Feeds

back to article Apple CEO: Frothing fanboi iPhone 5 hype screwed our sales

Flat demand for iPhones in Europe, and hitches in getting products to the Chinese market, trampled Apple's latest quarterly profits, CEO Tim Cook has admitted. The head honcho was speaking to investors after the company posted its below-expectations results. Cook and chief bean counter Peter Oppenheimer also suggested that Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

of course, Apple aren't the source of those rumours, are they?

Anonymous Coward

How does that make any sense? It's not the first time they've lost sales due to rumours.

Silver badge
Trollface

Indeed. In fact paraphrasing the Bard by pointing out that they seem to have been........

.........."hoist upon their own marketing petard" would appear to be in order.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Indeed. In fact paraphrasing the Bard by pointing out that they seem to have been........

and you really think they wouldn't learn first time?

Sounds more plausible that the competition was doing it for them.

"How does that make any sense? It's not the first time they've lost sales due to rumours"

It's not like they do anything to quash the rumours is it, unlike everyone else who releases the odd detail.

They're victims of their own success, there's no sympathy for them.

Anonymous Coward

How many fanbois are waiting for the new iPhone 5?

Probably around.... 75 million.

I reckon they had better stock up for the release but can they manufacture that many in 3 months?

It will make Samsung sales look like.........

Their suppliers

They work with the cheapest suppliers to keep their maniacal profit rates so these rumours keeps going on. If they identify, sue and give up the suppliers who keeps chatting 24/7, it will stop.

Even as an end user, I always follow NDA agreements, not like a beta osx is super secret. These guys have multi million dollar contracts, they just can't shut up.

Anonymous Coward

OR...

75 million waiting for the release, then it'll be announced that its basically a 4s with a couple of tweaks. 50% of the fanbois will fall for it as being revolutionary, 25% will switch to the dark side and buy a samsung, the rest will just wait it out for the 5s.

"The geography that did not perform well was Europe"

This word, "geography". I do not think it means what you think it means.

Bronze badge
Devil

Re: "The geography that did not perform well was Europe"

Hey...he's an IT guy...NOT an English Professor. Give him some slack.

He's not an IT guy, he's a designer. But I've seen the word misused this way a lot lately, possibly it's an Americanism or something? Or more likely just bollocks marketing boardroom lingo.

I guess they got bored of saying "territory" or some plonker mistakenly said "the geography" and the pack followed him. Got to keep up with the buzzwords!

Anonymous Coward

Its marketing speak that seems to have surfaced from across the pond recently. I've noticed it in a couple of different product pushing emails that I've received from regular suppliers over the last few days. Needless to say, I deleted them without reading further. If they're willing to butcher the english language, god knows what they're willing to do to their products...

> possibly it's an Americanism or something?

I've heard it said many times that Americans don't get geography, but had always assumed it was because they had no idea where anything was outside the US.. maybe being geographically-challenged extends to usage of the word itself.

After all "The geography that did not perform well was Europe" .. "Europe was essentially flat" - you'd think he'd never gone skiing in the Alps. Or the Pyrenees, Apennines etc.

Bronze badge
FAIL

If this is how he's corrupting English with the shareholders, god knows what the Apple Marketing to German/French/Spanish dictionary comes out with. Perhaps they are employing the same company that produced our Arabic Olympic signs?

Territory is too aggressive. They want make thei company appear software and more kind. So they battle over geography now.

Anonymous Coward

Tim Cook isn't a designer, he's an industrial engineer, or what we in the UK call a manufacturing engineer. He's also an MBA.

AFAIR -- 'geography' in this context is a shortening of 'geographical region' -- at least that is true for the tech company I am employed by. You will hear it shortened even further to "geo" quite often as well.

Bronze badge
Windows

Some Americans don't get geography.

I was in a fierce argument (fortunately it didn't become violent, he was Marine, and I wouldn't be here now otherwise) in a bar in Seattle with a 'Jar-head' who was sure Iraq was near the coast of Canada...I kid you not!

This post has been deleted by its author

Rob
Bronze badge

Western Europe was the main culprit...

... I think that might be partly down to the fact that most of Western Europe is in the financial shit bin.

Silver badge

Re: Western Europe was the main culprit...

Germany seems to be doing okay except it seems to be starting to prefer Android, particularly the Samsung flavour, over IOS. I'm sure that can't have anything to do with the court cases and attendant bad publicity here. Obviously Merkins should stop buying fancy German cars in retaliation!

Re: Western Europe was the main culprit...

"Germany seems to be doing okay"

... for now, until the rest of the EU starts pulling them down. Probably around the same time California does the same to the US. A falling tide lowers all boats, afterall. #eternaloptimist

Bronze badge

BAH!

Can't afford a fancy American car, much less a German one....

Silver badge

Re: Obviously Merkins should stop buying fancy German cars in retaliation!

And, in the spirit of the protest against France a few years ago, they should also rename their German Shepherds to 'Freedom Shepherds'

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: BAH!

Fancy? American Car? Er...

yeah they can be fancy or rather, gimmicky. Usually at the expense of something in the grimey bits, they have got better but so has every other manufacturer.

Facepalm

'86-'87 El Dorado. I should never have sold it.

Greece and Italy

I think I could guess why Greece and Italy aren't performing strongly. Has he checked international affairs recently?

Re: Greece and Italy

You know, if he bothered to look, I think he might find the citizens of Portugal and Ireland were keen to keep hold of their Euro too. What a twat.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Greece and Italy

Considering the average Americans understanding of international affairs, he probably thinks Greece and Italy are just off the coast of Alaska.

Silver badge

Cupertino Head Cook lashes out at rumour mill

talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Facepalm

Re: Cupertino Head Cook lashes out at rumour mill

Apple stratecy

1. Keep everything secret in order to build huge expectation and momentum before launch

2. Huge expectation and momentum kills current sales

3. Complain

Of course, there is the small matter that Cook didn't in any way lash out at the rumour mill.

But hey, why let that get in the way of a good rant?

no profit?

???

4. Profit?

Silver badge

It's true that he didn't lash out per se, but it was quite passive aggressive. I'm going to complain about this, and then say that I am not complaining, thus making it OK in the end. I guess that is meta-complaining, so the game is still not lost.

Facepalm

The way they operate is also killing their PC sales (probably). I'm waiting to purchase a second iMac but I'll be damned if I give them my money for obsolete technology; in other words, I'm waiting for the Retina Display technology to hit the iMac line before I give them any more cash.

"talk about biting the hand that feeds you."

Look out - El Reg will get litigious on yo ass

Trollface

we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential

So that the idiots will keep buying our old product at full price until the day before the new one is released. It guarantees customer satisfaction.

Silver badge

Re: we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential

I know you've used the troll icon here, but Apple are actually quite good at handling that. Normally Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened, or give you a hefty itunes voucher. Phone or drop in to an Apple store.

Course, if you bought from O2 or Carphone Warehouse, bad luck chum.

Silver badge

Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

So how long do you keep your new phone in the box, just in case they release a new one?

How is that "quite good"?

Re: we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential

>Normally Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

Normally people in EU bought them on fairly substantial credit agreements in a state of semi-denial, whittering about operator subsidy. For many of the rest, the last couple of iPhones are probably still circling albatross on a CC balance somewhere....

...truth is, like most remarkable consumer growth it was fueled by borrowing.....

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

So, as an example, my brother in law bought my sister an engraved iphone 3GS from the Plymouth Apple store for her birthday. In between buying it and her birthday, Apple released the iphone 4, he took it back there, they swapped it no questions, despite the custom engraving.

For a less "it happened to me so therefore it is policy" example here are some examples from around the net you downvoting !$%^.

Re: Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

Gives you some idea actually how much worth there is in an iPhone. Maybe $50?

Facepalm

It will all even out over time.

Seems like a pointless rant. There are plenty of people whose upgrade timing didn't warrant getting an iPhone 4S that will now purchase an iPhone 5. Apple know this, they most probably could have delivered an iPhone 5 in July, but are just stretching the revenues out for as long as is feasibly possible based on competitive offerings. I think the only people caught up in their own hype here, somewhat worryingly perhaps, were the analysts. But that's bankers and investors for you. As we're constantly reminded on financial adverts addressed to the consumer: "past performance isn't an indicator of future returns" (or something to that effect). Boo fucking hoo!

Anonymous Coward

Re: It will all even out over time.

As always Apple will release the new iPhone when iOS 6 is ready, not before,

Anonymous Coward

"As always Apple will release the new iPhone when iOS 6 is ready, not before"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks, Metavisor. You've given me a good laugh.

Remind us again how fast Apple had to put out iOS 5.01 to fix the bugs that were bricking people's 4S's

Thumb Down

Erm almost one month later? iPhone 4S released October 14, 5.0.1 update came out November 10.

Bricking people's 4S? Good story, but not true.

You're saying Apple quickly responded to an serious problem and that's a bad thing?

I'd prefer that over the bugs that have lasted over versions of Android and the bugs I can't fix because I only ever got one or two system upgrades for my fecking phone.

Silver badge

@BobaFett

It may not have been possible to release the new iPhone in July. It sounds like they are using Qualcomm's MDM9615 baseband chip. This is a third generation LTE chip on 28nm, so it offers better power consumption than the earlier generations - as with 3G Apple waited longer than most so the baseband wouldn't suck the battery dry too quickly as happened with the first generation 3G and LTE chipsets. Perhaps equally important for Apple, it also supports TD-SCDMA to give them access to China Mobile's 700 million subscribers in a single SKU world phone, instead of selling a different model in China like everyone else does. The MDM9615 wouldn't have been available in anywhere near the quantities Apple would need for a summer launch.

Even so, unless they are producing the crap out of these things, I would think they'd have to delay the China launch until after Christmas to supply them with sufficient quantities. That would be ideal timing anyway for Chinese New Year...

Apple's iPhone sales may have fallen short of analyst estimates this month, and will almost certainly be seen as disappointing next quarter, but I'd look for the Oct-Dec and Jan-Mar quarter sales to blow away even the most optimistic analyst estimates thanks to sales of the new iPhone in first the US and later in China, especially if this fall also brings a new iPad/iPod/iRead or whatever they call the rumored 7" iOS device.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.