Feeds

back to article Oooh-la-la! 'iPhone 5' bares all, strokes tiny nano-SIM in pics

Apple's leaky supply chain has doled out pictures of the insides of what's claimed to be an iPhone 5, indicating that the forthcoming mobe will take nano-SIMs. Photos of what appears to be the next-gen handset fresh off a Chinese assembly line appeared on French site Nowhereelse.fe, and revealed the presence of a nano-SIM drawer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

And it STILL hasn't been left in a Cupertino bar

Anonymous Coward

Competitors are quaking in their flip flops.

Silver badge
Meh

Sneaky leaky and it is all still supposition.

Anonymous Coward

@Competitors are quaking in their flip flops.

Competitors lawyers are salivating like a teenager at a miss nude world competition.

What micro feature might look vaguely like one of ours to a half blind person.

Oh great we can sue them for everything.

Just a surprise there isn't half a dozen banning orders against it let already.

Silver badge
Meh

Consider

The next step...

A built in Sim!

Silver badge

Re: Consider

Could be a good or a bad thing.

Good version: Being able to join a different provider at the touch of a button. Being on multiple networks without having to swap SIMs around or go for dodgy hacky dual and quad-sim adapters.

Bad version: You think you've seen a network-locked phone? You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Def
Bronze badge

I'm sure the security implications of moving to software SIMs would be considerable too. While I'm sure it's not impossible to manufacture a duplicate SIM today, turning it into a software hacking exercise would suddenly make it a whole lot easier.

Another downside with software SIMs is not being able to pop your SIM (and your address book) into another phone to make a call because your battery has died. It's not something you do every day, but when you do need to do it, it's damn useful.

That is Apples the plan to get rid of sims. Seriously!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Transferring numbers

However, happily modern phones offer several preferable alternatives for transferring numbers. The limitations on number of contacts and only having one data item per contact are pretty restrictive. I haven't needed to put data on the SIM for about eight years.

Bronze badge
Pint

Popping your SIM into another phone doesn't really work when each new generation of phone has a new "standard" SIM that's different than the last one. Unless of course, you purchase the latest smartphones in bulk.

Standards that only last two years are daft.

Looks like they have finally made a device with the screen the right shape.

Anonymous Coward

What's that? A different screen aspect ratio? Fragmentation when it happens in Android, revolutionary down Cupertino way...

FAIL

Oh great...

Yeah, because we all need even smaller SIMs, and they take up so much space.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh great...

An SIM so small that you have to put it in a drawer bigger than a micro-SIM to be able to use it. Makes perfect sense in an Apple-world I'm sure.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Yes. We should have stuck with the 1FF version of the SIM card, the one the size of a credit card.

Who are you angry with here? Apple? Nokia? Or the ETSI who standardised it?

Facepalm

Care to enlighten us as to how you'd design a state-of-the-art smartphone then, oh master engineer?

Anonymous Coward

Apple and the ETSI are in it with the scissor manufacturers.

Silver badge

how you'd design a state-of-the-art smartphone

Use the camera.

Have a massively complex multicoloured QR code on a bit of paper that you take a picture of. The phone then connects to the service and says "let me be that number.

Point two phones at it, they both become that number like an old-fashioned plan 1A domestic extension. Both ring together - even in separate countries - and the first one that picks up is online.

Point the same phone at several certificates, and it will accept calls for all those numbers, and ring out on any one.

Buy a prepay at the garage, get a top-up you point the camera at. Pay for top-up at a cash machine, and photograph the rapiidly changing screen,

Silver badge

Re: how you'd design a state-of-the-art smartphone

Not a bad idea. I'm sure there will be some issues with it that I'm too dunk to think of right now, but I like it.

Anonymous Coward

Don't you just have a look at the latest ideas from Sony and copy them?

Anonymous Coward

How I'd design a smartphone...

...I'd make it cool, like, made out of awesomium metal and extra tough mountain gorilla diamond glass. It'd help me score with chicks in reality, not just in my mind, it'd have an x-ray camera, maybe two, and it'd have no edges or corners, the front would be just like the back, except different, like a mobius strip, but a phone.

And a different docking connector, so my previous set of accessories no longer worked.

Def
Bronze badge

When you buy prepaid time in Spain, you just give the cashier in the shop your phone number and they update your credit over the network. I don't know why other countries insist on giving you codes to enter.

So you don't have to give the cashier your phone number, of course.

Re: How I'd design a smartphone...

Nice idea, but one fatal flaw: the Chinese control 96% of the world's supply of awesomium.

What were they thinking of with the new docking connector. The one thing that made me certain to buy another iPhone to replace mine was compatibility with docks. Now it seems I have the whole world of Android to choose from too.

Silver badge
Headmaster

"Makes perfect sense in an Apple-world I'm sure."

Of course it does. You can make a micro-SIM by cutting down a regular SIM. This allows people to jailbreak iPhones and use them with networks who aren't paying Apple for the privilege of being able to flog their products. If you can't make a nano-SIM in the same way, then suddenly all those networks are cut off from upgrading Apple customers unless they start buying in nano-SIMs that are only used in a phone sold by their rivals but not by them. Exclusivity of iPhones is thus enhanced.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

you would get my money !

Bronze badge

Re: How I'd design a smartphone...

@colin Dente

bluetooth docks are really worth considering.

Flame

Re: "Makes perfect sense in an Apple-world I'm sure."

"You can make a micro-SIM by cutting down a regular SIM. This allows people to jailbreak iPhones and use them with networks who aren't paying Apple for the privilege of being able to flog their products"

More half-baked idiocy. Can you jailbreak an iphone with a pair of scissors? H8rs gotta h8...

Silver badge
FAIL

"Can you jailbreak an iphone with a pair of scissors?"

No, but you can jailbreak it with the appropriate tool then put in a cut-down SIM from a network that is not an Apple client. My apologies if this blatantly obvious process was not explained in sufficiently blinding detail.

Paris Hilton

Some of the cashiers i've seen in spain could gladly have my number

Stop

Re: "Can you jailbreak an iphone with a pair of scissors?"

OK, so which networks don't / won't provide micro SIMs?

As for "blinding detail", which part of

"Of course it does. You can make a micro-SIM by cutting down a regular SIM. ***This allows people to jailbreak iPhones*** and use them with networks who aren't paying Apple for the privilege of being able to flog their products."

says you need to jailbreak it with the appropriate tool? And doesn't say you jailbreak it by creating a micro SIM?

Seriously, get over yourself. Just another hater, spittle-flecked mouth corners and negative bile emanating from every port.

Bronze badge
Windows

Buying pre-paid time in Finland

Goto any ATM, pop your bank card in it. The selection is: Withdraw cash? Debit? Credit? Print recent 20 transactions? Statement? Top-up prepaid? Bank knows your number (you pre-register it previously)

Simple. Had it for years.

That's SMART!

Who needs scissors?

The micro-SIMs GiffGaff sent me the other day are pre-perforated so you just use the bit you need - micro or nano. (I assume other providers do the same, but I don't have anything to test that with)

Flame

Hehe! I see pointing out the semantics of the original message has caused many downvotes. Trolling for trolls is always fun on el reg. No comebacks? Come on...

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Larger Screen...

...is that copying other manufacturers?

Anonymous Coward

Nope

The iPad was there first.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: Nope

And the Windows tablet before that...

Anonymous Coward

Lol how many Windows tablets looked like the iPad/iPhone.

NONE.

Mushroom

Apart from the colour and not quite as thin as the iPad, the HP Compaq TC1000 / TC1100 tablet PCs look pretty similar to the iPad to me...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonhiner/4540423971/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TC1100-1.JPG

Anonymous Coward

A pen, keyboard and 2.5" hard drive? Yeah just like an iOS device...

Try again deadbeef, or should I say DEADFA11.

Anonymous Coward

Hehe, AC was truth speakin', yet gets -5. You pillocks. Says more about you than it does him.

Yeah but no- I only ever saw one Windows Tablet in the wild, outside the Colston Hall in Bristol- looked might he might have been making a survey or something. Otherwise, the only other tablet I saw was used to communicate with my Peugeot in order to program my key fob; a resistive touch-screen affair mounted in foam rubber.. after an hour of swearing, it worked when it was told it was talking to a Peugeot Partner rather than a 306. Key man mutters about not buying version X.0 of anything again- though to be fair the company that supplied the kit asked if they could examine my car in order to fix their bugs.

Anonymous Coward

@deadbeef

It has rounded corners, I grant you. But otherwise, it is chunky and beige.

@AC

I was referring to the form factor and appearance (which is what Apple tries to have an issue with other tablet makers like Samsung), we are not talking about the specifications or external addons like pen, keyboard (Asus Transfomer like) or hidden internal HDD.

So essentially what you are saying is that if the Samsung Tab had come out with a pen, an internal HDD/SSD and detachable external keyboard that Apple wouldn't have claimed it was an iPad "clone"? The main thing Apple is arguing about is the form factor and rounded corners even to the point of fiddling photos to make it look like the same size aspect ratio.

The point is there have been loads of previous prior art devices released that had the same or very similar physical form factors as the iPad/iPhone even some with a single central button at the bottom. Apple should just move on an stop nit picking and suing over stupid things like this just because they don't like competition.

This post has been deleted by its author

Happy

I had a TC1100 for years, watched stuff on the train, did a bit of email. People looked at me like I was odd. Then all of a sudden people kept asking me "is that one of those iPads?", to which I usually replied "no, this is a proper computer, with a keyboard and decent storage". Now tablets are everywhere and people don't think I'm odd anymore - not for that reason anyway.

MIc
Meh

snore

zzz.....

Flame

I hate micro SIMS, and now this!

That's it, I hate them. I bought a stapler like cutter to do the job, but it's still annoying. My Sony Xperia-S has one, for no good reason, there's empty space galore to it's left. Yes I had an Iphone 4, that's what made me having to keep a SIM adaptor and an iPhone ejection pin in my wallet.

Why do I need to switch SIMs? Because every time I travel abroad, I obtain a local SIM to avoid paying for roaming. So yes call me cheap if you like for saving money being my main reason for hating micro/nano and probably eventually, pico SIMS.

Irony. The phones become larger, and the SIM size shrinks, fantastic.

Silver badge

Apple moved to micro-SIMs from normal SIM cards, which identify individual customers on a mobile network, for the iPhone 4 to save space within the tightly packed phone, but the nano-SIM is much more compact.

That, and it made it much more difficult to avoid the overpriced data bundles for anything running iOS.

Oh, trying to apply a bundle to this number, are you? We see it's using a nano SIM. I'm afraid Apple data bundles cost 50% more for 25% less data. Yes, they're special Apple-branded data packets, you see. Would you like me to apply that on your account? Hello? Sir?

Anonymous Coward

This isn't true for at least 2 years, try to catch up will you.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.