Feeds

back to article Disney sitcom says open source is insecure

Shake it Up, a Disney sitcom that screens on The Disney Channel around the world, has slipped in an insult to open source software. The show, which tracks the activities of a group of aspiring dancers on a TV show called "Shake it Up, Chicago", appears to be aimed at tweens. We make that assertion based on the age of comments on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

freetards?

I looked for the orlowski (paid shill) byline :-)

Seriously, there are commercial advantages to FLOSSing a code base. Extensions, testing and feedback can make a project that is beyond the scope of a small business or ondividual possible.

Jacqui

Silver badge
Meh

Well

If Disney say its true then it must be......

No wait.....

Don't the Americans like to make films that distort History, you know stuff like, America saves the world, invented everything that sort of thing!

Bronze badge

Disney -- a small business!

"A small business or individual" -- You mean like The Walt Disney Company?

Bronze badge

Re: Disney -- a small business!

Did they not just open source their own render engine!?!?! Sad if they then go on to let writers and producers make a show like this.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: Well

Indeed -

U-571 - The Americans didn't pick up an Enigma until 1944. Of 15 captured during the war, 13 were by the British (The first by HMS Bulldog in '41). The Poles captured some as far back as 1928.

Saving Private Ryan would have you believe that D-Day was nearly all an American affair.

I don't have time to list the defects of other classics such as Braveheart or The Patriot.

Re: Disney -- a small business!

No I meant those such as my employer - at the time we instigated a major bit of FLOSS software we were six employees building a telecoms reporting system that ended up being the biggest print job in europe! The interface between the reporting system and Oracle was FLOSSed and today is still going strong.

Our technical director left some time ago and still supports this FLOSS project.

Jacqui

Re: Well (Braveheart or The Patriot.)

I don't have time to list the defects of other classics such as Braveheart or The Patriot.

I dunno which of "The Patriot"(s) you mean but Braveheart is mostly Aussie job (although the original writer is an American indeed). Yet I suppose The Patriot (2000) w/ M. Gibson. Its director is a German, although the guy is excused as being the writer and director and executive producer of "The Independence Day" as well.

Silver badge

Re: freetards?

Stewart Lee says it best about Braveheart. The French princess that William Wallace was meant to have been boinking was a real historical figure, but only four years old at the time. So if it did happen, then William Wallace was a paedophile and the event might not quite have been so romantic as it was portrayed in the movie.

Silver badge
Facepalm

None of this compares to the Great Computer Programmer Incapacitation of '93, when thousands of IT professionals were hospitalized by the sheer dumbness of Jurassic Park's "It's a UNIX system. I know this!"

That said, I don't know which is more offensive to me - the silly dig at Open Source or the idea that the computer programmer kid should be wearing a knitted tank top and big glasses.

wim

You forgot Marie Antoinette. You know that benign, tender, caring person.

"None of this compares to the Great Computer Programmer Incapacitation of '93, when thousands of IT professionals were hospitalized by the sheer dumbness of Jurassic Park's "It's a UNIX system. I know this!" "

You say that, but the flight-simulator style file browser was genuine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn

Silver badge

"You say that, but the flight-simulator style file browser was genuine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn"

True. That interface could practically have been written for action movies. But I find the suggestion that any hacker faced with a UNIX system rather than a pre-Windows 95 OS as their target system would be relieved... *amusing*. ;)

Coat

Weren't the UNIX systems in Jurassic Park from Silicon Graphics?

Also, I know the Velociraptors were supposed to be smart but I bet they didn't type

shutdown -h now

before clawing the servers to bits.

Colin

Independence Day

Wow, that IS a coincidence: I noticed a number of inaccuracies in Independence Day as well.

Anonymous Coward

re: D-Day: To be fair, the Utah and Omaha beaches were pretty much exclusively American affairs. They weren't as well handled as the other beaches, but we still needed them.

Meh

I would have gone with Disney's own software solutions but I found them a bit mickey mouse.

to be fair to orlowski, he wants to re-purpose the word to mean "those who demand things for nothing" rather than "open-source enthusiast"

Silver badge

There's no re-purposing. "Freetard" has always been about people who want something for nothing, e.g. those pirating music, movies or software. That's where it comes from. Nothing to do with Free (Libre) Software. Free Software is almost the opposite of Freetardism in that Free Software is about actively producing and sharing what you've done to others without asking for anything in return, whereas being a Freetard means taking without giving back.

Trollface

Whereas the portrayal of James Bond in the movies never strayed from the truth.

Happy

Re: Independence Day

Ehh, I already made that joke. "Independence Day" is in a league of its right own, Kan't touch.

Anonymous Coward

Never mind the UNIX -- that sink wouldn't hold the weight of a full grown velociraptor.

Silver badge
Linux

No. "Freetard" has always been an aphorism to insult Free Software.

It's only occasionally used to refer to pirates who already have a term of derision custom crafted for them.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Guess he must have installed Ubuntu or Debian:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/02/malicious-backdoor-in-open-source-messaging-apps-not-spotted-for-4-months/

FAIL

To say we did everything is as wrong as the now popular view that we did nothing. Both are biased, both are unjustified, and both are incorrect.

Anonymous Coward

And the Dieppe Raid, poor Canadians, I think they are honoring them today, what a messy event it was.

Silver badge
FAIL

"Free Software is almost the opposite of Freetardism in that Free Software is about actively producing and sharing what you've done to others without asking for anything in return, whereas being a Freetard means taking without giving back."

You, er, might want to re-read what you wrote there. The irony is strong in this one.

If you're not asking for anything in return, why do you care whether someone gives anything back?

Also, what's so bloody wrong with just releasing your work into the Public Domain? Again: if you really aren't asking for anything in return, what's the problem? The only reason for NOT using doing that is if you DO care what others do with it and still wish to retain control. Which makes you an egotistical hypocrite.

Boffin

Fascinating program on History Channel (Cdn) yesterday about Dieppe. Researcher probing more recently released secret docs claims that the real purpose of the raid was to obtain a 4-rotor Enigma coding machine and settings docs for them. Although it all went wrong, it makes the large loss of lives less pointless than it previously seemed. One of the main proponents of the scheme was one Ian Fleming, who was onboard a ship to receive anything recovered and whisk it back to Bletchley Park.

I'm not entirely sure that they were not as well handled, Omaha in particular was strongly defended, and the Rangers that scaled the cliffs were IMO very brave and determined men. However, my Dad fought alongside Americans in North Africa in 1943 (I think), and he a quite low opinion of their abilities.

FAIL

Finally, it makes sense - the kid should have asked if they had used krakz or warez - stolen software, but the screenwriter confused these terms with 'open source'. This is an ongoing problem with the public image of FOSS. It is hard to convince non-savvy people that open-source software can be better and more secure. From their point of view, if it is 'free' it must be either stolen or crap - you get what you pay for! So many machines I have been asked to fix are malware ridden tragedies, with their obligatory cracked copies of Microsoft Office and Photoshop, not to mention games. I know one individual who does not update his cracked copy of Windows - he just installs a krakz with the latest patches every few months.

Silver badge

"Independence Day" is in a league of its own

You haven't seen "BATTLESHIP" yet have you . . . .

Silver badge

Dieppe also led to the development of Hobart's Funnies, tanks modified for beach landings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart%27s_Funnies

http://www.imaco.com.hk/cgi-bin/prod.pl/keyword/Hobart

which were successfully used on the non-USA Normandy beaches - perhaps a "not invented here" attitude.

Bronze badge

I find the suggestion that any hacker faced with a UNIX system rather than a pre-Windows 95 OS as their target system would be relieved... *amusing*. ;)

Since Lex (the character who utters the line in question) isn't trying to "hack" anything, that's rather irrelevant, no?

In the scene in question, she's trying to make legitimate use of the park's control software, through its (ostensible) proper user interface. She doesn't need to defeat any security; Nedry apparently left his X11 session up and unsecured.

Of course, using SGI's silly 3D file browser as some sort of user interface (maybe the park's control software UI is a bunch of perl scripts...) is pretty dumb; but in the context of the scene, her comment makes some sense. Certainly more than the typical gibberish spouted by TV and film characters when conjuring with the Magic Computer. ("It's military-grade encryption. It'll take me a few minutes to break it, which I will do by typing furiously while windows appear and disappear and hex dumps and/or random source code scrolls by. Then I will adjust the Eigenvectors and we'll enhance the traffic-cam image so we can capture the perp's fingerprints.")

Bronze badge

Also, what's so bloody wrong with just releasing your work into the Public Domain?

Well, in the US at least, the public domain is under assault from various sides. If you really want to release work so it's available for free use, I think a liberal license (eg Apache) is likely a safer bet.

When I release my own stuff, I usually do it under a license modeled on BSD or Apache, but with the attribution clauses removed (so you don't have to go through the trouble of attributing it to me). Of course that means someone else could claim it as their own work without violating the license, but I don't think license terms give plagiarists pause anyway.

Anonymous Coward

Payback?

Microsoft often side with Big Media ( DRM and pointless restrictions on how files are used), it often feels that Microsoft views Big Media as their client rather than the sap paying for their software. Maybe this is a "I'll scratch your back , if you scratch mine" by Disney... after all a FUD attack is the favoured method by Microsoft for hitting the opposition.

Re: Payback?

"it often feels that Microsoft views Big Media as their client rather than the sap paying for their software"

Because that's exactly how it is. Big media and other "partners" in their "ecosystem" are the clients. The poor sap doesn't even pay for the software, he pays for the license to use it, and to get shafted every step of the way. The sap is the target, or the mark, or whatever you'd like to call him other than client or customer.

Well, that gets the Monday morning rant taken care of, back to work now

Silver badge

Errrr....you guys are aware that the target audience of this show aren't exactly those people making enterprise software purchasing decisions, right?

Anonymous Coward

Except most disney shows prominantly display Apple products, sometimes with the badge changed to a pear so I fail to see what this has to do with Microsoft. As pointed out in the article Disney own Pixar and a certain S. Jobs had an awful lot to do with that company. I only know this as I am unlucky enough to have kids that can't seem to watch enough of this drivel.

This post has been deleted by its author

Unhappy

That's Nickelodeon, not Disney...

...iCarly, Victorious etc.

It troubles me that I posses this information.

Childcatcher

" the target audience of this show aren't exactly those people making enterprise software purchasing decisions"

So Disney should have put it in their hit show "Pete's Purchasing Posers" targeted at chief technology officers? ;) FUD should be ubiquitous and pervasive. Exposure of the the embryonic CTOs in their formative years to this message is to the good and a triumph of long term investment of short termism.

Anonymous Coward

Re: That's Nickelodeon, not Disney...

Then I stand corrected, I don't pay a lot of attention when the kids are watching the tv

Stop

Re: Payback? @ Greg

"Errrr....you guys are aware that the target audience of this show aren't exactly those people making enterprise software purchasing decisions, right?"

But they are of an age where they might grow out of this pap, get a decent education and then end up making "enterprise software purchasing decisions". Or, if not enterprise level decisions, then at least at the SMB level. Then they regurgitate this nonsense and reach a decision along the lines of "well, no-one ever got fired for buying MS/Apple/ProprietoryStuff (insert your least favourite software here)". And thus the cycle of lock-in continues.

Sorry. I'll get off my little podium now.

Colin

Anonymous Coward

I wondered how long it would take to blame Apple for this.

Is this a Pixar film? nope.

They may be one day...

ICarly and Victorious are also on Disnety DX. We don''ve have Nickelodeon here, but get those both those shows.

Anonymous Coward

"ICarly and Victorious are also on Disnety DX. We don''ve have Nickelodeon here, but get those both those shows."

Although they might be, both of those shows are produced by Nickelodeon - across all Nickeldeon shows, they use the Pear logo instead of Apple's.

"It troubles me that I posses this information."

After reading your post, I'm less troubled that I knew as well.

Silver badge

Re: Payback? @ Greg

But they are of an age where they might grow out of this pap, get a decent education and then end up making "enterprise software purchasing decisions". Or, if not enterprise level decisions, then at least at the SMB level. Then they regurgitate this nonsense and reach a decision along the lines of "well, no-one ever got fired for buying MS/Apple/ProprietoryStuff (insert your least favourite software here)". And thus the cycle of lock-in continues.

One half-assed remark by a writer who clearly doesn't know their stuff does not an indoctrination make. I grew up watching Star Trek and some seriously weird 80s/90s cartoons, but I don't currently believe that talking cats can fly jet fighters, nor have I tried to solve any server issues by dumping the rack's warp core.

Bronze badge
Coat

@ Greg: Warp core

But perhaps dumping warp cores would brighten up your existence. Don't knock it till you've done^H^H^H^H tried it ;)

Anonymous Coward

> I am unlucky enough to have kids that can't seem to watch enough of this drivel.

I solved this by boxing the TV up and sending it to the basement.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.