confused with. It does what it does very well in a simple way.

The problems start with a iphone when a user gets one but they really want an android handset. so long as you are happy to play in a walled garden they are fine... and to be honest, most iphone users don’t even notice the wall...

also, as you have to pay a premium price for any apple product, you have to justify the price you paid. Telling everyone how wonderful it is is part of the mantra you adopt in being a apple customer.... Myself I cant justify the cost. Not when a new macbook pro costs £1800 and for £1000 I can get laptop with the same hardware specs. and hack a version of osx on it. Performance and stability-wise its exactly the same... but I cant justify £800 on it looking pretty...

but what do I know... my 16 year old daughter says she never wants any other phone than a iphone !

now where did I put my galaxy note !!! I lost it in my pocket again !!

Silver badge
Linux

Apple is no Bentley.

You would think that this "satisfaction" thing would drive market share. This is certainly true considering that there are few barriers to either enter or exit a mobile platform. These phones are all equally well subsidized.

Perhaps non-Apple users are just more demanding.

It's easier to be disappointed if you set your standards higher.

FAIL

'But that is because of my own view of the technical side of actually owning one.... for the less technical savvy person they are great'

I do love this attitude - 'Everyone would agree with me... if only everyone was as damn smart as I am'.

It's the kind of thing that makes us all so popular at parties.

Bronze badge

"My personal opinion is that I hate apple products. But that is because of my own view of the technical side of actually owning one.... for the less technical savvy person they are great... very little to get confused with. It does what it does very well in a simple way.

The problems start with a iphone when a user gets one but they really want an android handset. so long as you are happy to play in a walled garden they are fine... and to be honest, most iphone users don’t even notice the wall...

also, as you have to pay a premium price for any apple product, you have to justify the price you paid. Telling everyone how wonderful it is is part of the mantra you adopt in being a apple customer.... Myself I cant justify the cost. Not when a new macbook pro costs £1800 and for £1000 I can get laptop with the same hardware specs. and hack a version of osx on it. Performance and stability-wise its exactly the same... but I cant justify £800 on it looking pretty..."

Nailed.

Oh - and "snuck"? Jezuz krise - I hate what some Americans do to the language I love.

Silver badge
Meh

I agree- but I'm fucking sick of having to keep charging the battery on my Bentley, and my iPhone only does 2 mpg.

Anonymous Coward

Customer satisfaction......

Apparently most of those that rant about Apple don't own or have never owned an iPhone.

Now that's telling.....

Anonymous Coward

Some people

Some see a Ferrari and say 'that's cool'

Some see a Ferrari and say 'look at that wank** driving that Ferrari.'

Some see a picture of a lottery winner and say 'well done good luck lucky sods.'

Some see a picture of a lottery winner and say 'why should that bas***d win, it should be me.'

Some see an iPhone or iPad and say 'nice design looks great'

Some see an iPhone or iPad and say 'look at that tw*t with the iPhone'

It's just envy, but some people live their life by it..... Personally I think that is very sad.

Silver badge

Re: Some people

Some people drive a ferrari and enjoy the drive

Some drive a ferrari, talk about it at every opportunity and drive like they own the road

Some win the lottery and do something good

Some win the lottery and make pillocks of themselves

Some buy an iPhone/iPad and just enjoy using it

Some buy an iPhone/iPad and feel compelled to brag about how great it is

The thing about status symbols, is it isn't always jealousy driving the criticism (sometimes it might be), it may instead be that the person with said symbol feels superior and wants to show the 'plebs' how great they are by showing it off at every opportunity. Or it may be a simple case of not liking something someone else thinks is great.

Feeling the need to lord it over others, especially over a piece of electronic tat is just as sad as living an envious life IMHO

Coat

Re: Customer satisfaction......

most people who rant about suicide haven't tried it - what's your point here ?

Gimp

Don't own/never owned an iPhone... Likely someone they know showed them their amazing phone can store music on it and play games... and realised they can get the same from a choice of other handsets that could be perceived as being better value for money. The rants at Apple IMO are more directed at the mainstream dumbasses that own the iPhone for the shiny factor. Not anyone reading this forum of course! ;)

*shakes fist @ anonymous coward.

P.S I've never owned an iPhone and have refused to have one for work in favour of a humble Nokia (yes to make phone calls).

Anonymous Coward

I really don't understand this line,

"The problems start with a iphone when a user gets one but they really want an android handset. "

Why didn't they buy an android in the first place?

Bronze badge

As for those who dropped and shatttered one or more faces of their iPhones, I wonder how satisfied they are. They, too, probably cannot justify $800 on pretty. It seems they cannot even afford nor justify *$200* on cosmetic or physical repairs on their phones. But, to be fair, I do not know for how long they tolerate or let their phones remain shattered. I might see they are broken, but in reality they might fix them within 2 weeks or even sooner. But, if it looks fairly dirty or very scratched on the sides, too, I could presume a clumsy owner, maybe a lazy one. Still, it is quit a premium to pay for pretty.

Despite my vitriol toward Apple, I STILL find the 17-inch MacBook Pro to be the sexiest laptop out there, but the combination of price and of Apple's aggressiveness in trying to cripple smart phone makers is utterly galling. So, it would be very difficult for me to buy an Apple product and very difficult to logically separate out Customer Satisfaction from personal and group politics. Besides, I (and I cannot remember for certain), I need my up/down, left/right arrows to have separation from other keys, purely for tactile reasons when speed typing, and I need number keys separated, too. The HP Envy looks nice, too, but that damned 3-inch straight power pin as with all HP power adaptors and other sheepish companies' straight-pin power adaptors will prevent me from buying any model with such a power pin. They could force that reticent, resistant, control-freak-it-seems manufacturer (whoEVER it is) to change the pins, but for cost reasons, nobody will. Too much inertia and intransigence are in the way. I wonder what that would do for a customer satisfaction survey.

As for the walled garden, I wonder whether the survey asked whether the owner has hacked or rooted his or her phone or knows anyone who has, and how their emotional state impacted their satisfaction. Of course, Apple could always rest on the reports that no non-rooted phone to date has had virii or Trojans or "pawned" phones surface to date. Not sure of what could be claimed about Android-based phones.

Silver badge

@AC 23:08

Wow, it must suck to be you. A whole world of color and you're stuck with a B&W TV or perhaps since you only see envy it's an old P1 phosphor screen. Either way, I see a Ferrari and think 'why?' I see an iPhone and think 'why?' I see a lottery winner and I think, 'who?' You see to me cars and phones are tools and as long as they can efficiently do the job, I'm happy. A car that passes everything but a gas station doesn't impress and I don't want it, likewise a phone that has to be plugged in every day instead of every other week doesn't work for me. Further, I can't imagine why I would know any given person won the lottery although I did have a friend that did although you would never know it over a beer at the pub and he was great bridge partner to the point where it really isn't the same game now that he's passed.

That said, let me turn the tables on you and ask;

Some see a person who owns an AR-15 and say 'can I try that.'

Some see a person who owns an AR-15 and say 'what a crazy nutter, those things should be banned.'

Is it just envy? Or do some people aren't bothered by what others do, some are open to try new things and others pass judgement based on their personal prejudices. But you're right, it is very sad in the last case.

Bronze badge
Gimp

Apparently most of those that rant about Android don't own or have never owned an Android.

Now that's telling.....

Flame

Ask an iPhone user what phone to buy, they will tell you why they like the iPhone and recommend it.

Ask an android user what to buy, they spend the time telling you why you shouldn't buy an iPhone.

And that is most definitely telling.

Anonymous Coward

i can get an iphone at half price because the company i work for designed part of it and will subsidize the cost. but I just don't like being told what i can or cannot do with my phone. I understand that there are a lot of people who like apple phones and good for them.

it did make want to laugh though when a friend who bought an iphone wanted to share some photos from his phone using bluetooth. not sure if apple now allows you to share your own photos or not. maybe i set my standards too high when i feel the need to share photos with another phone over bluetooth.

...for fear of being branded a weirdo / loser / geek / anti-social........you get the point.

Gimp

See 1 Ferrari people do look at the Novelty & say Wow

See 1000 Ferrari's and the novelty aspect fast disappears and you fast become one of the crowd.

Put my iPhone down recently at a fiends & had to check which was mine as there were mostly fruity products.

My Galaxy S2 always has had more requests to be checked out though and the 2 are VERY similar hence the court cases.

Intriguing as to why such a discrepancy in the satisfaction for products so similar. Maybe those marketing guys do earn their corn?

Anonymous Coward

Re: That's telling

Telling what? That we don't want the Apple experience or that we do want something else. Either way, our reasons are not invalidated by not trying the iPhone.

To those of us that live outside the contract world of regular low-cost upgrades, a smart phone is one of our more expensive possessions. It's not like, hey, Samsung yesterday, I'll try Apple today, Nokia tomorrow; not if we want to do stuff like afford to eat as well. We have to make one decision, and, for better or for worse, stick with it for two or three years.

So no, I haven't ever owned an iPhone, and I almost certainly never will. Part of that is that I've never owned any Apple product and almost certainly never will. However, I heartily wish I'd bought shares in the company back in the days when I didn't agree with everyone who was predicting their imminent demise.

Anonymous Coward

@JEDIDIAH "Perhaps non-Apple users are just more demanding."

Absolutely not. And the objective measure is resale value. The iPhone simply has a proportionately higher resale value than any Android phone period. By proportionately I mean it loses a far lower percentage of it's original retail price during any given period of ownership.

Source:

http://priceonomics.com/phones/

Same applies when you check out the lost resale value of the Samsung SIII, which is actually greater than the average given in that blog post. So let's be clear, people who have bought and lived with one for any length of time who decide to sell are prepared for a greater loss than the average to shift it.

People who are more demanding are prepared to pay more to get specifically what they want. Trying to spin that any other way simply doesn't stand up.

Pint

"...The thing about status symbols..."

Viewing an iPhone as a 'status symbol' is utterly pathetic. Seriously.

[I'll truncate the post here. It would only get worse, and it's not my intent to be nasty. But seriously...]

"I do love this attitude - 'Everyone would agree with me... if only everyone was as damn smart as I am'."

that is far from what was said or even implied.... typical fanboiisam

I dont want everyone to agree with me... I don’t think an android handset or a iphone is right for everyone. I don’t assume or even think I am smarter than everyone or anyone else.

I have requirements from my phone that a iphone just cannot provide therefore I choose a android handset. I do believe I have better technical skills than most people in my circle of friends, but probably a lot lower than a lot of people that play the dick waving contests on the comments sections of the register...

and for clarity, my primary reason for my choice of android handset is that I wanted to produce an app that would only be of use to my and my business. It would cost me £100 to buy the apple SDK that would enable me to install my app on my phone. If I needed to roll out the app to other users, this would mean submitting it to the app store or jailbreak the iphone.... the SDK for the android platform is free and I can install apps from any source. For some people this would be very undesirable but for me essential.

It is a statement of fact that apple make products that are easy to use and allegedly "just work" including the iphone, so does that not suggest they are ideal for the less tech savvy?

Silver badge

@Jeffy Re: Some people

"...The thing about status symbols..."

Viewing an iPhone as a 'status symbol' is utterly pathetic. Seriously.

Given that the OP had listed it amongst things which could be considered status symbols (Ferrari, Lotsa cash etc) I worked on the assumption that s/he also viewed the iPhone as a status symbol. The sad fact is, a lot of people do though.

Personally, I consider it about as much of a status symbol as shopping at Waitrose instead of Tesco's is: it really isn't, but some people feel it is ;-)

Bronze badge

I tried one for a week. If you want the alarm to wake you up you have to leave it switched on all night. There's no light to spoil the 'beauty' of the design, but then you've no idea if you have any messages unless you check. So the my device makes ME go to IT. And to turn the Bluetooth on I need to navigate through 4 menus.

All fails, to name just three.

Anonymous Coward

@JEDIDIAH

You need to grow up. And be less stupid. And less of a stereotypical bitter, mindless, ideological-driven, pseudo-ethical, resentful, and dishonest Linux/FOSS evangelist.

Okay?

Bronze badge

"Apparently most of those that rant about Android don't own or have never owned an Android."

Problem here is people seldom rant about Android. Android users are happy with Android, and iOS users aren't interested enough in Android to be bothered.

Some Android users rant about Apple simply because something about Apple (as a business) gets their goat. Still, their choice - freedom of speech and all that.

Anonymous Coward

Hi Sarah! Nice to see that you have brought your own special kind of, errrr, insight, to the discussion.

rvt
WTF?

"Telling everyone how wonderful it is is part of the mantra you adopt in being a apple customer...."

So, what you are saying is that this (properly anonymous survey) is false and that everybody says that iPhones are great because they paid a lot of $$$ for it?

I don't think it's true, sure if you ask the individual you might get a biassed answer. But these surveys are not false in there outcome, of course they might also not 100% correct, but it will for sure not put any Android phone on top just people bought a expensive gizmo.

It's pretty well know that for the last couple of years people that buy apple products are fairly satisfied so I don't think in this casethe outcome is incorrect.

Pint

Re: @Jeffy Some people

@Ben Tasker

I agree with you. If one wishes to be careful with their money, then a perfectly function 2nd hand iPhone can be arranged for about the same price as a newspaper subscription. Anyone holding, or lusting after, an iPhone that believes it's a status symbol needs to consider the wise words of Jeremy Clarkson, " Your aspirations are pathetic man!"

Even Bentleys can be more of a brave lark than a status symbol. I was recently half-seriously considering buying a nice used one, but I decided instead to shingle the roof and take a trip for about the same total dollar amount. It could have gone either way. I've seen Kia brand cars (new) in the exact same price range as a low mileage Bentley Arnage.

Cheers.

Silver badge
Linux

They guy with the Ferrari is trapped in traffic like the rest of us.

You on the other hand are just some loser that thinks that overpaying for a cheap trinket makes you like that Ferrari driver or that he or you are any better than the rest of us. You are a stupid annoying moron. THAT is what tends to get people riled.

An Apple product is nothing to envy. Especially not heavily subidized mobile devices.

Silver badge
Linux

Oh great... the "resale value" argument.

Just about the most worthless thing that an Apple fanboy can say.

If you have to drone on about that kind of camel trader stupidity then you've already run off the rails and lost the point of owning things (tech or otherwise) in general.

You should realy concentrate on the reason why YOU would want to want something rather than coming up with lame reasons to try and impress total strangers just to convince yourself you make the right choice. You must have a really low opinion of your own decision making ability.

Silver badge
Linux

Re: @JEDIDIAH

I need to grow up? I'm not the one that needs to conflate my phone with a Ferrari. I'm not the one that needs to validate my choices with the crowd. I'm not the one that needs to impress random strangers.

I am more demanding. I'm probably about 5 or 10 years ahead of the average Apple user. This is epecially true for the ones that like to fixate on music when the question of DRM comes up.

Anonymous Coward

"Oh great... the "resale value" argument.

Just about the most worthless thing that an Apple fanboy can say."

He, he, twisting and flailing you've just frothed yourself into a corner there and now are approximately 1 step from total loss of argument. You, by saying what you have said you have made, as a matter of definition, me right and your wrong.

Think about it before making your usual reply with bile and spite. The argument I have made is *all* about worth and all about people putting their money where their mouth is. The worth of the argument is *actually measurable.* There is a subject called computer science for a reason. We are scientists and engineers. But where you say "Just about the most worthless thing that an Apple fanboy can say." You are contradicting an actual, measurable, real monetary value. One that proves all that jumble if thoughts you have in your head doesn't accord with reality and proves your use of the word worthless is, well, worthless. Yep, your froth flecked invective shows you are on the first step to reality twisted nutterdom and this argument just moved from check to checkmate.

Anonymous Coward

@ JEDIDIAH

Big chip on little shoulders.

Anonymous Coward

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EL REG

could you have an age limit to access this site, it's begining to be dominated by large numbers of pubescent underage teenagers.

Anonymous Coward

I just couldn't help myself ...

Some people have made the mistake of seeing Shunt's work as a load of rubbish about railway timetables, but clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, see this as a deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanized world. The points are frozen, the beast is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the point? The point is frozen, the beast is late out of Paddington. The point is taken. If La Fontaine's elk would spurn Tom Jones the engine must be our head, the dining car our oesophagus, the guard's van our left lung, the cattle truck our shins, the first-class compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck and the level crossing an electric elk called Simon. The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box. Shunt is saying the 8.15 from Gillingham when in reality he means the 8.13 from Gillingham. The train is the same only the time is altered. Ecce homo, ergo elk. La Fontaine knew his sister and knew her bloody well. The point is taken, the beast is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth. But is the truth, as Hitchcock observes, in the box? No there isn't room, the ambiguity has put on weight. The point is taken, the elk is dead, the beast stops at Swindon, Chabrol stops at nothing, I'm having treatment and La Fontaine can get knotted.

Pirate

But 800ukp is about 16 hours for a contractor, so the extra time taken to install on non-supported hardware (say a couple of hours), plus subsequent OS releases (my macs have taken around 4 OS releases on average), means that 800 goes quickly goes on new os releases alone, if we have patches that upset hackintosh, add on some more hours.

Although you can hear arguments to both sides, my experience of apple support has been excellent, so that has a value in and of itself.

The (_reaslonably_ certain) security of knowing that your device will be upgradable to the next few OS releases, thus adding to it\s longevity is nice as well, and by nice I mean has some value.

And there are ascetics and design. Yes, they're not worth 800, but by my calculations with all else taken in, you're not paying 800 for them.

Alert

Apple has always allowed you to share your photos since day one. Send them as email. Sure, bluetooth support is less capable (though I believe the new IOS version may rectify some of those issues), but for a lot of people, bluetooth is an edge case, email is something I believe people are more familiar with, so they did an 80/20 type decision and picked the more realistic and future proof transfer mechanism. There will _always_ be differences in phone capabilities, and if the new iPhone 5 supports NFC, will you argue against phones (and there will be a lot of droids) that you can't bump to send your pictures to?

Different phones do different things and support different standards. Research a phone first, and if it doesn't fit your needs, move onto the next one. Even with all that research, you'll find a feature (e.g. bluetooth picture sending) your phone won't do. As you didn't rule the phone out initially for not doing that, we might be right in assuming it's an edge case. You can still be entirely happy with a phone even if it doesn't do all your edge cases.

"Ask an android user what to buy, they spend the time telling you why you shouldn't buy an iPhone."

Maybe you just know a lot of assholes. I use an Android phone, but when my mum asked what phone to get I recommended an android, but also said an iPhone might be better as more people were familiar with it, and therefore help her.

The way I explain it is that an iPhone is more polished, and the vast majority of people are happy with that. Because I'm a techie I want to be able to use my phone the way I want, and write apps for it with the computer I want, and without an annual fee.

Why didn't they buy an android in the first place?

Simple - the shopkeepers get a massive financial incentive to push the Apple things. The shop workers are quite poorly paid, so any subsidy they receive will persuade them to push the Apple iTrash.

It's really telling that there's a bigger percentage mark-up on Apple products than there is on most illicit drugs! The ex-factory price of an iPhone 4S is ~$25.... That's a fabulous profit for Apple!

Anonymous Coward

Whilst the majority of iphone users have owned/do own a modern Android phone?

Snore.

Anonymous Coward

"Viewing an iPhone as a 'status symbol' is utterly pathetic. Seriously."

Seeing down votes for this comment. I wonder what that says about the voters?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: @JEDIDIAH

Says the AC thrown generic insults... grow up yourself!

Silver badge
FAIL

Re:@Marty

Here we go again...

"... for the less technical savvy person they are great... very little to get confused with. It does what it does very well in a simple way..."

Utter tosh. I (and all of my IT department at work) have an iPhone. So does my Nephew, who's a Senior Analyst/Developer IT Infrastructure for a national organisation.

Do I assume that your car has a starting handle, carburettor tickler, manual advance/retard, manual choke, crash gearbox and acetylene headlamps - as those are the sign of the "technically savvy"?

Or is it the usual intellectual snobbery showing?

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: @Dougal 01:11 Customer satisfaction......

"...and have refused to have one for work in favour of a humble Nokia.."

Intellectual snobbery at work here?

Along the lines of "I'm too damned cool and too smart to have what you perceive as consumer-oriented

Thy name is Ozymandias...

Silver badge

Bentley may beat Ford, but Apple don't beat Samsung.

And if the issue isn't about sales, why does the article talk about that issue at all? If you want to claim "The Iphone isn't as successful as other platforms, but the few who buy it like it more", then sure, that's it up. But I'm part of the majority of people who love and use other platforms.

The article puts forward the (poor) logic of "Iphones sell a lot, because people like them" - well sorry, people like Android, Samsung and Nokia even more so, which all sell more than Iphones.

Also next time an Apple fan points out that Apple sell more 10" tablets, I'll point out that therefore they're like Ford. People might buy more Ipads, but that doesn't mean they are satisfied by them - by your own logic.

Silver badge

Most of the time, it's Apple users who make it an issue - either bragging about them having an Apple logo (even though the rest of us don't care, and prefer using more popular platforms), or even criticise other people for using something different. I once had strangers butt into our private conversation in a pub and go "Oh, we don't care about your open source OS, we've got Iphones". Sorry mate, we don't give a shit.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.