Feeds

back to article 'SEX and the FEMALE BRAIN are CONNECTED' - shock discovery

In a discovery sure to stir intense discussion, scientists in Canada say they have discovered a powerful chemical signal embedded in semen which acts directly upon the brains of female mammals - apparently including humans. In a just-released announcement arrestingly headlined "Team unlocks link between sex and the female brain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

I've soooooo many comments

...... but none of them appropriate :(

Anonymous Coward

So having

So having a vasectomy DOES make a difference!

She lied to me.........

Paris Hilton

Re: I've soooooo many comments

Does it matter which bit of a lady the semen is deposited in?

Do they get different emotions for each 'place'?

Silver badge

Re: So having

Having a vasectomy doesn't stop semen production - just means there's no sperm in it.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Vasectomy

Not if the chemical in question is not produced in the testes, but in the bits the other side of the cut-and-tie.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

What's produced in the 'bits the other side', also known as 'the balls' are the spermatozoa. The article states the chemical is in the semen, not the sperm, and I would be surprised if it were otherwise.

Still, there may be a research programme to find out ...

I should imagine that many places result in the emotion known as anger, and a couple might result in hilarity. Good luck on that particular experiment.

Silver badge
Boffin

The hormone in question is not produced in the testes, but in glands that are located *well* past the cutoff point in an ordinary vasectomy, even past the prostrate. It's in the post on the uni of Saskatchewan page.

So a vasectomy would make no difference whatshowever as far as this effect is concerned.

Silver badge
Coat

...even past the prostrate.

Context-checker lying down on the job, eh?

Silver badge
Coat

Could be a portmanteau describing a prostrated prostate.

Bronze badge
Happy

"Does it matter which bit of a lady the semen is deposited in?

Do they get different emotions for each 'place'?"

Although I cannot give a citation for this, being a long way from access to my library or my study, IIRC it is the case that oral semen has been found to apparently have a good effect where depression is concerned. It is also the case that women who have eaten celery before 'full' oral sex report that semen tastes sweet. Just in case you needed to know this. They'll thank you for it. I know.

Anonymous Coward

"So darling, you see, it's crucially important I Jiz on your face or your chance of having babies will be reduced and scientists have proven you will enjoy sex with me less."

Headmaster

PROSTATE... ~STATE... one 'R' in that word, and it's immediately after P.

Sorry, but in my daily job (Emergency Medicine) I hear "ProstRate" too many times, usually from the same people who wander in with wads of printout from homeopathy websites. Causes immediate loathing. Fucking learn to talk.

I'm done.

you should just go 'Prostrate? Okay then. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!'

Anonymous Coward

So let me get this straight, the University of Saskatchewan have taken some poor sucker's glands, and ... posted them? So they're lost somewhere in the mailing system of Saskatchewan? That is a long way from the normal cutoff point, you're right, I'm not surprised that a vasectomy made no difference.

Paris Hilton

Well it has always seemed to me that the more you shag them, the more they love you. I guess there might be a psychological element in that it makes them feel wanted ;-)

Paris Hilton, well.......

Coat

The more you shag them?

Not married, eh? Keep up the good work, but lose the "it makes them feel wanted" bit. People will start to wonder about your proclivities, otherwise.

Anonymous Coward

So sperm acts on their brains gets a female turned on, ok.

So firstly how do we get past the headaches and secondly, the use of condoms pretty much negates this.

Anonymous Coward

Inappropriate but...

The reason they look bored is not because because of the male performance, it's because the insistence on condoms prevents them getting the chemical to turn them on.

Thank God, I can get rid of all those how to please a woman books......

Bronze badge

Re: Inappropriate but...

There has actually been some research on this. Women who shag with the use of condoms seem to be rather more pissed off about life than those who shag without them.

Not conclusive of course, for the next stage of the research would be to find out how pissed off women get about the STDs and pregnancies that non-condom use might lead to.

Silver badge
Boffin

The research revealed a psychological element about reproduction, with unprotected sex carrying the real potential for reproduction, while one major point of protected sex is to minimise the reproduction. Subconsciously most females still have the base requirement to reproduce.

I'm fairly sure it was a reg article that revealed this last time.

Anonymous Coward

"Women who shag with the use of condoms seem to be rather more pissed off about life than those who shag without them."

Pissed off enough to demand that a foreign government extradite an ex-lover, throw him in jail and/or turn him over to Cheney^H^H^H^H^H^H Jack Bauer?

Thumb Up

Clearly to get past the headache "has a powerful effect in all mammals on all nervous tissues including those of the brain" - you apply it directly to the brain - either as a Vicks Sinus Spray, or into the ear. Both should apparently ease the headache.

Anonymous Coward

How do we get it into their brain?

As above.

Bronze badge
Windows

Into the ear???

Made me chuckle. Once, years ago, in the Sunday Times Crossword there was a clue:

"Heard of a sexual deviation?" (5,2,4,4)

Answer was "Prick up your ears"...Most of us in the pub. doing the crossword got it within a minute.....

Re: Into the ear???

I remember a film that came out years ago about the life of Joe Orton called Prick Up Your Ears. I like to imagine the letter E being blown off in high winds and being replaced by a workman, who after reading the review for the film, accidentally puts the replacement E on the wrong end of the word.

Silver badge
Devil

Scientific proof stating us males are not the only ones that have the fiddly bits <--> brain link.

That'll be a big crush to militant feminism.

Silver badge
Pint

Afterthought

and dammit... the timing of this article is all WRONG... Should have been a friday.. ;)

Re: Afterthought

And not one person as commented on the fact that this article is in a journal called P NAS?

Coffee/keyboard

Re: Afterthought

For the love of all that is holy, they need to allow us to upvote this comment multiple times.

That's Mountain Dew on my keyboard, thanks.

Joke

I've met one the scientists involved in this...

I shook his hand and it was all sticky for some reason!

Silver badge
Pint

Scousers knew this all along

Come on, Ed.

@FunkyEric

Only if you're any good at it.....

Silver badge
Joke

Must. Resist. Mentioning. Black. Snake. Moan.

Dang, blew it again.

Coat

so....

those that spit rather than swallow loose out on my contribution to their happiness!

just getting a hankie to wipe the spit off!

Silver badge

Re: so....

If that were the case, surely it wouldn't work 'as intended' - females must just need to be exposed to it, not to actually ingest it. Unless the sexual antics of llamas and cows are more varied than I understand them to be.

it seems your experience with cows and llamas is somewhat more than mine!

Anonymous Coward

Well, LLama's would defnitely spit, and not swallow ....

Bronze badge
Joke

Mr. and Mrs. Whale are out on the ocean, when they espy a ship. "Let's sink it!!!"

OK, they fill up with air and release under the ship from their blow-holes. Water boyancy departs, boat sinks.

Mr. Whale: "Shall we eat the crew?"

Mrs. Whale: "Look, I do blow jobs, but I don't swallow sea men".

(Groan!)

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

"so....

those that spit rather than swallow loose out on my contribution to their happiness!

just getting a hankie to wipe the spit off!"

Indeed and, as the saying went, 'mean women suck, nice women swallow'. I'm just saying.

Trollface

Wonder how did they applied it

The article doesn't say how did they administer the ... drug.

On the practical side, it's a bit exausting technique, as on the first iteration males will still have to rely on old fashioned techniques ...

Anonymous Coward

I always knew that basting myself in man fat before going clubbing worked.

Anonymous Coward

Re: man fat

1. Gross, yet...

2. Hilarious.

Well done sir (or madam, if you're a lesbian)

Bronze badge
Meh

"I always knew that basting myself in man fat before going clubbing worked."

Some idiot wrote a novel called 'wetlands', which effectively was about her juices. Apparently the author used to smear them behind her ears to make herself more attractive to men. It was reviewed in the Grauniad, of course. ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/feb/07/charlotte-roche-wetlands-lucy-ellmann )

Silver badge

A purely mendacious report

designed to annoy catholics.

Anonymous Coward

Does this hormone affect men?

Directly?

Anonymous Coward

May I offer

My missus as a "control" subject, having declined the benefits of my Gentleman's Relish for some time...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.