Feeds

back to article Apple confirms 'surprise' September 12 event

Confirming what pomaceous-minded cognoscenti have been claiming for months, Apple has sent out press invites to a special event in San Francisco on September 12, which looks in all likelihood to be the announcement for the long-anticipated iPhone 5. The announcement begins with the words "It's almost here," followed by a large …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

iPad mini iPhone 5 yeeeeeeees.

Anonymous Coward

iPad mini iPhone 5 noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Mac OS-X AntiVirus V1.0?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/typepad/alleyinsider/silicon_alley_insider/~3/lAqDYm8MT3A/report-on-cybercrime-finds-increase-attacks-on-apples-2012-9

Silver badge
Meh

I hope

The iPhone 5 doesn't look like the Samsung S3

Anonymous Coward

ipod mini phone 5

ipad mini phone 5 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anonymous Coward

When released it will give the fandroids a reason for living again...... Without controversy they shrivel and wither.

It will also be a great time to bury bad news, that most Android phones will not get the JB updates.

A great day September 12 2012.

Silver badge

iPad mini == iPhone 5

Silver badge
FAIL

If you don't want one - don't buy one. Then you'll be free to get a life.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I hope

"I hope

The iPhone 5 doesn't look like the Samsung S3"

Have you not seen the leaked pics? looks as bland as its intended user base.

idiotPhone is so over, they can't even get the numbering right.

Anonymous Coward

@Ted Treen

most of us would like to just buy what we like, and leave what we don't...

the problem is Apple constantly suing the competition.... It makes us hate Apple...

Now I know its really the Patent offices fault for granting stupid patents, but Apple shouldn't be using patents to stifle competition.

Silver badge

Re: I hope

If the 4" rumours are true, it'll look like a 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S. The specs may even be as good as lasts year's Samsung Galaxy S2.

Silver badge

Re: ipod mini phone 5

Indeed - it's a bit depressing when a company has to try to stoke up attention with "announcement of an announcement". We've heard the media harping on about Iphone 5 for over a year, and the Ipad Mini is just speculation. (Even if they are released, they already fit the classic definition of vaporware.) Perhaps the media should focus on actual product releases, with more attention to the leading platforms, rather than Apple Apple Apple all the time (at least the Register does cover the other mobile news, unlike most the mainstream media).

Unhappy

If you don't want one - don't buy one. Then you'll be free to get a life.

Killjoy.

Anonymous Coward

Re: ipod mini phone 5

Well, it would be pretty fucking pointless to schedule a public announcement and fail to invite anyone, wouldn't it?

Silver badge
Happy

Persona non grata?

I can only assume there's no point asking whether the press invites extended as far as Vulture Towers?

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Persona non grata?

Based on the form of recent months, that would be akin to inviting the Beano editor to Prime Minister's Question Time...

Awaits hordes of inevitable downvotes

Silver badge
Trollface

9/11, just one day later?

Clearly, another War on Stuff is in the offing.

What or Who could "Stuff" be.... hmmm....

Joke

I'm looking forward to Samsungs on the 13th...

Anonymous Coward

No, Samsung will sue on the 13th, the iphone 5 will be LTE, Samsung will swoop in to try to ban it before its released.

But if I was Samsung, I would have an amazing product sitting up my sleeve ready to launch the day AFTER the iPhone 5 is announced

Anonymous Coward

Samsung already have a number of amazing products out there and available to buy, any of which blow Apple's tired old efforts out of the water. That's why Apple have to resort to litigation to have their "competition" stifled. Haven't you been paying attention?

Bronze badge

Has it occured

... to anyone, exactly how Samsung knows so much about the unannounced and unreleased product that it already has its suit at the briefs ready to file?

I suspect this is the Samsung's round 2 of "try and fuck apple by fucking with FRAND". If so, I suspect it will fail like round 1.

Anonymous Coward

Apple is better at keeping secrets than Washington.

Silver badge

Sorry?

You don't honestly think the rumour mill is fuelling itself do you?

Bring on September 13th... A day with zero iPhone rumours... From the 14th it'll be downhill all the way to the next (cr)Apple event.

Devil

no iPhone rumours?

September 13th is when they start releasing iPhone 6 rumours....

Silver badge

Re: no iPhone rumours?

If they feel the need to do that within 24 hours of announcing the iPhone5 then it's tantamount to admitting the iPhone5 is a stop-gap you shouldn't bother buying...

They couldn't do that two years running could they?

Or maybe they'll announce Siri actually working outside the US of A?

Mushroom

It's nearly here ...

Obviously they're talking about the granting of their patent on the use of numbers.

Anonymous Coward

iMacs...

There have been recent reports of shortages of 27" iMacs, which seem long overdue for a refresh. Hopefully this event will introduce that refresh since I definitely want to buy one. Maybe it will be a minor refresh and they can just mention it in passing before moving on to the new iPhone, or maybe it will be minor enough that they can just change the specs on the web site. Either way I hope the wait will be over soon.

This post has been deleted by its author

Cue another Jawdroppingly underwhelming device that looks exactly the same as every other iPhone since the first one. But a wee bit bigger. The fanbois will be rabid trying to justify why it's a quantum leap forward.

Silver badge

Can you provide any examples?

Usually what happens is Apple alleges to have revolutionised something by including it on the phone despite it hardly being a new idea. FaceTime is a good example. Basically nobody said 'that's amazing, Apple has invented video chat!' but quite a few people said 'it'll be interesting to try', which basically means they're reserving judgment to anyone not addled with confirmation bias.

Presumably you'll be happier with the usual 'OMG! All Apple have done is made the processor faster and improved the display! This is a rip off of the IBM XT!' crowd?

Here's a spoiler: there are no new ideas in phones. The iPhone 5 isn't going to contain any new ideas. All the relevant numbers will be a little higher and that's it. The same goes for every other phone that'll be released this year or for the foreseeable future.

Anonymous Coward

Unless they add an anal vibrator!

Uh ...

"Unless they add an anal vibrator!"

AT&T already invented that with their texting rates.

Anonymous Coward

>All Apple have done is made the processor faster and improved the display!

Technically its Samsung that has made the processor faster and Sharp who have improved the display.....

Bronze badge
FAIL

@ThomH

There are many ways to implement new technology in a smartphone that do not include the communications chip or the cpu. Expect quite a bit of new tech in the next iPhone not cpu/comms related. I expect new tech in the Galaxy IV too.

Samsung are not the chip designer either, they are do fabrication and the phone comms chip will be from Qualcom or similar.

And a history lesson for you: Listen up. A famous car manufacturer once released a new model and claimed in their marketing "the end of development" of automobiles, because everything had now been invented. That was 90+ years ago.

Idiot statements like "no new ideas in phones" reflect the feeble mind of the fucking moron who made it.

Anonymous Coward

"Unless they add an anal vibrator!" for its intended user base.

Anonymous Coward

"Technically its Samsung that has made the processor faster and Sharp who have improved the display....."

Exactley! Apple have done NOTHING.

Silver badge

Seen floating round the internet...

My gold plated butt-plug business is being sued by Apple.

Apparently they have a patent for overpriced crap for arseholes.

Silver badge

Well that's it - Apple claims to revolutionise something, and even though it's just as you say in reality, the media and Apple fans also claim it to be revolutionary.

It's true that fans didn't decide to pick on video calling, but they do so with many other examples (3G, apps, Internet, the whole idea of smartphones). And in general, given the huge media hype over Iphone 4, if "Facetime" was the flagship feature advertised by Apple, then that's rather telling.

You're right, each new release is no different to any other phone released. We just wish the media would treat it that way too.

Anonymous Coward

"Basically nobody said 'that's amazing, Apple has invented video chat!' "

You're having a laugh, right?

All the iPhonists I know refused to believe that 3G video calling existed before the arrival of Facetime.

"Why has your ancient Sony Ericsson non-smart phone got a front facing camera.....?"

Anonymous Coward

@Obviously!

Just like Dell, and HP and ...

Silver badge

@Phillip Lewis

That's some good ad hominem. Imagine I put some swear words here if it helps bring things down to your level of conversation.

I said there are no new ideas in phones and nothing foreseeable coming. I'm also willing to say that there are no people on the street outside my window and none foreseeably coming. Things can plateau.

Facepalm

Rabies

"...The fanbois will be rabid trying to justify why it's a quantum leap forward..."

Really? Most of the rabid behaviour I see on El Reg seems to be from Android users, dutifully responding like Pavlov's dogs, every time the Apple bell is rung.

Anonymous Coward

As far as I'm concerned,

you can take your iPhone 5 Nano, and stick it in your ear!

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: As far as I'm concerned,

iBabelfish?

iLitigate

Facepalm

Ooh!

Is it... another patent litigation case?

Fix Mountain Loin you fruity f***ers.

Devil

Re: Ooh!

I wasn't aware mountains had loins. 'Tis all good, though, your kink is OK...

Bronze badge

Hmmm...

More consumer tech that I don't need - Pass.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Hmmm...

Far too clever to look at consumer tech are we?

Jeez, I wish I could be as cool...

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: Hmmm...

@ Ted Treen - clever & cool have nothing to do with it. I have what I need to do what I want at the price I want to pay - simple as that.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.