back to article Google to rent Chromebooks for $30 per month

Google must have a lot of unsold Chrome OS devices lying around, because it has launched an unusual new scheme to get them into customers' hands. Beginning on Wednesday, customers can rent the boot-to-browser machines on a month-to-month basis for as long as three years or as little as a single month. According to a blog post by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

/yawn.....

A computer that you can only surf the web on....... They are called Mobile phones & most of us have them now.

Anonymous Coward

Re: /yawn.....

You can do a lot more on mobile phones these days.

Silver badge
Meh

£30 a month?

That's £360 a year of over £1000 over three years so where is the benefit in that?

A business could buy a Dell Inspiron for less than half that, add a three year on site warranty for £120 and stiill save over £600.

Not only that but you can use the Dell anywhere and don't need a continual web connection.

Hire one? NUTS.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Re: £30 a month?

$30 was it?

But either way I'd agree that most can buy a whole laptop (or netbook) with service and insurance for that too. Granted, £350/$350 may not get you much of a laptop, but it will be comparable to Googles offer.

The crux of the matter is, both a Windows box and a Google Box have similar software/hardware costs. It's only down to who want's to subsidize it the most or what features it offers. Frankly, I expect MS to give the better options for now.

I just don't like dumb terminals. :P

Silver badge
Stop

"That's £360 a year of over £1000 over three years so where is the benefit in that?"

If you only want it for 1-2 months, of course.

That's kind of the target market.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

£350 will get you a very decent laptop. In fact I had an email just this morning about dell vostro 3550 i3/4g/320gb for £319+VAT. If you can compromise on the i3 then <£300+VAT is possible.

In fact you can buy a gaming laptop for <£400 if you look for an Asus 5560G (RUREC.001 so that you get the crossfire laptop with dedicated HD 7670).

> That's £360 a year of over £1000 over three years so where is the benefit in that?

Two benefits:

1. You're not committed to a three year deal. You want it for a month, you use it for a month, you pay for a month, you give it back.

2. You don't need to invest $900 up-front, which is handy if you don't have much cash, especially if you're, say, a small business taking on a few temporary employees during a busy season.

Thumb Down

Thanks but no thanks

I'll stick to paying once for a machine that I can do anything with, rather than a limited machine that I've got to end up paying alot more than paying once would cost me.

$30 x 12 x 3 years = $1080 (likely with a ton in tax added on top of that)

Whereas I can get a brand new and "do anything with" machine for a single cost of around $478 (depending on spec), and that machine isn't restricted as far as the OS/browser I want on it either (as the "do anything with" implies).

Re: Thanks but no thanks

Read. More. Carefully.

It is 12*30 for the first year, then 12*25 for the second, then 12*20 for the third, for a grand total of $900. Of course, that's still $400 too much...

If (and I suspect it is a huge if) they do what you need and replace a PC then that's probably a good price - I'd expect it to beat TCO of a PC quite easily.

Silver badge
Stop

1 month x $30 = $30.

You're claiming it's financially un-viable based on the wrong target market. It a similar fashion, it's not very good value to buy a new car if you only need it for a month. Instead, you rent one.

Chromebrick

For about few cents, you can buy a brick and just pretend the net connection is down.

Headmaster

Confusing title.

Google will be renting out Chromebooks, not renting Chromebooks. Or perhaps even leasing them.

"Renting" without the "out" suggests that Google is paying $30 a month to hire them.

B+ for effort.

FAIL

Free is too much

Even if they were lending them for free I still have absolutely no need or want for one, it does nothing that either my phone or my laptop provide

FAIL

Pay for?

To have adverts pumped at me? Too mucking futch. I thought Goog's model was the opposite.

Nope, still don't want one

So they're still trying to flog a terrible idea then.

Happy

Re: Nope, still don't want one

No no, they're now trying to lease a terrible idea.

Silver badge
Meh

Chromebooks are ideal...

...for tech bloggers, basically. Everyone else alas can't *quite* do everything in a browser, even if the browser does have a day-long battery life (or whatever these machines have).

Unless you're a blogging startup I can't see many companies jumping on this offer.

Not a chance

I Wouldn't even give them a fiver a month for one.

FAIL

As much as I like the idea of a dedicated online netbook that's been really simply designed by Google, and as nice as those new Samsung Chromebooks look, they're still riduculously overpriced.

With Google selling the Nexus 7 for £159, why should a Chromebook cost any more than £200?

If these were priced at £150 I reckon they'd do well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums