back to article Pano does browser-thin virty desktops

For some end users, giving them a PC is like giving them a sports car when all they really need is a bike and a helmet – a fact of life that Pano Logic, a maker of desktop virtualization tools, aims to capitalize on. A PC, Pano Logic knows, is way overkill for the actual work many users need to do, and they are a risk to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RonWheeler

Please at least slightly rewrite the press release

For example. Here is the pitch from a newish thin client manufacturer aiming at the ultra low end.

Ultra low end products like this (and their associated jerkyvision performance) put people right off VDI, which is a shame.

2. Jason Togneri
    Thumb Up

WANT.

Want one set to play with. At that price, the setup is even within the range of the home user, although my primary interest is for our testing environments at work. I wonder if you can set it up to work with some sort of GPU-accelerated (RemoteFX/PCoIP/etc) backend environment?

3. Peter Hewitt
    Stop

Pedant Alert

"grabs the open source Chrome browser created by Google (itself a modified Mozilla browser that has its roots deep in the Netscape browser)"

er no. Chrome is based on webkit, which has its roots in KHTML. Nowt to do with Mozilla.

1. David Given
      Stop

Re: Pedant Alert

"The chroot has the chunks of the Linux kernel..."

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

4. Christian Berger

Light weight and modern browser...

Those are 2 expression which don't belong into the same sentence. Firefox 8 for example had about 5 million lines of code. Windows (Version NT 3.1) had 6 million lines of code. Neither can be considered lightweight. It's all just bloat.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's deja vu again already

Didn't Trevor Potts do a better version of this article last October?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/12/panologic_zero_client/

6. Tony Reeves 1
    WTF?

Sun Ray?

And this differs from the SunRay in what way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Ray

1. Christian Berger

Re: Sun Ray?

The Sun Ray was a thought through concept which worked and was backed not only by a (back then) solid company, but also by open protocols. Unlike anything Pano does, Sun Rays can now be used with open source software and you will be able to still use them in the next decade or so.

7. faibistes
    Meh

Now please someone tell me how this is better tan a Raspberry Pi.

1. parityerror

It has a case??

I agree. The clients are too expensive. The high end model is about as much as a nettop.

1. Lord Voldemortgage

This is a problem all round for thin client.

You are going to find it difficult to convince management to spend more than it costs to buy a PC on these clients just so they can connect to a yet more expensive back end system.

Something like Thinstation on an old PC comes in way cheaper, and is nearly equally stateless and reliable. It can connect to systems that require fewer back-end resources than VDI type setups too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The high end model is about as much as a nettop."

So?

The high end model is a lot shinier than a nettop.

There's no way you could combine a RasPi-class card, some decent thin client software with local access too if required, and a shiny case, for less than the price of a ready-made shiny thing is there?

Oh.

Occasionally I wish I still had my DEC Multia/UDB. A bit bigger than these, but same concept.

The StrongARM-based follow-on [1] got cancelled following a conversation between Mr Palmer (then in charge of DEC) and a man whose name I forget, who said "You can be Larry's friend, or you can be my friend". What a choice :(

[1] Bitrot has deprived us of many definitive resources; http://www.shark-linux.de/shark.html still works, for now.

8. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Haven't we seen this before?

Not much more to say really, seems to be something similar turns up every couple of years.

9. Thomas Kenyon
    WTF?

Wow, another company inventing the thin client. (again).

Sounds daft, but the Pi would be perfectly adequate to act as a thin client. And that's only £25.

1. JLH

Re: Wow, another company inventing the thin client. (again).

And indeed it would. The Vmware View client is available for Linux.

Look at the Raspberry Pi Thin Client Project http://rpitc.blogspot.co.uk/

2. Jad
      Thumb Up

Re: Wow, another company inventing the thin client. (again).

you can even get the sunray client software for Linux ... :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like