back to article Disaster strikes Doyenz disaster recovery cloud

Disaster has struck UK customers of the Doyenz rCloud disaster recovery service: it's apparently closing down. The rCloud service was launched in Blighty in November 2011, and is hosted in Interxion's London data centre. It claimed to be a disaster recovery service that could drastically reduce the time needed to restore …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sugerbear

No worries

All my data is safe in the cloud...

I suppose people should be gratful it didn't just wait to run out of money and some honking great repo man pulled the plug overnight and sold the servers on ebay.

Clouds. Love em.

2. PassiveSmoking
    Facepalm

I keep saying, you can't trust the cloud.

If you don't physically possess a storage device then you're at the whims of whoever does and/or what the market does to them.

Why can't people seem to get this?

1. AdamT
      Joke

No, no, it's fine! You just have to make sure they are Too Big To Fail (tm). That works in some other industries, right?

2. SaveMefromeejits

before I read this article I'd never heard of doyenz! who the hell are they. Certainly no cloud vendor I've ever known of before.

it sounds like they were more a VPC that got rebadged.

The problem with storing in 'the cloud' is avoiding single points of failure. You don't want 'too big to fail' (though that helps) you want to spread your load across multiple vendors, in multiple continents.

The chances of all of the data centres belonging to MS, Amazon, Google, and Rackspace going bump at the same time is pretty remote.

Storing in the cloud is perfectly safe, as long as you're not a moron about it.

3. Fatman

RE: Why can't people seem to get this?

Because the damagement types buy into the sales weasel's pitch, hook, line and sinker, and do not have the understanding to properly comprehend the implications of going to the cloud, except it will increase the size of their bonus.

Second, they hope to have moved on before the shit hits the fan. (as it eventually does)

3. Mike 140
    Facepalm

I see a gap in the market. A Recovery Service to protect against Recovery Service disaster.

Iterate as necessary.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cloudception

1. Scott Broukell

How about ...

Cloud Cover (tm)

With offices in Rayne, near Braintree perhaps.

4. BSmith

Cant trust....

You can't trust them if you don't know where your data is and where to get to it...

But if you do know where it is and how you can get to it if there is a problem with the service?

http://www.arkivum.com

Those guys seem to offer you a copy held with a third party that you can get if things go wrong.

Seems sensible enough and should cover for most of the cases where having a copy yourself is put as the solution.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like