Feeds

back to article Toshiba: Strong yen CHEWED our tripled profit, spat out loss

Despite a massive hike in operating profit, Toshiba's overall results for the quarter are at a loss as restructuring costs and the high rate of Japanese yen ate into the cash. Toshiba's cost-cutting and rejigging helped operating profits to jump by 178 per cent to ¥11.47bn (£93.32m) from ¥4.1bn (£33.36m) in the same quarter last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Dead Batteries?

I'm not sure whose idea it was at Toshiba to ship some recent laptops with batteries already attached.

By the time they get purchased out here in rural Aus, the batteries have usually drained to 0% and disabled themselves. I got two laptops replaced by the suppliers before reading online in an obscure location that if you leave them plugged in for many hours, they can spontaneously start charging again.

Between that and a higher than normal number of LCD / interface cable failures, I'm a little concerned about Toshie quality - yet I'm writing this on a four year old Toshie laptop!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Toshiba portable disks

I just bought a Toshiba portable disk that was much better than the WD MyPassport equivalent, and cheaper, to boot.

Unhappy

Now you're just that notebook brand I used to love

Why am I finding myself more and more attracted to the prospect of buying an Asus instead of the Toshiba brand I have had for the last 3 generations of my desktop replacement? I'm sad to say the quality just isn't there anymore, much like Sony. I could make the same comparison for other shiney objects too (like tablets). If I'm going to SPEND MORE, then I expect to GET MORE.

FAIL

Best Picture Quality

Toshiba TVs have the highest picture quality of all LCDs out there. Resolution+ was the best of the bunch of the post processing systems that vendors are obsessed with. Then they were bringing out CELL TV, which could really have sewn up the market for people who want a quality picture.. but CEVO the downgrade is still in a class of it's own it seems.

but get this. The Toshiba ZL1 is not available in the UK - apparently we're too poor to afford it. Personally, this is true. But I thought the large number of high-rolling banksters in the City would be the main market.

Toshiba continues to shoot itself in the foot.

This topic is closed for new posts.