Feeds

back to article Google/Oracle judge loses interest in paid bloggers

In a surprise move, the judge overseeing the court battle between Google and Oracle over Java patents used in Android has pulled his order that the parties provide a list of bloggers or journalists paid to promote their respective wares. Last April, Florian Mueller, author of the FOSS Patents blog, outed himself as a paid …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Devil

Nice doing, Judge

[Also said Oracle] didn't even defend its intellectual property until it became clear some of its patents were being struck out in other legal actions.

That is called pouring cyclohexane onto burning gasoline.

High-powered IP lawyers are already downing large cups of black coffee while deciding who to sue right now, immediately, I'm sure.

Anonymous Coward

That doesn't read right

Maybe "But Google's own list was arguably worse." should be "But Oracle's own list was arguably worse."?

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: That doesn't read right

It works both ways... Too many BigWigs on those lists...

Anonymous Coward

Ha ha

Oracle has to pay Google $1,130,350 in costs

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120904211545683

Anonymous Coward

Re: Ha ha

I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned in the article - as really that's more important than the paid shills stuff... still it did allow El-Reg to name drop the yoghurty one again...

Holmes

Re: Ha ha

Am I right in assuming that many of Google's "paid shills" were implicated by 3rd party association* as was Mike Masnik for example? http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120824/12563220150/apparently-im-google-shill-i-didnt-even-know-it.shtml

In that case, considering how often Florian Mueller is quoted by El Reg, shouldn't "The Register" be on Oracle's list?

*Not that Google should be let off the hook, mind. I'm of the firm belief that Google included so many tertiary sources was to muddy the water and draw attention off one or two significant ones.

Silver badge

Astroturfers And Sockpuppets for Google. Here's a Professional.

I'll give you the punchline first:

"Ms. [Jill] Hazelbecker is currently the Director of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs at Google. And her public bio at Linked In doesn’t mention anything about Mr. Kean’s campaign in New Jersey."

And here is the story of how she helped Republican Tom Kean run for office:

" Hazelbaker served as the campaign spokeswoman for the 2006 New Jersey Senate campaign of Republican Thomas Kean Jr., who was easily defeated by Democrat Robert Menendez.

New Jersey grad student Juan Melli, founder of the blog Blue Jersey, noticed that between July and September one IP address had registered four different accounts, each one claiming to be a Democrat but posting multiple anti-Menendez comments using pseudonyms like usedtobeblue and cleanupnj. This IP address had also been used to send emails signed by Hazelbaker to other correspondents, according to the New York Times.

[T]he liberal Democratic hosts of BlueJersey.com, the Web log where such comments were posted, smelled something fishy about the postings, and said they traced them to a computer inside the campaign headquarters of Mr. Menendez’s Republican opponent, Thomas H. Kean Jr.

The Kean campaign’s technical adviser said that the Internet protocol, or I.P., address that linked the posts to the Kean headquarters was an old one, “from over a month ago.” But an e-mail message Ms. Hazelbaker sent to a reporter on Wednesday shares the same I.P. address."

"And of course what makes this story the more interesting is that Ms. Hazelbecker is currently the Director of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs at Google. And her public bio at Linked In doesn’t mention anything about Mr. Kean’s campaign in New Jersey."

Geddit?

http://musictechpolicy.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/where-are-the-rest-of-the-shills/

Bronze badge

Geddit?

Actually no, I don't, but then, I have never been impressed with the 'guilt-by-association' argument.

It's almost as bad as the 'everyone who disagrees with my political views is both evil and moronic'

Re: Astroturfers And Sockpuppets for Google. Here's a Professional.

Tracing to an IP != tracing to a particular computer, particularly if the IP is shared (or even dynamic).

Thumb Up

One thing about the US judicial system -

it never fails to amaze ! On the one hand, we get the perfectly predictable hometown judge like Lucy Haeran Koh or her patent-troll friendly colleagues at the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, but on the other, we sometimes (albeit rarely) get a judge who knows what he's talking about, like William Haskell Alsup. In any event, the contradictions make the serials worth following - will Betty Boop be run over by the approaching train, or will the hero manage to untie her from the rails in time to receive his just reward (which alas, was never shown in the cartoons) ?...

Henri

Bronze badge
WTF?

Re: One thing about the US judicial system -

Judge Koh is not particularly patent friendly.

However, I get the impression she's been runover by a legal bus by this case. She seemed at various points to want both Samsung and Apple to settle. Also she didn't order an injunction against some Samsung products till her opinion was overruled by a higher court.

This topic is closed for new posts.