back to article WD's 2TB Green giant can't jam hardness into standard slot

WD has added a 2TB Green small form factor drive to its line-up. The Tweaktown website has a picture of the drive in a Japanese retail store. WD's website says it is 15mm thick – meaning it won't fit in standard 2.5inch drive bays you'd find in a laptop or netbook; comes in 1.5TB and 2TB versions; and has a 3Gbit/s SATA …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't fit a laptop ?

Put it on the shelf next to the chocolate teapot then.

1. DJ Smiley
      Facepalm

Re: Won't fit a laptop ?

Clearly you've not worked with any servers recently.

Most take 2.5 inch drives now, at least the ones from Dell we have do; and there is a little room - Though I *would* be concerned about changes in airflow as a lot of this kit takes the air in via the drive bays...

1. Fuzz

the drives that go into servers are already thicker than laptop drives however they tend to spin a bit faster than 5500RPM

This drive would be OK as an external I'm just not sure what kind of application you're going to want on 5500RPM drives that would benefit from the 2.5" form factor.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As I don't own a server, use one or need one then I refer you to my earlier answer in that a 2.5 drive that does not fit a standard bay in a laptop is as much use as a chocolate teapot to me.

1. stucs201

Nowt wrong with chocolate teapots

Anything made of chocolate is not useless. I know it normally comes in bar or egg shapes, but I'd happily eat it in a teapot shape too.

Just don't get me started on chocolate covered manhole covers...

2. Graham Wilson

@A.C. -- Re: Won't fit a laptop ?

Right. One has to wonder what's going on in WD's marketing dept. What market is it aimed at (perhaps there's a proposal to upsize drive bays we've not been told about). If not, then what else?

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: As I don't own a server, use one or need one

One might wonder if you're on the wrong website.

2. Crisp
      Coat

You can make it fit with a few taps from a #5 adjustment hammer.

2. Graham Wilson
    Windows

Prototype perhaps?

'Prototype' perhaps? I'll leave this one to the early adopters.

(I've had too many HDs fail recently to even be tempted.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

der.if it dont fit server racks properly and it dont fit lappys then its simple,nobody will buy it and it will die a natral death at wd.simple.untwist yer knickers and stop worrying yerselfs into an early grave.

4. illiad

Its also .25 WIDER than a laptop bay??????

you forgotten your weetabix???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its also .25 WIDER than a laptop bay??????

The width is a bigger killer for "pop it in this existing kit" arguments.

sort of under emphasised in the article and responses.

well spotted, have an upvote for possibly saving a few people some return postage.

5. b166er

Ah but will it fit in a laptop ODD replacement caddy?

Soon me hopes.

6. steogede

Teapot

More teapot, than chocolate teapot. i.e. Might not be useful if you drink coffee, or brew tea in the mug, but it's hardly useless.

These would fit Dell C5000 series quite nicely e.g. 12 servers, each with 4 x 2TB (96TB) in a single 3U - hardly a chocolate teapot.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Teapot

Enjoy your imminent drive failures then - there's a reason enterprise grade drives cost more than consumer drives.

Steven R

2. Andrew James

Thats all great and spiffy, if you happen to have a Dell C5000 sitting around waiting for a drive to slot into it. Else, chocolate teapot.

3. Prof Denzil Dexter

Hmm

the Dell kit in my Data Centre all uses SAS, i'm assuming these are SATA?

7. Jonathon Green
    Trollface

Perhaps it's not actually meant to be an over the counter, retail item at all.

Could it be aimed at consumer electronics applications like PVRs, music servers, or even games consoles? If given big enough numbers WD can shave a couple of percent off the cost of these beasties by not squeezing them into a slightly smaller box then I can't see that a non-standard form factor is going to worry the likes of Sony et-al and they may even see not letting the user swap in a commodity replacement when the original fails (or a capacity upgrade is needed) as an advantage...

8. Steve Knox
    Holmes

External USB Drive

From the previous story about the color coding:

Green drives are for secondary consumer storage

See title.

9. No, I will not fix your computer
    Happy

Chocolate Teanot

It's standard enterprise drive size, like the VelociRaptor 300Gb (also 15mm), but instead of speed, it's built for capacity, you could use it to replace a tape backup solution (low power, high capacity, faster than tape), for the price, failed drives can be considered "consumable", at the moment we do disk to disk backups, and then backup the copy to tape (minimal downtime, or zero downtime minimal I/O impact), but the disk is expensive, this is "a" solution.

I suspect (as a previous poster said), this is obviously not designed for laptops, there are many other appliances such as PVRs (I have CCTV recorder and audio jukebox that this would fit in), and of course, you could fit it in a 3.5" bay with an adaptor, combined with it's low power and better airflow it would be much cooler too, I wonder if they would fit in iMacs?

Don't forget that WD are also building the ultra slim 7mm drives too, this isn't a killer product, it's a very specific one, just one for a complete range of products.

10. Alan Brown Silver badge

enterprise sata vs consumer sata

The failure rate for both is about the same in our server room (ditto sas) containing a few thousand drives.

The primary difference between enterprise sata and consumer sata is that enterprise drives are optimised for use in RAID arrays and are far more willing to declare a dodgy sector as "bad". Everything else is window dressing (improved reliability in vibration conditions experienced in a badly designed server drawer, 'finstance, etc)

That also means that enterprise sata drives should _never_ be used in a non-RAID configuration.

Quite frankly, given the cost premium for enterprise vs consumer drives I'm more likely to buy high-end consumer SSD as we've found they're at least as reliable as our rotating media with read access speeds and i/o rates which blow enterprise sas or sata out of the water plus there's no need to worry about vibration and cooling requirements decrease somewhat.

At some point SSD will eat Big Green Media's lunch, but at the moment they're busy eating Enterprise SATA's one and they've already taken over the sub-160Gb sector in our operation.

11. unitron
    Boffin

As long as they disable Intellipark...

...2 or 4 of these could fit very nicely in say the next generation of TiVo after the S4 platform, perhaps even in some sort of RAID configuration.

12. Jon B

NAS?

Fill it fit in most network area storage boxes?

13. DanceMan

May not fit laptops, but might fit mini-ITX boxes, laptop component based small boxes like Veritons.

Real news is the WD Red line -- greens intended for 24/7 use, which the greens are not, and with intellipark disabled.

14. DanceMan

Should have mentioned the new Reds, at least here in the Vancouver market, are 3.5" drives.

15. Oddb0d
    Holmes

"It looks as if the 2TB Scorpio Blue has effectively become the 2TB Green drive."

If you open up a 2TB My Passport Studio you will find a Scorpio Blue with a model number WD20NPVT, the exact same model number as the "Green" pictured in the article. This shouldn't have been hard to work out as the 1TB My Passport Studio used a 12.7mm drive which also wouldn't fit in a normal laptop drive bay.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like