back to article Bank-raid Trojan jury-rigged to pwn 'major airport's network'

A Trojan has targeted airport workers logging into their employer's private network, security researchers have claimed. Crooks are believed to have modified the bank account-raiding Citadel Trojan, which is also used in ransomware scams, and deployed it at a "major international airport hub" to access internal applications and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crazy Operations Guy

Knowing which airport is kind of important to me

I would really like to know which Airport this is, exactly how far the attackers got and what is their motive. Or at the very least some sort of assurance from them that the important stuff wasn't modified (EG ATC computers, flight plans from the Airlines, Passenger / cargo manifests, etc.)

IArport should e concerned with their passengers safety, not hiding behind anonymity to save face. Besides, its not like they have competition, no one is going to open an airport down the street and take all their business.

1. Tom 13

Re: Knowing which airport is kind of important to me

I would too, but we're not likely to know because your second assumption is wrong.

Airlines at the very least tend to have razor thin margins. To the point that there's a standing joke that the best easiest way to become a millionaire is to invest a billion in an airline. Some airports do have competition. And I can imagine a few people who'd be willing to take an alternate for of transportation to a different airport to avoid the hacked one. I'm fortunate enough to have 3 readily accessible airports from my home. So you can bet if I knew it was any of them, that specific airport would be off my list for a long time.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Knowing which airport is kind of important to me

According to the article, it's a hub airport. They certainly do have competition. A fair chunk of their income is people flying in, changing planes and flying out again (or the plane they came in on refueling etc and flying out again.

London, Paris, and Frankfurt are all hubs. Flying from, say, the US to the middle east, it doesn't matter which hub you go through, but it will matter to the hub airport concerned.

2. TainoCG
    Megaphone

Why are we ignoring cyber terrorism?

Every day we hear about more and more attacks against critical infrastructure. It concerns me to think of the number of lives that need to be lost in order to get the attention of those with the power to protect us. Legislation is needed to keep us safe. Hopefully it doesn't take another 9/11 magnitude event to wake them up!

1. Fatman

Re: Legislation is needed to keep us safe.

I propose the following legislation:

In the event of a security breach at a facility supplying critical services, including, but not limited to, power, communications, water, sanitary sewer, fuel pipelines, healthcare facilities and transportation facilities; the CEO and CIO, and where employed, the CSO shall be executed by firing squad in the event of a preventable breach.

Need I say more?

This topic is closed for new posts.