back to article 'Nutjob' serves half-baked Raspberry PI scam

Some people will go to any lengths to get a Raspberry PI, except pay the $35 price tag. The Raspberry Pi Foundation has published an IM conversation it claims took place between 'Foundation founder Eben Upton and a “nutjob” trying to blag a PI for free. The chancer employed a carrot-and-stick technique, dangling the prospect …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. g e
    FAIL

Hahahah. Dick.

Cos everyone can tell that someone with an IM name like 'Steve' is Jewish. What a cocksmoker.

If he'd maybe been called Isaac_Goldstein1845 then yeah...

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: Hahahah. Dick.

However, when a nutjob corporation desperately playing catchup tries to extort $5 per Android handset, everyone bends over immediately.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bob, does your nurse know that you're out of bed again?

Everything isn't about Microsoft.

2. Keep Refrigerated
      Headmaster

Not to take away from your sentiment but 'Steve' is a perfectly acceptable Jewish name, derivative of Stephen.

Like that other Jewish fellow, Mr Spielberg.

1. Arbee

I think his point is that it is not a stereotypical Jewish name. When someone states their name is Steve, you don't instantly assume "must be Jewish".

3. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Mushroom

This "Steve" writes English like he's Chinese. Scams like a (poor) Chinese businessman as well.

2. Tom7

It seems believable - he has about the average literacy of a New York journalist, after all.

3. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Hehe

Amazing. I think the foundation should employ a profesional troll for such cases. Get more entertainment from it and of course record it to youtube with ads to get some extra revenue ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's taking his time...

"Eben Upton refused to have deal with Jews" doesn't appear in any New York paper headlines that Google can find.

1. mittfh
      Thumb Up

Re: He's taking his time...

Simple - it's The Daily Steve, with a circulation of precisely one.

1. Psyx

"Simple - it's The Daily Steve, with a circulation of precisely one."

I'd actually buy that.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

By definition, unless you printed it yourself you wouldn't be able to.

Because buying it would make it "The Daily Steve, with a circulation of precisely two".

2. Bob Vistakin
        Linux

Hey careful, apparently "not everything is about Microsoft" so leave their handset sales figures out of it please.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Palestinians are semites, too!

Journalist working for a newspaper based in New York?

Randomly and accuses people of being anti-semitic?

Could that newspaper be the Gray Lady?

In the next episode: "Gimme one for free or I will attack Iran!"

6. Dr. Mouse

The one point he raised that I agree with is that it is often policy for companies to hand out sample components. I have had several when I have been in the prototyping stages of projects. The difference here is that the 'Pi foundation is a not-for-profit organisation with a "No samples" policy, and rightly so. Very few of my projects have got off the ground, and a NFP can't afford to be handing out freebies.

All that said, the guy here was obviously a blagger. He should at least learn English if he want's to try this (especially claiming he is a journo, although his writing skills aren't that far off most journalists... No offense meant :-P ), and resorting to threats and accusations of racism are not the answer.

One thing which was pointed out on the Pi site, however, is that Eben's frustration was clearly showing by the end of the exchange. I don't blame him for becomming frustrated, and I would have been much worse, but his responses left something to be desired.

Personally I would have told him to **** off much sooner and ignored him, or presented him with a torrent of abuse, but that's why I'm not in a public-facing role...

1. Efros
      Pint

I sometimes wish there were more people like you, or indeed myself in public facing roles. Would make customer service much more interesting.

1. David Webb

I'm going to guess you've never dealt with TalkTalk or Orange customer service........

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

? You what ?

Every place I have ever worked has had a policy of no free stuff.

Its simple. If you give stuff free to one person then you must give stuff free to everyone.

ANother trick people try to pull is. I want a sample now and I will buy huge number later, what can yopu do on the price...

My answer. You pay full amount for the sample. The bulk order can have a discount.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        WTF?

Re: ? You what ?

Its simple. If you give stuff free to one person then you must give stuff free to everyone.

Rubbish. It's entirely possible to set criteria for who gets free stuff and who doesn't. That's quite common and presumably that's what the Raspberry Pi Foundation applied when it handed out the free stuff it has.

3. Z80
      Headmaster

"He should at least learn English if he want's..."

KLANG!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"He should at least learn English if he want's to try this"

I really hope that was deliberate...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I once worked for a company that gave out a free sample of it's software, which helped automate the flashing of routers.

A large bank trialled it, upgraded their routers, than said "thanks, but I don't think we'll buy it now!"....

2. Dr. Mouse
        FAIL

' "He should at least learn English if he want's to try this"

I really hope that was deliberate...'

All I can say is "Ooops!"

Mahoosive FAIL on my part there...

5. My Alter Ego

Re: Responses left something to be desired

You could see he was getting fed up, but I didn't see any responses that left something to be desired. Sure, there were some curt replies, but nothing rude.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. mhenriday
      Pint

Have to disagree (in part), Dr. Mouse -

rather than his «frustration clearly showing», I found Eben's responses conciliatory to the threshold of self-effacement. Your last paragraph, however, is spot on and descriptive not merely of what your own reaction would have been, but also that of many others, including the undersigned....

As to the accusations of «anti-Semitism», they are par for the course when dealing with a certain class of people. When arguments fail....

Henri

7. RainForestGuppy

"Is it because I is Black?"

I wonder if Sacha Baron-Cohen's next creation is a Jewish Newspaper reporter who attempts to blag lots of free stuff and then shouts Anti-Semite when his requests are turned down?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Is it because I is Black?"

We all know that whatever Sacha Baron-Cohen's next character is, it will be - hilariously - anti Semitic.

It's funny because Sacha is Jewish - DO YOU GET IT? He's pretending to be something which is against what he is, the subtlety is astounding. IT'S FUNNY.

FUNNY.

Not in the slightest tedious...

1. dogged

Re: "Is it because I is Black?"

An anti-Smite Jewish guy would make a good character but I think SB-C wants you to hate his creations and will therefore probably never make a comedy Jew. Just a comedy everything else, because that's not racist....

8. Purlieu

Cold calls

At our house we get cold calls of course, but we compete with each other to see how fast you can get the caller to tell you to fuck off (or equivalent).by stinging them along and unsubtle remarks.

Also, when I get a thick Indian accent come on and say "hello my name is Margaret" I usually reply with "that's funny mine's Deepak"

1. RainForestGuppy

Re: Cold calls

When I got cold called by a conservatory company, I immediately booked a sales appointment in the evening. When the salesman turned up he was not particulary impressed when I invited him up the stairs to my first floor flat

My reply was if they want to waste my time, I'll happily waste theirs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cold calls

In my house we try to pick on people doing jobs which we find slightly irritating, but they probably have to do just to live. I made someone cry once, it made me feel like a big man.

1. Purlieu

Re: Big man

Presumably there's also someone forcing them to work in call centres, what a situation

2. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Graysonn

To be fair, there's currently a 13 week waiting period after you order. That's january. The guy probably couldn't wait that long.

1. Mike Tree
      Facepalm

If he wants one without waiting, there are dozens on ebay 'buy it now'.

He's just a freeloader.

2. Mister_C

Beat me to the joke, so here's some boring stuff

Only one of the suppliers has a lead time based on "Jam tomorrow, never today" (raspberry of course). The other supplier is quoting three weeks and shipping after three days (personal experience based on an order placed last week which shipped yesterday). No names given coz I don't want downvotes from their employees ;)

Tandy and Maplin are also advertising "in stock" and "late September" respectively, and CPC appear to be selling them OTC like hot pies

Oh, and peeps on eBay are still punting activation codes. For the souvenir hunters, methinks

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More delays

I ordered my Pi in June but have just been told there will be another delay of "up to 4 weeks".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: More delays

the e-mail is sprinkled with bonus apostrophes as well.

2. Cyberspy
        Happy

Re: More delays

Just sold an extra one I had on eBay, in an auction for £68 to someone in Khazakstan. Perhaps it was S B-C himself!

10. Annihilator
    Happy

Hmm

Idiot appears on Internet, film at 11.

11. Sterling101

Do or do not - there is no try...

Now I've got no problem with asking for something - sometimes it works and you bag a freebie.

But when a psychotic retard of a keyboard warrior gets involved it's another matter!

I bet he was the kid at school that ordered the Donor Card full display kiosk for his 'mates' because they were free!

Top marks to Upton though for outing this cocktard for the joke he is :)

12. Marty
    Facepalm

Lol, that guy is like the talky toaster on Red dwarf.....

13. andreas koch
    Happy

Isn't it ironic

that up to this point New York Jewish wannabe blackmailer journalists were made fun of about 4 times, yet no-one spotted that Mr. Clarkes use of [sic]* is somehow wrong. You don't correct the original when you use it, that's the whole point: To show up the loser who couldn't spell. And that it wasn't your own typo.

I think your automatic australian analcucumber autocorrect shot you in your own foot. ;-)

*Compare the correct spelling (albeit wrong use) of the "sic"-ed "lecture" to the original post on the RP site.

Apart from that, I agree.

Steve's a bum.

1. Alister

Re: Isn't it ironic

I would be seriously worried if your auto-correct has "analcucumber" as one of its dictionary words - or possibly you had occasion to "Add to Dictionary" at some previous time.

14. Madeye
    Alien

What Steve doesn't know is "Eben" is in fact the Maas Neotek robot formerly known as Julia and he's just failed a Turing test

15. proto-robbie
    Coat

Should have...

...just given him the Raspberry.

1. Stewart Cunningham
      Facepalm

Re: Should have...

Did the downvoters miss the "stick your tongue out and blow" meaning? Or is the sensohumometer set to Heckle?

2. jjk
      Devil

.. just *told* him he'd send him one. No need to actually do so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Got his *real* name and mailing address and posted the whole thing.

Anonymous cuz I dig the masque.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like