Feeds

back to article Dell speeds EqualLogic arrays: Stuff spindles, let's add some flash

Spindles are clearly not speedy enough, as Dell is adding flash to two mid-range EqualLogic arrays to speed up VDI, data warehousing and OLTP data access. The EquaLogic arrays provide iSCSI data access for medium and large enterprises and come in four varieties: PS4100 entry-level PS6100 mid-range PS6500 virtualised and scale …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Notice they didn't reveal the MSRP..

I've been investigating Hybrid devices recently, Dell already have a Hybrid EQL available, I believe it had 7 SSD's and 17 600GB 10k SAS drives - MSRP is £55,000. Even with a decent discount, you'd still be looking at £35,000.

Its eye watering...

But there is some light for those on a budget, the Dell MD3220i will get SSD Caching at some point in the next few months. Additionally if your willing to forgo "brand", Huawei have a Hybrid SAN, which you can get with 4 SSD's and 20 600Gb 10k HDD's for less than £23,000 (Its also a Hybrid FC/ISCSI)..

Anonymous Coward

Re: Notice they didn't reveal the MSRP..

Doesn't Huawei have to wait for Cisco to announce the original so they can copy it?

K
Bronze badge

Re: Notice they didn't reveal the MSRP..

lol somebodies a little bitter...

TBH I'm not familiar with Huawei networking products, but everybody copies everybody else.. its called competition!

Bronze badge

Why only 2TB disks?

1. They are listing 3TB as available for PS6510E (under specs tab): http://www.equallogic.com/products/default.aspx?id=8981

"7,200 RPM NL-SAS drives available in 3TB"

"144TB using forty-eight (48) 3TB NL-SAS disk drives"

So what's the reason not offering the hybrid model with 3TB drives, resulting in 123TB + 2.8TB SSD, combining the best of both worlds...?

2. No upgrade offered for current PS6510E owners? That's pretty awful, it sure as hell will sour plenty of upcoming upgrades...

This topic is closed for new posts.