Feeds

back to article Deadly pussies kill more often than owners think

Housecats should be kept inside more often to keep them from their daily killing sprees, a study shows. KittyCam spots an injured bird KittyCam at the scene of the crime. Pic credit: National Geographic & University of Georgia Those cute kittens whose faces are peer from endless posts on Pinterest are actually predators, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

My cat's favourite is little mice, although he does tend to eat them, leaving just the tail and the claws. You wont get any complaint from me though, eaten mice cause no problems!

Rob
Bronze badge

Do you find...

... they also tend to leave the kidney/liver as well (I'm not sure which it is but mine always leave it).

Silver badge

That usually means they like you

Or they're warning you that you're next.

FAIL

Re: That usually means they like you

No it doesn't. When a cat brings you a dead animal or leaves a bit for you to find its to demonstrate what bad ass killing machines they are..

See http://www.cracked.com/article/226_6-adorable-cat-behaviors-with-shockingly-evil-explanations/

or http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cat_kill

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

My cat also likes to leave bits of mice around too - leaving the butt end seems to be its fave way of "demonstrating" a kill.

Go

Re: Do you find...

Same here, often a little "peanut" left on the floor.

Though just this morning, a dead starling on the bedroom floor.

WTF?

There was a frog left in the living room this morning. Yes my cat is rather strange.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

It's spiders with mine!

Never forget the first time our own lone assassination squad came running up the path with this huge spider in her jaws, the big fat hairy legs dangling out of her mouth! She came in and spat it on the kitchen floor for us to see and this pathetic arachnid then attempted to crawl away on what was left of its broken legs.

Only one thing I could do, gather up the unfortunate insect in a newspaper and squish it to put it out of his misery.

Bronze badge

One of mine brings in leaves.

Then mewls incessantly until she is praised. At 4 in the morning.

Other than that she is a complete menace to butterflies.

Devil

Mine usually leaves the head, at least once a week i'll wake up to find the outhouse floor has several severed mouse heads staring at me, I swear he lines them up on purpose to face the door.

Bronze badge

Re: That usually means they like you

Actually, I used to think that, although I've heard that what they'e really doing is trying to teach you how to hunt... like when lionesses take their cubs with them when they're old enough, make them stay under cover and watch what she does, then shows them the kill as if to say "OK, now, did you see how I did that?"

Bronze badge

Re: It's spiders with mine!

Ours like to keep up her chops by hunting those first big, fat, slow flies of early spring. Many times, I've seen her leap up and snatch them right out of the air and chomp them down like popcorn shrimp.

Bronze badge

Ours is a really awesome mouser, but one problem we have is getting her to drop it before she runs off someplace to hide it, to be found days later by me or my wife as we walk around the house sniffing and asking each other "what's that smell?"

We can't really give her a hard time about it; she's working on instinct. I've been to South Africa and seen this done by leopards and cheetahs -- they'll nail an antelope, eat some of it on the spot, and drag the rest off someplace out of the way to stash for later.

In Minnie's case, it's half a mouse in the third-floor bathroom, or behind a filing cabinet, or in my backpack. I've since learned to keep my backpack zipped up and my closet shut tight.

"Do you find..."

Yes, usually by standing on something cold and squishy with bare feet. Seldom the highlight of my day.

Would you eat a frog? Me neither, nor the cat.

Silver badge

unless a pestie

like myself is treating a rodent infestation with a 2nd or 3rd generation anticoagulant..

Your cats as dead as the mice in that case!!!!

-1 from me for insect, a spider is as stated an arachnid; +1 however for the cat - ours is lazy in comparison!

Silver badge
Happy

Our cats in the Mid-East used to bring in all types of nasties, most still living, including poisonous snakes and acid-spitting lizards! But the best fun by far was watching them sitting on the balcony railings to snatch bats out of the sky at night.

"snatch bats out of the sky at night."

My sister's cat was rather good at that. Bats and frogs she would bring in alive, and once she came over the garden fence with a dead seagull as big as she was.

Silver badge

@Natalie

I hear French pussies are rather partial to Cuisses de Grenouilles.

the gall bladder, because it's full of bile which tastes bad.

Anonymous Coward

My cat only brings back mice, and mice shaped creatures (voles etc), due to living in the country this is a blessing in keeping the mice levels down and from infesting the house. He brings back 100% of his kills, not even slightly chewed, due to being repaid for his efforts in cat biscuits.

He doesn't bother with birds, primarily because he's a lazy old sod, although somewhat disconcertinly he brought home a well cooked cocktail sausage as a "gift", quite where he found it I'll never know.

Rather worryingly a local residents cat takes home rabbits, usually bigger than the cat itself, hope they like rabbit stew in that house.

Bronze badge

I used to find rabbit skins outside the back door quite regularly courtesy of my cat - nothing useful for the stewpot though.

"keeping the mice levels down and from infesting the house"

Not in my experience. The little rascals bring their victims in to torture them in comfort and then lose them behind something so we end up with mice where we didn't previously have them!

I opened a door a few weeks ago to find one of my cats proudly standing by a grievously wounded rabbit (blinded in one eye, significant hole in its side, etc.) Figuring it would die slowly and painfully if I didn't intervene, I got a stick and knocked the rabbit over the head to put it out of its misery. I started to take it to the woods to discard the rabbit, then decided to just skin/gut it and throw it in the freezer for a future dinner. Haven't had it yet, but looking forward to it. (I gave the cat the rabbit's liver. :-)

g e
Silver badge
Happy

Biggest thing my cat ever brought in...?

A rabbit... through the bloody cat-flap, to boot!

Re: Biggest thing my cat ever brought in...?

Try a live adult seagull. No idea how it got it through the catflap and a foot long tunnel.

Gold badge

I recall being awoken one morning by the dulcet tones ringing around the house of my wife screaming something like: "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!! GET THE F*CK OUT OF HERE YOU MISERABLE LITTLE B*ST*RD!!1111!!!!", followed by the sound of the cat making a hasty exit.

She'd come down to find him sitting in the back room, looking awfully smug, next to a beautifully groomed and laid-out squirrel. She swears he was looking at her while projecting: "Look what I've got you. Squirrel. How fucking cool is that?".

Hell knows how he'd brought that back and got it in through the catflap.

Bronze badge

Same here - saw it trying to pull the largest seagull in the world through the catflap while it was still alive.

Still, I'm not sure the greenies would be impressed as it was tempting for me to just angle the chair towards the door and settle in to watch fight-night. Probably more interesting than anything on TV at the moment.

Silver badge

One day I was driving slowly up a winding hill and I saw a bunny rabbit munching grass on the verge looking unconcerned. Next thing a cat jumped out from from the bushes and got it. I never knew bunny rabbits could scream but scream it did.

The biggest thing my cat ever brought in was a whole leg of lamb. We caught him dragging it upstairs to stash somewhere. Presumably it had been stolen out of somebody's kitchen.

Thumb Up

Tres cool indeed, difficult bastards to catch them squirrels.

In our case we had a cat that would bring live birds home and release them in the house. Chaos doesn't begin to describe it, especially if it was a decent-sized bird.

Anonymous Coward

A friend's cat once brought home a dog's ear. A little later they had a visit from the local constabulary to inform them that their cat had been reported for mauling a neighbour's dog. Nothing serious apparently as cat's aren't licensed, so the police were just informing them about what had happened.

Happy

I've seen a neighbour's Burmese bringing back a pheasant. Evidently well-trained.

Mine has once brought in a hedgehog, we were picking the spines out of his face for days afterwards but he looked very pleased with his kill.

Although lately he's been picking fights with foxes, don't know if he's mental or suicidal.

Foxes are quite wary of cats as far as I can tell - we often have a pair poking about for bread/nuts/slugs left out the front for the birds by our neighbour, and the local long hair is quite happy to sit on the fence and watch them. They, for the most part, keep a wide berth from her :)

Bronze badge

After I finally figured out what the commotion was about the first couple of times, whenever I heard the telltale sounds of Minnie cornering a mouse, I'd also like grab my camera if I could, then sit back and watch the show.

About twenty years or so ago, PBS did a really excellent documentary entitled, iirc, "The Secret Lives Of Cats" as part of its "Nature" series, following house cats around and filming them in the style of a wildlife documentary. The hunting footage was as amazing as any I'd seen shot in Africa.

One of mine once dragged a (just about still alive) fully grown male pheasant in through the catflap.

Another one has a fondness for rabbits - eats the whole thing except for the guts (which he tends to leave under my desk). Took him to the vets one time as he had injured his paw. Vet was very impressed when the full body x-ray showed two spinal cords - the cat's plus a bunny one in his stomach!

Silver badge

My parents garden used to be plagued by neighbours cats, accept for the time every year when the sea gulls were in town, when they weren't having large scale battles with the crows down the local park, they used to delight in terrorising the local moggy population.

The real trick was to put down a few bits of bacon rind to attract more the the white winged fiends :-)

Anonymous Coward

Yeah, our cat did that too.

The rabbit was so big, the cat was staggering under the weight - if it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

He also bought in an adult magpie, which got free in the house, that was fun!

Finally flew out an open window.

The cat had met his match on that one, reckon the magpie must've given him an almighty peck and got free.

Recently, killed two rats, but didn't bring them in, thank God. Didn't eat them either.

Birds - 'little brown jobs' - a light and crunchy snack.

Loves bunny brains the most - chews the heads of young rabbits - it's damn horrible.

Caught him torturing one once - flinging it up in the air like he does with his fluffy spit covered toys.

Cats are bastards, but heck, I love the little critters - so much like humans! :)

N2
Bronze badge

A Hare as well as several rabbits, I once found a headless rabbit still warm so I skinned it & popped it in the freezer along with the ones Id shot the previous day.

Mine brings in squirrels, rabbits, a hedgehog once, fish, rats (lovely!) mice, voles and various birds. Never a seagul though.

Devil

Similarly, a rabbit through the cat flap. But a buck rabbit bigger than the cat. An impressive take-down, but a complete mystery as to how he got it in. Laid as a present at the bottom of the stairs. If I knew how long it had been there (middle of summer), it would have made a great casserole.

Silver badge

the worst is when you open the boot of your car and find someone's body and you have to get to work, do you leave the body in the boot and go to work anyway or do you take it out and bury it?

I can't compete on size (mine are wary of pigeons) but for oddity value, I found a small, almost-dead (and soon was) goldish on the floor one morning. I don't know of anyone with a garden pond around here, so where it came from is a mystery - unless one of them found a house with an aquarium (or even just a bowl).

Silver badge
Joke

@nomnomnom

You transfer the body into the boot of someone else's car. Well, that's what I do, anyway...

Bronze badge

I've seen the rabbit through the cat flap technique. He knew with it being in his mouth barely able to straddle it to walk, there was no way it was going through the cat flap, so he turned around, reversed through the cat flap holding by its neck. The last thing I saw was a bunny sitting with its back to the flap, and suddenly jerking backwards inside - followed a few seconds later by a scream from the missus.

Bronze badge
Pint

Watching it drag an ostrich through the cat-flap was amusing, but we decided to get rid of it when it brought down the bull elephant.

Get the next round in, and I'll tell you about our croc...

Devil

Quite often (one of these every 2-3 weeks) - phesants, hares, rabbits, pigeons

Small birds, mice, voles etc on a daily basis.

Seagull once, bits of deer (dont ever want to find out how she achieved that one).

The most impressive thing was her cat flap was in a window 3 1/2 feet from the ground that she brought these things through - some of them (including the seagull) werent even dead.

Needless to say the cat was f*ing evil. Used to pick on dogs, other cats, foxes, a minx once and had eyes on a peacock. Used to hide under the sofa and attack your toes as well. Reckon she would have made pterodactyls extinct if they hadnt already achieved that themselves.

As you can imagine she is dead now. Dont worry, I made sure to salt the ground and draw a pentagram around where she is burried.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.