Feeds

back to article Hong Kong tycoon sues Google search for defamation

A Hong Kong tycoon is suing Google in the region’s High Court after search results associated with his name apparently linked to defamatory content on the web. Albert Yeung Sau-shing is chairman of the Emperor Group, a sprawling business empire which started off as a humble watch shop and now covers everything from property to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Paging Dr. Streisand

Anonymous Coward

I'm tempted to drop his head office a line, telling him that I'd never heard of him before his court case, but now I know he's a convicted criminal who runs crying to lawyers, making laughable court cases.

A good idea, as...

... people who piss him off tend to have terrible accidents with baseball bats in public places.

Of course, it could be worse....

Bronze badge

sadly...

he's a big shot in that region, and the courts will fall over themselves finding for him... he can make things very difficult for anyone who goes against him...

Silver badge

So, he's corrupt and been convicted, but doesn't want anyone to know ?

And the sun rises at what time tomorrow, exactly ?

That said, if push comes to shove I think Google has more combat reserves (meaning money, of course) than said shady tycoon - although I have no idea of how much it is willing to use to fight him.

After all, he's just a blip on the radar - tycoon or not - and not really worth spending mounds of cash on.

Anonymous Coward

Re: So, he's corrupt and been convicted, but doesn't want anyone to know ?

Insider trading and perverting the course of justice... what, twenty, thirty years ago?

I suspect there are a number of reg commentards who spent a lot of time screaming in public and vomiting over their parents and soiling themselves twenty, thirty years ago. I do believe that some of them have mended their ways since then and may be safely taken out in public.

Silver badge

What Iwant to know is

how does he know that the name he typed into Google when linked to triad referred to him and not someone else with the same name.

Me thinks he doth protest to much.

Silver badge

Re: What Iwant to know is

Oh, I think the article he's complaining about is pretty specific. [PDF]

Question is, how in hell are Google liable?

Thumb Down

Re: What I want to know is

If he thinks he has a case (and that article seems to indicate he's as dodgy as a £3 note), then he needs to aim at the author of the said article. Aiming at Google is just a case of 'Shoot the Messenger'.

Silver badge

How is it googles fault?

All google do is compile a list of hits on a formatted page.

Anonymous Coward

Re: How is it googles fault?

Everything is Googles fault these days. They're the new Microsoft.

Anonymous Coward

Re: How is it googles fault?

Not quite. Microsoft deserve their reputation.

Google ain't saints, but... really. You'd have to drop a long way before you reach Microsoft's circle of hell.

Anonymous Coward

The Hong Kong philanthropist’s

Exactly what he does that can be called philanthropism?

Did I miss something in the article?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Did I miss something in the article?

Irony, I would say.

Anonymous Coward

Initiating Streisand Effect in 3.. 2.. 1..

Chairman Albert Yeung Sau-shing is petty? Now I wonder why that'd ever show up in search results!

I half expect this guy to be the kind who'd have been a feudal lord in ancient times, and not the kind whose knights actually defend the citizens, but the one who'd have them bully the peasants for every copper they own. Say anything against him and 'off with their head!

Anonymous Coward

"while the search giant has also lost cases in Milan or Paris." you're not sure which?

This topic is closed for new posts.