back to article NASA: WE'VE FOUND Four-toed NON-HUMAN FOOTPRINTS

US space agency NASA, one of the few organisations with probe craft operating beyond Earth orbit (for instance upon the surface of Mars and above planets and moons still further-flung) has stunned the world by releasing photos of a huge, four-toed footprint dating from more than 100 million years ago. Footprint at undisclosed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Richard Rae
    Joke

found.....

in Norfolk?

1. Rakkor
      Thumb Down

Re: found.....

Nah - Two digits too few for Norfolk

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably had one of his toes bitten off in an argument.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

if it's Norfolk

don't you mean two of his toes bitten off?

3. Ian Yates
    Black Helicopters

Without a wide angle shot, just looks like erosion to me...

4. Huntsman
    FAIL

HOAX

That was taken in a studio, just look at the shadows on the ground and why is the flag fluttering?

1. Stephen 2

Re: HOAX

According to myth busters, the flag fluttering was simply the pole shaking/moving from where it was pushed into the ground.

Shadows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wym04J_3Ls0

Flag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAC0NSFNEPQ

5. Khaptain Silver badge

Batman

Personally I thought it looked a lot more like the batman Symbol than anything else. So is this proof that Batman really exists ?

Others might also be able to perceive their personal Jesus / Mother Mary YMMV.

1. hplasm
      Unhappy

Re: Batman

Batman used to exist, but has been extinct for millions of years...

2. Stan Smith
      Angel

Re: Batman

This also proves evolution, as we can deduce from this image that The Batman once had 4 horns instead of two...

6. LaeMing
    Unhappy

Sensitive

The 'sensitive' nature of the location is most likely due to the roaring trade in illegally-ripped-out-of-the-ground fossils presently happening around the globe.

7. Blunderbuss
    Alien

I for one welcome our four-toed non-human overlords.

Can Tony and Gordon take off their disguises now?

1. G Watty What?
      FAIL

The register is going down hill, this should have been post number 1. Maybe I am getting old but I thought the comments section was all about welcoming overlords of one sort or another. I kinda thought it was like spreading your bets, much in the same way as being a multi-faith atheist (or does that translate into believing in nothing in a lot of different ways? - you get my point anyway I'll assume).

In summary, you must all try harder next time lest you wish to feel the wrath of a four-toed super-being with an as yet undetermined amount of mounted lasers!

Blunderbuss +1 from me

P.s. I want more "laser" comments too. That is all.

1. Citizen Kaned

laser sharks, no less!

2. Osgard Leach
        Go

So any chance this was created by, for instance, a robot lander that, for instance, delivered "30 pulses of its laser during a 10-second period. Each pulse delivering more than a million watts of power for about five one-billionths of a second. The energy from the laser exciting atoms in the rock into an ionized, glowing plasma?"

Or, for instance, a shark?

2. TheRealRoland
      Happy

Hm...

Slitheen?

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. P. Lee
    Coat

The scale is wrong.

Its was actually taken from a plane above the Arizona dessert. It's *miles* not inches. Since its a dessert, linguine is not an appropriate yardstick.

Does anyone else think they haven't put much effort into this? It looks as though they just had a foot ruler handy and couldn't be bothered to measure it any more accurately.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The scale is wrong.

dessert? what kind? strawberry mousse?

1. TheRealRoland
        Happy

Dunno why you have to pull mice into this discussion?

2. keith_w

don't trifle with him.

1. Comments are attributed to your handle

I came here to make another half-baked dessert pun, but... oh wait. Carry on.

2. Pedigree-Pete

AC therefore "don't trifle with him/her/it Shirley.

10. GettinSadda
    Thumb Down

Bad form Lweis!

From your Article: "In an unusual twist, the space agency refuses to divulge just where in the solar system the massive footprint was found: according to a NASA statement this information is "sensitive", which would naturally lead to speculation that the US government is hushing up information on nonhuman life forms for one of a variety of reasons."

The title of the NASA news report that this article is 'reporting': "Cretaceous Footprints Found at Goddard"

The first text of the NASA news story that this article is 'reporting': "Dinosaur tracker Ray Stanford describes the cretaceous-era nodosaur track he found on the Goddard Space Flight Center campus this year. "

1. GettinSadda
      Facepalm

Re: Bad form Lewis!

Typical - I proof read my comment, but forgot to check the title!

1. Steve Evans

Re: Bad form Lewis!

Don't worry GettinSadda, you still spent more time on your post than Lweis did!

2. Rob Carriere
      Boffin

Re: Bad form Lweis!

@GettinSadda: Yes, quite. But, further down the article:

'Goddard Facilities Manager Alan Binstock said the agency considers the footprint and its location “sensitive but unclassified.”'

So Lewis is quite correct they haven't to stated the precise spot in the solar system where the print is located. The approximate spot is in the headline, but they're not telling where on the facility's grounds exactly.

3. Mephistro
      Happy

Re: Bad form Lweis! (@ Getting Sada)

"refuses to divulge just where in the solar system the massive footprint was found"

What he wrote is totally correct. If something, it was a trifle misleading.

11. Michael Hutchinson
    Thumb Down

BREAKING: Lewis Page in misleading headline non-story shocker!

The post is required, and must contain letters.

1. Tim Brown 1
      Thumb Down

Re: BREAKING: Lewis Page in misleading headline non-story shocker!

Given that it's not April 1st, this non-story is worthy of an apology and correction. If I want to waste my time reading rubbish I'll go visit the Daily Mail site.

1. heyrick Silver badge

The Daily Mail site is just a pile of cruelty-to-kittens stories in between the "skanky asylum family trashes £££M mansion, is to get another", and down the right hand side a hundred people I've never heard of who don't seem to deserve to be beside so-called news (I mean, "kiddies mauled by geriatric pit bull" might be a newsworthy story, some tosh about designer lettuce diet isn't).

1. Steve Knox
          Thumb Up

heyrick is right! The Register is the only place you can get proper rubbish these days!

2. Juan Inamillion
      Angel

I'm Spartacus!

12. Andrew Jones 2
    FAIL

Surely if it was really being secretive and attempting to not panic the general public - not telling the public it has found a footprint and not releasing a photo of said footprint would be a much better way of being secretive?

1. bonkers
      Happy

incorrect use of logic

This is an article all of whose interest and excitement is based on consciously obscuring the critical piece of information that would make it boring. It toys with the readers, leading them up the garden path with the insinuation that it might be on Mars or something. Offering advice to NASA based on this story is, well, about a light-year off-course.

13. adw
    Thumb Down

Apparently nobody bothered reading the NASA post...

"Cretaceous Footprints Found at Goddard"

14. Keith 72

Why doesn't someone hack into NASA's computers to find out?

Oh... yeah, because they'll try and extradite you to the US to spend the rest of time in jail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why doesn't someone hack into NASA's computers to find out?

To be fair, you'd deserve to be extradited for going on some wild hacking mission before clicking the link in the article.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Forget the hacking - just port scan theier IP ranges for PC Anywhere and try the default password. That's what McKinnon did.

3. Velv
      Joke

So not being a rocket scientist, is it possible to hack into any of the probes elsewhere in the Universe?

OK, so one would need access to a dish and some other stuff, but would one still be hacking NASA in the USA? Does Mars count as US territory (I know the US probably thinks it does, but what does the rest of the world think).

And I'm fairly sure there's laws and precedents about leaving your vehicle unattended on land you don't own?

4. /dev/me
      Black Helicopters

Hacking the NASA servers by penetration testing port 80, I've found the secret documents that reveal both the location and the nature of the prints. And a movie-file disclosing the individual who found them.

It turns out, NASA has used an old but neigh unbreakable form of encryption that we used to know as README.TXT-encryption (the most secure method of hiding useful information) but is now modernised by the HREF (or linked article)-encryption standard. Even Real Haxxors have trouble with those.

__

Anyway, the noise of those black helicopters is starting to drive me crazy and I hear footsteps on the roof. I think I'm off to the US of A!

1. apjanes
        Devil

"It turns out, NASA has used an old but neigh unbreakable form of encryption"

You're absolutely right, I couldn't break it no matter how hard I whinnied!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Oh... yeah, because they'll try and extradite you to the US to spend the rest of time in jail."

Yup. Their total lack of extradition application and no charges levied against it means that it *must be true*.

15. Crisp

I'm betting it's a Spinosaurus

Or similar dinosaur.

1. Colin Brett
      Alien

Re: I'm betting it's a Spinosaurus

Or a Tyranid bioform

1. Crisp

Re: I'm betting it's a Spinosaurus

Or that. I guess that's equally likely.

16. jai

dinosaurs on Mars!!

frikken A!!!

obviously, someone's doctored the original press releases to include all Goddard location references to try and cover this up. there's skulduggery afoot here! and it's a giant armoured alien dino sized afoot too!

17. Senior Ugli
    Facepalm

Breaking News

Vanessa Feltz/Susam Boyle/Chris Moyles footprints found on another planet

Delete as appropriate

18. ravenviz Silver badge
    Headmaster

NASA says

at a time when "the bright, barred spiral galaxy NGC 3259 was just forming stars in dark bands of dust and gas"

I say:

at a time when lots of things more relevant were happening e.g. New Zealand separating from Antarctica

19. Colin Brett
    Alien

Shurely ...

"NASA is of course well-known in some circles* for having staged the Moon landings of the 1960s and 70s here on Earth for one of a variety of purposes,

*Mad ones!

Should read

*Crop ones

There. Fixed that for you.

Colin

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like