Feeds

back to article Neil Armstrong dies aged 82

Neil Armstrong, who famously took a giant leap for mankind when he descended the ladder of Apollo 11's Eagle lander and set boot on the moon, has died. He was 82. Armstrong was a humble man. He was bemused by the fame that came with his achievement, proclaimed himself no more than a "nerdy engineer" and shunned the spotlight. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Unhappy

RIP Neil. A real hero.

I think his ashes should be sent on the next mars mission. MAVEN. Or sent to the moon.

And it's a pity that he won't get a chance to appear on the Big Bang Theory.

Anonymous Coward

Sitting on my dads knee

In the early hours of the morning I watched this man take the first steps by man, onto the moon.

I feel terribly sad.

Anonymous Coward

If

If we could do what he did in the 1960's with a computer less powerful than one of today's GCSE calculators why have we not done more?

He was a spokesman for his generation.

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: If

Evidently because it's about physical power, not computational power.

The NERVA is still in the hangar.

Anonymous Coward

He would

He would hate all this attention, he would hate all this fawning over his death, especially all the flowery faux emotional prose written by people who want to get on the 'I will miss you' band wagon.

You'd know that if you'd met the man.

Anonymous Coward

Re: He would

"He would hate all this attention, he would hate all this fawning over his death, especially all the flowery faux emotional prose written by people who want to get on the 'I will miss you' band wagon."

I have to agree anyone who says they'll miss him and has never even met him, grr, I can imagine my Facebook wall tomorrow is going to be full of that crap.

That said, I'm a firm believer in the greatness of our species, that we're capable of great things and Neil Armstrong is partially responsible for that belief. He proved it (along with everyone else involved.) He is one of 12 people in the history of an entire species to have walked on the Moon. To get there, he sat in a small metal box on top of what was essentially a giant bomb. That took some serious balls, many people won't even ride a roller coaster.

Whether he thought he deserved praise or not, it cannot be denied that he has touched millions and inspired as many more; his death will be felt worldwide.

Unhappy

If we could do what he did in the 1960's with a computer less powerful than one of today's GCSE calculators why have we not done more?

Sadly, the political will to do more does not exist, the main motivation was not scientific goals, but a political goal to beat the Russians. America went to the moon by sending 0.5% of its national budget at a time when it was spending 7% of it's national making Vietnam looking like the moon. Imagine what mankind could have been achieved if the spending was the other way around.

There now only 8 men left alive of the 12 who have walked on the moon, hopefully mankind will get back to the moon or Mars before that experience passes from living memory.

Like a lot of people here Neil was one of my heroes, as a 10 year old I was allowed to stay up to 3AM to watch him take those famous steps, I remember that we all went outside and looked up at the moon in awe of the fact that there were two men standing on the moon at that very moment. I am sad to hear that he has passed away

It may have been a small step for man, but what big shoes for anyone to fill.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Docked with the Agena in orbit around the Earth.

I've watched the Earth glitter in the dark from the Sea of Tranquillity.

All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain.

Time to die.

RIP Neil.

Bronze badge

He is worth remembering.

Sometimes the conventional language is so inadequate.

He took his one small step. And now he has taken his own giant leap.

Agreed- regardless of whether you met him or not, that doesn't diminish the fact that he was truly inspirational.

Silver badge

I wonder how many kids went on to Science, or Engineering because of what they witnessed that day on fuzzy black and white TV.

Alien

He would also probably be quick to point out he was at the top of a pyramid of thousands of people who were responsible for getting him to the moon. His humility always endeared him to me.

That said, you have to have mighty big balls to do what he did, knowing you may end up stuck there. He may have been a nerd, but what a nerd he was.

RIP

Silver badge
Pint

Simply amazing, he was a guy who just did it. Briefly, he was co-pilot of a B-29 while dropping a D558 Skyrocket, flew a Bell X1B and drove the X-15 to 4,500 mph at 200K+ feet it only seems natural he was the first to plant his boots on the moon. To say he was just doing his job doesn't cut it. It amazes me every time I hear his voice, "it's almost like a powder" as if he is describing the snow at the top of the ski lift on any other Monday morning. There is no cucumber with more cool. He was on the moon and going to work. A master of understatement, he took "one" small step without consideration of his many other small steps that were equally giant leaps for mankind. Cheers.

Silver badge

I have never had the privilege to meet the man, but aged seven I did successfully nag my parents to let me see the fuzzy image of Neil Armstrong stepping off that ladder. It was one of the things that set me off in a career of science (first astronomy, now computer science). I have seen many interviews with the man, and always appreciated his modesty. I will not miss Neil Armstrong at a personal level, because we never met. The personal loss is that of his family and friends. However, at this point it is fitting to express what a role model he was, both professionally, and as a human being. As his family stated to the press:

"The next time you look up and see the Moon smiling down at you,give it a wink and think of Neil".

That is the best monument to a modest, but great man.

Gold badge
Unhappy

"America went to the moon by sending 0.5% of its national budget at a time when it was spending 7% of it's national making Vietnam looking like the moon. "

Incorrect. In the 1960's NASA took 5.5% of the US GDP to get to the Moon in less than 8 years.

*today* NASA receives <0.5% of the US GDP. Things were different back then.

The roughly 9 fold difference in funding *might* explain NASA's rather slow progress through the Constellation programme.

It would be a nice gesture if the first lander from *any* nation to return to the moon was called "Armstrong" in recognition of his achievement but I doubt it will happen.

Gold badge
Happy

Humble or not, one day he's getting the biggest bloody statute that anyone's ever had erected in their memory and it will remind us all of his contribution forever (or as near as makes no odds).

On the moon, next to the 11 landing site of course.

It says a lot that even in his later years, he was still trying to shake Congress out of its apathy towards space exploration.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

A Real Hero

> RIP Neil. A real hero.

Best way to sum it up.

Thanks, Neil. Thanks for inspiring me, thanks for inspiring a generation.

Headmaster

Seems both of us are wrong according to this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA,

and this:-

Table 15.1—TOTAL GOVERNMENT RECEIPTS IN ABSOLUTE AMOUNTS AND AS PERCENTAGES OF GDP: 1948–2007

NASA's budget peeked in1966 @4.4%, in 1969 when Aldrin walked on the moon it had reduced to 2.31% of budget while in the 1960's the military budget floated between 8% and 10% of GDP

LDS
Silver badge

He deserves a burial on the Moon. NASA, think it.

NASA should send is coffin to the Moon, nearby the Apollo 11 landing site.

Anonymous Coward

Re: He deserves a burial on the Moon. NASA, think it.

Do you really think he would want that? He was an unassuming man, he never saw it as anything else other than doing his job.

Bronze badge
Pint

'Ashes scattered in an undisclosed location' would be more in his style; but I hope not. I hope his remains are placed somewhere where I can eventually (years later, when my visit won't bother the family) drop by to pay my respects.

Bronze badge

I suspect he'd want his remains somewhere that his nearest and dearest could visit if they wanted.

Aldrin probably wants to be buried on the moon, in about 25 years from now.

Unhappy

End of an era?

The pioneers of space travel are dying one-by-one and what do we have to show for it... Tawdry celebrity shws and patent battles where both sides are equally culpable.

We have squandered the legacy of great men. Instead of standing on the shoulders of giants we are hunting between the legs of midgets for spare change.

Meh

Re: End of an era?

Don't know whether I should upvote you for agreeing with you or downvote you for being so disgusted with the world you describe.

Gold badge
Unhappy

Re: End of an era?

This says it all: http://xkcd.com/893/

Silver badge

RIP, Neil Armstrong.

First person on the moon. Showed us what we could achieve as a species when we put our minds to it. No greater achievement than to make us realize our potential. Thank you, Neil.

Unhappy

Farewell.

Pint

The heroes of our youth...

Are dying one by one.

I'll drink one in his honor tonight.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: The heroes of our youth...

And one from me,

Thanks Neil,from all mankind, and Mr Gorsky in particular.

Here's to Armstrong Base, Mars,

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: The heroes of our youth...

It's happening because we're in our 50s. Simple math.

Unhappy

Probably mankind's greatest adventure

is slowly passing from living memory and all too soon all we'll have is recordings of the experience of a man stepping on another world.

Rest in peace

Silver badge
Alien

Re: Probably mankind's greatest adventure

Depends on what you mean by "we". If by "we" you mean humankind, I suspect there will Chinese on the moon in the next couple of decades, so "we" will be there again.

"We came in peace for all mankind"

JDX
Gold badge

Well "we" as Brits haven't been there in the first place. (Have we, it's possible I am having a brain-fart?)

Silver badge
Coat

Well "we" as Brits haven't been there in the first place. (Have we, it's possible I am having a brain-fart?)

Cavorite!!

Pint

May Humanity remember his words and deeds for as long as the Moon shines above us.

Time to share a beer with Yuri in heaven Neil.

Pint

A giant is taken from amongst us

Despite the fact that I rarely drink I too will uncap an ale and raise a glass to a man who was part of an amazing era, when mankind progressed and explored.

So sad that as a society we seem to have lost the sense of vision and adventure that sent brave yet modest men out to explore beyond the natural boundaries of our species in what were really such primitive craft. We now inhabit a world of shallow pleasures and petty squabbles and are far poorer for it.

Farewell Neil Armstrong, you leave behind generations that are not worthy of you. Thank you for helping make my childhood so exciting and awe inspiring - along with your NASA colleagues.

Go

Here's hoping

they go to Mars in my lifetime (so there's not long left). Imagine that moment when they walk on Mars & the effect it'll have on a generation. I'll never forget the Moon landing that's for sure.

Cover-Up

Well done Mr Armstrong on going along with the 'Moon Landing' hoax right until your death. Congratulations on a fantastic job.

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: Cover-Up

so how long have you suffered from these delusional thoughts ?

Megaphone

Pissing on the achievements of great men.

Is that how you get your jollies?

Does it help you feel less the pathetic failure you obviously are?

I have news for you, it isn't working.

Now fuck off back to your hoaxer crazy pit where you belong.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Don't feed the troll.

Silver badge
Mushroom

They sent that great big rocket up, where the hell do you think they went if not the moon?

Re: Cover-Up @Graham Dawson

http://xkcd.com/1074/

You sir...

..are a moron of the highest degree. You are a simple nobody who has done nothing noteworthy to be remembered for. Like most of us, you will die and be forgotten by all but the few who may happen to care about you. Whether you in your complete stupidity believe he didn't go to the moon will make no difference to history for THAT is what he will be remembered for long after your headstone has crumbled back to dust.

You are what is known as a sad pathetic little conspiracy nut... Enjoy your epitaph to your life.

Bronze badge

Re: You sir...

Re; CmdrX3

Perhaps Kparsons84 epitaph should be simply "a man of whom even Winston Churchill said 'Who?'".

For Mr Armstrong, no comment is worthy. A few moments quiet reflection on the passing of another of my childhood heroes and a simple curiosity of why there seem to be no more of them will do for me.

<silence, respectful silence>

@kparsons84 You're entitled to your view, and I'm all for freedom of speech, but a bit of a common sense and decency should have told you that this was not the time to express it. The man has just died FFS.

FAIL

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the morons started crawling out of the woodwork. The fact that it was Apollo 11 must have made it difficult for you, to count that high you'd have to take a shoe off.

Silver badge
Pint

RIP Neil

My grandfather was born before man flew a powered plane, and died after you walked on the moon.

I was around to watch you make that walk; something I will always remember.

Kudos and rest in peace. It's been a fun century.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.