back to article Yikes. Supervolcano found under Hong Kong

Hong Kong geologists have revealed for the first time the full extent of an ancient supervolcano with a diameter of 18km sitting beneath the former British colony. The giant ash monster is thought to be of the same collapse caldera type as the infamous Krakatau volcano which killed tens of thousands and literally rocked the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shaun Hunter
    Go

Geo-thermal power source

Hopefully it can and will be developed, an island powered by a super volcano would be not only awesome but a sign that mankind is still progressing. I feel we've gotten cheap and don't build anything grand any more.

2. jake Silver badge

Here in California ...

... we have a few of these. Calistoga & Long Valley come to mind.

They are still quite active. I sleep quite soundly at night, if you care :-)

Geological time isn't compatible with human paranoia.

3. Mips
    Childcatcher

A bit nearer home

There is also a caldera under the bay of Naples.

At 13km it is not quite as big but relativly speaking it is in our backyard.

Time for fireproof pants maybe?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: A bit nearer home

If you're a Brit, I kinda suspect Iceland might prove more problematical than Naples ...

4. Glenn Charles
    Childcatcher

"hexagonal shaped" remnants

That's what those tiny islands are near Hong Kong?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

really? how similar are these to...

i have to wonder how similar this discovery/analysis of these formations is to the Giant's Causeway in Ireland... those are made of basalt and are, understandably, the result of volcanic activities, too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant%27s_Causeway

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like