Feeds

back to article BBC gives itself a gold in 700Gbit-a-second Olympic vid sprint

Almost three million people watched the Olympics on a mobile phone while half a million ogled and fondled their slabs on Sunday, 5 August - the day Andrew Murray won gold, Usain Bolt ran 100m in 9.63 seconds and the BBC recorded peak video streaming to handheld gadgets. Overall, 51.9 million people watched Olympic broadcasts …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Too right

They should be proud, it was an excellent event and an awesome use of available technology.

I do wonder how much of the traffic left the UK as internet chatter suggests that a lot of people used VPN to access UK only content.

Re: Too right

You either say that the people watching broke the law, or the IOC will say, to the next provider, you need to make a reasonable effort to block VPN services. And I've not tried doing it myself to know how hard or easy that is.

Lots of chatter amongst geeks, but they're a tiny proportion of the population, and most of it would have been just that - chatter, with no follow-through.

Bronze badge

VPN is old hat there's easier stuff around, check out SmartDNS

It's pretty easy process.

There's lots of sites on Google with VPN usernames and passwords that change every 12 hours for connection to the UK. You just go on their website and see what it is.

I tried one when I was in holiday in Prague a few months ago.

It took maybe 2 minutes to set up on the iPad and then I was on the iplayer watching Dan in real life.

Silver badge

@Efros - agreed, SmartDNS is particularly handy, that's why I have a USA netflix account. just that most of the #NBCfail twitter traffic had links to VPN proxies

Also, I am not saying that this is legal or illegal, just a very clever use of technology - eventually even NBC opened up the live feeds (without commentary) from their pay sites to try and claw back a bit of advertising revenue.

Anonymous Coward

I know when I'm visiting a foreign city steeped in culture the thing I like to do most is stay in my hotel room watching mediocre BBC sitcoms.

FAIL

Freeview?

On Freeview the red button only provides an alternative way of switching between the 3 main channels, plus some text news options, so it's really very little use. If you want the full service, you have to subscribe to Sky or a cable provider. I can't see why the BBC would want to send its customers to one of its rivals, but I suppose we have to pay the license fee anyway, so they're not bothered.

So as far as I was concerned, they got a bronze at best.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Freeview?

Well firstly you're just plain wrong - Freesat had all 24 SD/HD extra channels and that is a free service like FreeView... it was wonderful.

Secondly, red-button on FreeView does NOT only show content from the existing channels. I don't know what they did at the Olympics but previously they have used it to show F1 practice, alternative tennis matches at Wimbledon and visualised radio shows - for instance when Moyles did the 52-hour show the whole thing was live video on the red button.

Bronze badge

The satellite streams were available on freesat including all 24 HD streams. I agree the options on freeview were somewhat limited but that is the fault of the platform.

I guess they could have put in some IPTV channels for those people with compatible freeview HD setups.

Silver badge

Whilst you're wrong, you're in company. Very many of my friends didn't realise that there were 24 full channels, between them covering every single event.

[A lot less fuss was made of this than the digital switchover - that had the stupidity of a multi-million pound campaign on almost endless repeat, with posters everywhere, when a quite superimposed graphic on the corner of each analogue channel would have done nicely. In any case, you notice when a telly goes blank - it's not quite so obvious when more channels crop up.]

Silver badge

*'quiet.

Edit button, guys? Even Farcebook has one.

Anonymous Coward

"Secondly, red-button on FreeView does NOT only show content from the existing channels. I don't know what they did at the Olympics but previously they have used it to show F1 practice, alternative tennis matches at Wimbledon ..."

Yes and no ... red button shows this extra coverage via use of some extra channels in the 30x area which the BBC use for red button material. I think unusually during the Olympics they treated 301 as an actual channel and may have issued schedules for it but normally they don't (though I think they used to have a "ceefax" page that gave details of extra sporting coverage on "red button")

Silver badge

Since Freesat is a one-way *broadcast* system, how did they measure the numbers of people who were connected to the red button streams? Is this just a "sample 1000 viewers and extrapolate" result?

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Freeview has limited bandwidth - you can't push everything over it!

I'm just hoping they maintain the same level of coverage for the Paralymics.

I had only two comments for them:

- They failed to use a "replay" indicator

- They left venues broadcasting empty - why not show highlights or previous events for most of the time?

Anonymous Coward

ch 4

Sadly ch4 have the Paralympics, so they'll probably turn it into a reality tv freakshow like everything else they do. Pretty disgraceful that they got it, especially considering they defend comments like the "jokes" Frankie Boyle made about Katie Price's disabled son (amongst others).

Re: ch 4

I'm actually really glad Channel 4 have got the olympics. That way, if (read: when) they make a massive cockup of it, like sticking an advert in at the most inopportune moment etc etc then everybody will realise the value that the BBC brings to television and perhaps this inane debate about the license fee will go away?

JDX
Gold badge

Channel 4 has a good track record of their documentaries about the disabled (and anyone challenging the limits of humanity), which feed directly into their "meet the super humans" shows about paralympian athletes. Maybe if you watched them rather than make blanket accusations because C4 invented Big Brother you'd know these things.

Stop

And wasn't it Endemol who invented/own the rights to BB anyway? Mind you they also did Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, the format of which was devised on the back of a napkin and the game tried out by an exec over dinner / a drink iirc

good point, although i think it was the dutch that invented big brother?

Anonymous Coward

"- They left venues broadcasting empty - why not show highlights or previous events for most of the time?"

All the extra channels were taking the OBS (Olympic Broadcast Service - the people who actually were doing the coverage at the Olympics - the BBC were just packaging their pictures and adding commentary) feeds direct with no added BBC content - I assume it would have added greatly to the costs if you had to effectively have teams managing an extra 10-20 channels + for me it was much better knowing on those channels you were going to see the action (or perhaps lack of action) and not suddenly cut to a "recap of all the medals wev'e won today"/"inspiring story of how xxxx overcame lots of obstacles ot become an Olympic athlete"/"trailer for Eastenders".

Anonymous Coward

"Sadly ch4 have the Paralympics, so they'll probably turn it into a reality tv freakshow like everything else they do."

Well, they've got Claire Balding as the main presenter (she's moving to C4 to be the presenter on their racing coverage from next year) so I think that is positive in terms of the way it will be portrayed as serious sports.

Anonymous Coward

I have watched ch4 documentaries and still try from time to tine, but in my opinion they always manage to make them a freakshow, rather than dealing sensitively with subjects. Just because you are watching something that calls itself a documentary, and maybe are learning something, doesn't mean it's not lowest common denominator trash. The days of dispatches and equinox are sadly long gone.

Go

Boyle said: "Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey - eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him."

He went on to say: "I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from f**king her."

Cracking joke, whats wrong with that?

Anonymous Coward

@Skyraker:

1) It's not funny

2) He is suggesting that disabled people and crucially one specific disabled person are so worthless even their parents don't want to look after them.

3) He goes on to suggest that disabled people are a so likely to rape that even a mother needs protection from her own son.

He is a disgusting, odious individual, his jokes are targeted at minorities and often specific individuals in said minority. Some people may well think he's funny, but then again lots of people thought Bernard Manning was funny, someone who Boyle holds a lot in common with.

Silver badge

turn it into a reality tv freakshow like everything else they do

Disability is something very close to my heart. Off topic a little but, Ch4 had recently this lovely documentary about disabled people going on dates - I thought it was great.... However, the name that was given to this show and the way it as marketed was absolutely abhorrent- it was called "The Undateables".

Not only was the name of the show stupid because the people clearly were datable (all the show consisted off was these supposed undatables going on actual dates), but it was bloody offensive too!

I am able bodied and have been on dates with a disabled person and ended up getting engaged - call my partner undatable again and I will bloody twat you one! Pricks! You used to be the best TV channel possibly in the world, you're now worst than Living TV or even channel 5!

Anonymous Coward

Re: turn it into a reality tv freakshow like everything else they do

@Linkofhyrule - That's exactly what I'm talking about - My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding was another example, portrayed as a genuine doco about a minority, actually ended up with many of the minority complaining about it not representing them at all. Instead the doco focusing on making them look like freaks because they have a different culture to most other people, or just outright presenting them all as hard boozing, fighting misogynists.

Facepalm

Three words.

Jessica Ennis Goodnight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RCgXqoyLc

Facepalm

"1) It's not funny"

the think is a lot of the so called comedians steal the jokes from sickapedia and post them on twatter or on whichever channel 4/5 show they are on....

in the right environment, to the right audience everything said in jest is indeed a joke. just because you may not find it funny does not mean it is not funny. in my opinion, i don’t like it when jokes like those have personal attachment to it, but It dont think its my place tell people its wrong... comedians I don’t like or do not find funny I don’t watch... there are hundreds of other channels on tv to watch.

dont let it get back to how it was in the late 70's 80's when mary whitehouse and clan were objecting and complaining about stuff just because they heard it was in their opinion "poor taste", you know, like the daily fail brigade who complain about an advert because someone the majority of the nation is sick of seeing in adverts gets blown up with a comedy rocket launcher, or the end of a 40 year old film has to altered because ONE person complained Q

A famous comedian that a lot of people find offensive once said something that has stuck with me ever since because never a truer word had been said,. He said that someone somewhere is always the butt of the joke,, somebody is going to be offended. you need to treat those jokes you find offensive as a tax against the ones you do find funny.

but the fact remains, a joke is only funny if it is told in the right environment....

Silver badge

Re: The Undatables

As one TV critic said of the program. People tune in for all the wrong reasons and stay for all the right one's

Silver badge

Reminds me of all the furore over Jerry Springer the Opera

I watched it, at what got me was not that it was offensive, but that it was not offensive enough.

Bring back the meaning of life all is forgiven.

*If you found anything in this post offensive then my I respectively say:

FUCK OFF ASS HOLE!

Anonymous Coward

Personally, I think people should object to things that we find in poor taste, and let's be honest calling disabled people potential rapists, because they're disabled goes way beyond poor taste.

I don't really care that much if people do or don't agree with me, but I will continue to point out this sort of obnoxious filth and say that it's not ok. We all have the freedom to say what we want (with consequences) but we should all remember that we also have the freedom to not say anything. The freedom for a comedian to be offensive is the same as the freedom for others to say that they have gone too far.

I can't say that I agree with much, if anything that Mary Whitehouse said, but I do admire her for actually standing up for what she believed in, rather than just sitting at home doing nothing.

Camera angles and sound

The camera work at the opening ceremony and the sound at the closing ceremony were both diabolical.

Not only did they not have any camera angles that actually showed you what was going on, the director was great at cutting to something rubbish just when they DID get a shot right.

I think the sound desk at the closing ceremony was being run by a student. I've had better at university.

Poor show from OBS.

Bronze badge

Re: Camera angles and sound

As an Underworld fan, I actually thought the sound mixing of the opening ceremony wasn't great - in fact, it sounded better when one of the commentators had activated their microphone about to say something.

Unfortunately that brief second of sound clarity was then followed by Hugh Edwards or Trevor Nelson making a tedious observation.

Thumb Up

Brilliant Coverage

I also thought the BBC did an outstanding job of not only providing the ability to consume the content in a number of ways and providing the interviewers, graphics, web content and much much more but also when looking at how large a project this really is to manage, they stepped up and delivered when it counted. We really could use the BBC Olympic management team as a model for sucess in many walks of life.

I have no complaints about my licence fee, I think we get a very good deal - its the best content broadcaster in the World by a long way!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Brilliant Coverage

As has been pointed out, the BBC did none of the filming of the actual events, they took the feeds and distributed them. I do agree that they provided excellent access to those feeds, web/tv etc. The actual BBC part, the gushing presenters and inane questions to athletes etc, was typical biased BBC drivel.

The BBC, on behalf of OBS, were responsible for the boxing, equestrian and tennis (I know, I was one of them).

Happy

Wrong. BBC had their own cameras out and about (at most of the larger arenas, with presenters, OB crew) and even had a base station at the park! You couldn't of just plonked the OBS feeds directly on BBC One/Three/HD. There would of been teams capturing the OBS feeds to re-edit and then plaster their own graphics and commentary over the top. Typical anti-BBC drivel there from anon@11:51.

On the subject of the online feeds, they were amazing. Hardly any buffering, the BBC site held its own and there was always a clear schedule taking you to the correct feed. Worth £5.50 of the license fee to produce along with the TV coverage.

WTF?

What?

Olympics, when was that, have I missed something important? Thought not.

Re: What?

I suspect you are a dirty Frenchman.... nose out of joint sir?

Anonymous Coward

Ooh, look, Skyraker, the person who defends Frankie Boyle's jokes about the disabled also thinks it's ok to use the the expression "dirty Frenchman".

You need to adjust your world-view sunshine it's not the 70s any more.

Silver badge
Happy

Hey anon coward, dont be harsh on him, he's probably got a disability called Bernard Manning syndrome - he cant help saying stupid outdated shit.

FAIL

It might be 1974 in my head but the French did

a) State (by the president no less) that we were rolling out the carpet for French medals

b) When they preceded to win next to fuck all point the finger at Team GB for cheating with their cycling equipment, leading to a brilliant wind up merchant (from the UK) to phone in and explain that it was because Team GB wheels were specially designed to be more 'round'. This was then taken as final proof by the French that we were indeed cheating.

http://www.france24.com/en/20120809-france-britain-uk-david-cameron-french-defeat-cycling-olympic-games

Anonymous Coward

The French thought they were going to do well, but didn't. So?

Someone in the French team/involved with the French team mouthed off when the lost at their national sport, again, so what? This sort of thing happens when you've been training for years and years, you mouth off before thinking, every nation does it. Then you go on about how someone fell for a wind up, of course, no English would do that, oh hang on, they do all the time, look at everything from Beadle's about to Brass Eye.

None of this excuses your using the expression "dirty French". Try putting a African country after the word "dirty" and see how it sounds then. It is not acceptable.

Anonymous Coward

what about "Surrender Monkeys"? are we allowed to use that to describe the French?

Anonymous Coward

Clearly "Surrender monkeys" is a joke, it's obviously a joke as the French have some of the most hard-assed military in the world.

Sorry but I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying that calling the French dirty is not "clearly a joke" - presumably on the basis that you think they are dirty?

Anonymous Coward

And better yet, those extra-round wheels are manufactured ... in France :)

FAIL

...and the ironic thing was that the bike wheels for Team GB were provided by French company Mavic! Maybe they shipped the cheaty ones to the wrong team?

Silver badge
Joke

I think you are all seriously missing the point here - were these French wheels clean or dirty!?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.