Feeds

back to article Optus turns on 4G, but has no phones until Sept 20

Optus has decided its 4G network is ready for action, flicking the switch to turn it on in Sydney, Perth and Newcastle as of today. Melbourne's turn comes on September 15th. But the telco appears not to have any 4G handsets to press into punters hands, with the press release and pricing plans (PDF) mentioning only the Samsung …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Call prices are monopoly money

If you stay within the cap, the call price is not that useful for comparison. A better number for comparison is the number of minutes. Flagfall charges means that this varies based on the length of call and also the number of SMS sent.

Amaysim (Optus reseller) price calls at 12c/minute!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Call prices are monopoly money

Yes - some smart previous poster cynically described the bullshit call plans as "A million dollars of call credits per month for only $59.99" (and in the fine print) at a $500 a minute call rate.

Alert

NBN challenge?

NBNCo are predicting that 50% will connect at 12/1Mbps on fibre. When for $5 extra a month 25/5Mbps plans are available, one has to assume that these people want the cheapest connection.

Optus are offering 10GB for $34.95 at probably around 30/10Mbps. Cheaper than NBN plans and faster than first 3 speed tiers.

I think NBNCo are facing a serious challenge to achieve their predicted 70% market share.

Anonymous Coward

Re: NBN challenge?

Sure it's a challenge. Now if I can just get reliable 3G coverage from Optus at home... then I'll be all set for when 4G rolls out! Great Stuff. What you mean 4G coverage will be as dodgy from the likes of Optus and Vodafone as there 3G coverage? Maybe we should all share the Telstra 4G connection when that comes around... that'll only cost me my left leg and my soul! You mean we'll be lucky to be able to make a call from home from such isolated places as Blacktown?

I'm glad the NBN roll out passes through our street later this year... I'll be waiting a LOT longer for a reliable 3G connection let alone a 4G one. There are parts of surrounding suburbs that can't even get ADSL2+ yet because Telstra can't be bothered and neither do any of the other ISP's... Not that it would be overly fast... my 2+ connection MIGHT hit 6000kbs connection speed on a good sunny day, but rain will kill that once water hits the copper.

Stop

I suggest you read the section "Why are existing mobile networks inadequate for future broadband?" in http://www.nbnco.com.au/faq.html . Mobile/Wireless complements fibre, but can't reliably replace it for all current and future requirements at homes and businesses.

Bronze badge

I doubt it. As soon as you even start to think about watching video 10GB starts to look pitifully small. For those of us who have switched to watching TV online wireless is simply not an option. I suspect the NBN figures can be explained by the fact that, at the moment, 12Mb/s is good enough for the vast majority of applications. When genuine high definition streaming video becomes available that will change.

This topic is closed for new posts.