Feeds

back to article LOHAN sets clock ticking for explosive climax

Work is proceeding apace on our Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) "Swift" control board, as recently unveiled to an astounded world. Click here for a bigger version of the LOHAN graphic Anthony Stirk and Neil Barnes are beavering away at assembling the board and tackling the coding, respectively. Earlier this week …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Cool, very cool indeed

Best of luck with the tests

WTF?

Re: Cool, very cool indeed

Oh come on. Who downvoted that? Unsporting. Bad form.

Silver badge
Meh

Re: Cool, very cool indeed

Prolly someone with no initiative of their own so down votes just cos they can.

Holmes

Is it just me

Or do you now have more logos than a F1 car during the glory days of cigarette advertising.

(Written by Reg staff) Bronze badge

Re: Is it just me

Indeed. Beers all round for our burgeoning list of collaborators.

Silver badge

Re: Is it just me

I'll sponsor the after-show drinkies in exchange for a bit of gratuitous promotion for my event and film production company (competitive rates available, coming to a city near you, etc)...;-)

Thumb Up

"we decided to add an accelerometer to the package, to help us detect balloon burst."

+1

This is wise indeed! You do want to use this last chance if things don't go by the plan.

Anonymous Coward

Classified

> 2.Fire rocket motor at [classified].

Jeremy Clarkson?

Silver badge

Re: Classified

Nah, he'll be racing against it in a Veyron. Possibly from the top of a cliff.

Joke

Re: Classified

JC, nah, he'll be chucking up under the Gs

Quick question

Where is this board going to reside? Just a quick fart off the top of my head, but I was thinking that maybe you could use the CPU to keep the rocket motor warm, instead of requiring extra batteries and additional weight on the craft itself.

Re: Quick question

Nice idea, but the board is inside the insulated electronics enclosure on the flying truss, while the Vulture 2 is outside.

Bronze badge

If the first flight is a bust, we'll recover the Vulture 2 along with the fantastical flying truss, and

"give the thing another pop."

unfortunate turn of phrase, there...

Silver badge

Oh, I'm sure that was entire intentional and you're only inflating their egos to bursting point by focussing on it. Hate to burst your bubble and all...

Oh god, the puns. They're ballooning.

Silver badge

It's all the hot air...

Silver badge

That's good, Keep pushing the envelope.

accelerometer and turbulence

Nice idea, but remember it can be pretty turbulent. Wouldn't it be better to trigger if the GPS AND (not OR) accelerometer say the balloon has burst.

You don't want a 2 seconds of apparent free fall from a down draft causing an embarrassing premature incident do you?

Re: accelerometer and turbulence

Yup. We're aware of the possible accelerometer false reading risk, and are dealing with it.

This topic is closed for new posts.