back to article Beck's open-source challenge to freetards: play it yourself!

Fans of the artist Beck must wait until December for his new album - and if they want to hear it, they can play it themselves. As you may have heard, Beck has said he'll issue his next album Song Reader as sheet music, rather than as a performed and produced sound recording. "The songs here are as unfailingly exciting as you’d …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. K
    WTF?

Piracy??

My arse.. He's just finally realised his vocal talent is non existant..

1. fuego

Re: Piracy??

Musical fascist alert.

Just because an artist isn't to your taste, that doesn't necessarily mean they're talentless. Now get back to listening to Coldplay.

1. Winters

Except that he is talentless though..

2. John Brookes
      Trollface

Possibly, but at least that puts him one up on Bob Dylan in the self-awareness stakes..... ;-D

1. asdf

As Dylan said I will leave the music awards to Donovan. Some artists do care about more than money and fame and for the most part any musician you have ever heard not from your home town has more money than you do including Beck.

1. asdf

And I am not saying piracy is good in any way. I am just saying most of the artists I love didn't do it for the money and in many ways loathe the corrupt western money whore aspect of our culture in general. I like the Grateful Dead biz model (lol not that they considered it that way) of letting people freely share your music including recording concerts and making your money on the tours. Of course not everyone can do that.

2. g e
    Thumb Up

It's sort of ingenious in a way

You'll doubtless get some pretty talented folks knocking up some excellent versions (err interpretations) of the stuff and some unlikely remixes, etc.

1. Law
      Happy

Re: It's sort of ingenious in a way

Then instantly get take down notices by his label and/or riaa*. It'd also be fun getting sued for infringing some copyright somewhere. It's genius!!

Having said that, this could be the push I needed to dust off the old guitar and finish learning it... again. :)

* I am sort of joking, guessing it's actually free to perform the song yourself on youtube, but not to redistribute the sheet music or lyrics right?

3. Anomalous Cowturd
    Pirate

Won't be selling many of these...

Piracy by photocopier?

1. jai

Re: Won't be selling many of these...

photocopier? that so 80s dude! someone will scan these in and then they'll be up on the interwebs and you'll be able to download it via torrent just like it was a normal audio release. 'cept the filesize of the rar's will be smaller so it'll download much faster.

All that's needed is some kind of OCR that can convert scanned sheet music into a midi file...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Here you go

http://audiveris.kenai.com/

2. Xpositor

"All that's needed is some kind of OCR that can convert scanned sheet music into a midi file..." - what, like SharpEye?

3. Dahak

Vocaloid turns sheet music into music doesn't it?

So Hatsune Miku interpretations.

4. Rob Daglish

Oh, like Photoscore then?

5. Eeep !
        Thumb Up

Just as anyone can download the OCR'd version, a programming artist will write the OCR program for themselves to interpret it in their own unique way - not just accept the interpretation of others - Beck may have thought it through further than you.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

When ever I see the name Beck...

...I always get a little excited but these days it's never Jeff, the guitar god, it's always that Scientrollogist instead. Bummer.

5. Code Monkey
    Windows

Meh

He's shite anyway.

1. groovyf

Re: Meh

Each to their own, of course.

Personally, I found his highlight was Sea Change, (as opposed to the hit and miss of his first two albums - and didn't latch onto anything else other than Sea Change).

6. Ralph B
    Stop

Will Nobody Think of the Musicians?

Home scanning/printing is killing sheet music!

1. lawndart

Re: Will Nobody Think of the Musicians?

I'm going to have to feed this into the 3D printer and see what comes out.

1. bluest.one
        Trollface

Xenu pulling a goatse?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Home 3D printing is killing vinyl?

1. hplasm
          Devil

Re: Home 3D printing is killing vinyl?

It's true!

http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-printing-records-for-a-Fisher-Price-toy-record-/

7. dr2chase

See also: Gillian Welch, Everything is Free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_hZWTdc9Us

8. Craig McGill 1

Brilliant stunt but fighting piracy?

Surely, all it will take is a bunch of scanned PDFS to be put up of the sheet music?

9. Tom 7

Cant we just have a musicxml file?

Or can someone scan the booklet in through audiveris and play it that way?

10. Mr Temporary Handle

It's certainly a rather more creative publicity stunt than the sort of crap the PR/Advertising pond life usually come up with.

However this is really going to bite him on the arse if he waits too long to release his own recording. People will be comparing the work of some really talented amateurs with his usual mediocre efforts.

11. Giles Jones Gold badge

Someone will convert it to a GM MIDI file, job done.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone explain to why Beck releasing a sheet music album has anything whatsoever to do with piracy?

It almost looks to like the article is trying to conflate an artistic experiment (a logical extension of the whole lo-fi ethos) with a totally unrelated piracy arguament in order to support an unpopular opinion.

I could be wrong, and Beck has sucked for a long time anyway.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Anon

"Beck doesn't explicitly say that the sheet music release is a response to piracy ... However his UK publisher is happy if you were to draw that inference."

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Anon

...as, indeed, is Orlowski.

1. Steven Roper
          Thumb Up

Re: ...as, indeed, is Orlowski.

Hey, don't complain! Andrew used the word "freetard" in an article about copyright and enabled the comments!

You see, Andrew? Now that didn't hurt so much, did it? ;)

13. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    WTF?

Who the hell is Beck?

Can't say I've ever heard of him/her/it, I confess.

GJC

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who the hell is Beck?

beck's pretty cool IMO. check it out.

2. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Facepalm

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=beck&l=1

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whaaaa?? Don't you watch Futurama?

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Happy

Oh, fair point - I do now recall the Futurama reference. I thought exactly the same when I watched that episode, too.

I suppose some research is in order...

GJC

14. Swarthy
    Thumb Up

That is actually a cool idea.

Or at least a new, interesting thought.

With the current state of modern music, I encourage new thought anywhere it crops up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That is actually a cool idea.

I too like the idea. Pay the performers or perform it yourself.

And the bonus is that if he can't sing you can end up with his songs well sung in a way that doesn't hide the songwriter, which is one of the fundamental problems with the music business that leads to a mix of ephemeral singers and singer-songwriters who can't sing well.

2. stucs201

Re: Or at least a new, interesting thought.

New?

I think Beethoven, etc. may disgree...

15. Lord Voldemortgage

Just a load of sheet

The music charts used to be based on the sales of the sheet music for the songs.

How every retro.

I like the idea.

16. mrweekender
    Thumb Down

Scientologist

No further comment required.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh. Beck's the US equivalent of Radiohead - dull wallpaper music for middle class uni students.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Nothing new to see here, Bach and Vivaldi were doing this more than two centuries ago and their music is still well alive and kicking. I always wondered how did they manage to achieve fame without an industry association.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Extremely rich patrons.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Boffin

"I always wondered how did they manage to achieve fame without an industry association."

Fans, basically.

J.S. Bach (I assume you mean) wrote his stuff before cheap music printing became available, so most of it was unknown until Mendelssohn revived some of it in the middle of the 19th century. We don't know how many pages of manuscript have been used to light fires or wrap sausages over the years...

Clementi's licencing payments to one L. van Beethoven helped the impoverished Viennese composer continue to write music, in the face of intense piracy at home! Clementi was a founder of the Philharmonic Society of London, which went on to commission a little ditty by L. van (sometimes referred to as L's 9th).

PS: Has anyone else noticed that independent CD shops are in sharp decline, but that musical instrument shops seem to be doing fine,

19. heyrick Silver badge

Genius, in a way.

Think about it - whatever you may think of his performances, he is offering his compositions for you to perform yourself (and performing music offers you a much richer experience than simply plugging in ear pods) in a day and age when humming something is seen as infringing somebody's intellectual property rights.

While musicians (and the likes of that Bieber girl, who perhaps can't be considered "musicians") make their wares as their job and for their income, our access to popular music has become instantaneous, but our ability to do stuff with it has gotten further and further away - like the thing about having a radio on at work (why should somebody pay a licence for that? didn't the radio station pay a licence for the broadcast? what's the difference between a dozen personal radios and one stood beside the photocopier?). So now we have something we can examine, interpret, perform, and hopefully enjoy.

Well done.

1. Hyphen

Re: Genius, in a way.

Upvoted, solely because I hate the PRS bollocks we have to put up with.

We're forced to pay for a fucking PRS licence in our waiting rooms (this is a hospital; there's little leniency) just so we can put BBC News on for patients. However, because we ONLY pay for these areas, this makes it illegal for me to put my (paid for!) Spotify account on in our office of two. I'm paying royalties every fucking month, but this is somehow irrelevant?

Beck? No opinion.

2. Blitterbug
      Unhappy

I upvoted you, sir.

Then I tried to downvote you for showing off in italics...

Bah.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are aware that things such as italics and bold are fairly easy if you use html tags properly.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like