back to article Buzz: iPhone 5 arrives September 21, demand 'unprecedented'

Apple's highly anticipated iPhone 5 – or whatever the marketeers at Cupertino choose to call it – will be released on September 21, according to the iPhone rumor du jour. In addition, a new survey shows the pent-up demand for it to be "unprecedented." A Monday article on the French-language website App4Phone (Google translation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Hype

Oh yes? The usual hype and cattle excrement preceding the release of an Apple product. Why do folk fall for this? "Unprecedented"? Who REALLY cooks up this blurb? I will not buy an Apple product - ever, especially after seeing their legal manipulations and cry-baby tactics when they couldn't stand the competition from Samsung and others, not to mention the dubious goings-on at their Chinese suppliers. Looks like the Jobs' mentality is still very much ingrained in the company's policies.

Silver badge

Re: Hype

Kudos for admitting your bias, and you're quite right about the pointlessness of unattributed quotes, but Apple's Chinese suppliers also supply all of the major Android manufacturers. The one other company you mention is also notable for having been found guilty of leading a price-fixing cartel as recently as 2010 so I'm not willing to say either is better than the other from an ethical point of view.

Anonymous Coward

Do you only take the time to comment on why you're not buying Apple products, or do you spend your weekends in shops explaining to them why you're not buying anything?

Silver badge
Trollface

OK David, we get it. You're w-a-a-ay too much of an über-geek to possibly value anything which is mainly aimed at the consumer market place.

Dammit, consumers are all sheep, and it's insulting to even think that the supercool cognoscenti would even deign to look at such items.

I admire and respect you so much, that if I had daughters, I would send them to you. I would crawl on my hands and knees to touch the hem of your coat, in order that the scales would fall from my eyes, and I could bask in the reflected glory of your super-geekery...

Trollface

Come on Dave, you'll upset the baristas. They are all ready to spend their hard earned tips on the brand new shiny, and here you are calling them sheep... They aren't sheep, they are "creative"!

FAIL

"especially after seeing their legal manipulations and cry-baby tactics when they couldn't stand the competition from Samsung and other"

...so I expect you will also be avoiding Android handsets in the future due to Google-owned Motorola Mobility's 'legal manipulations and cry-baby tactics' they are currently employing by taking Apple to court for patent infringement then?

Thumb Down

"I will not buy an Apple product..."

Psst.... NOBODY CARES.

Trollface

Not everyone is cool enough to own an android phone which almost requires you to root the thing to get any real long term value and is plagued with malware and its flagship product, nexus 7, has a screen that goes fucked apparently if you dare use any real processing power.

No, that stuff is reserved for the hyper elite of society.

Anonymous Coward

Yep, more perfectly good second-hand tech dumped on the scrap-heap due to fickle demand for the latest shiny toy. Current iPhones won't suddenly stop working on September 21st.

What a sad, facile little species we can be when we really try.

Anonymous Coward

Yes, because as we all know, people throw their old iPhones in the bin when they are done with them.

Alert

Who says you *have* to root an Android to get long term value out of it? I have two Android handsets. One is rooted to get rid of the Verizon crappware. The other, from T-Mobile, has a usable enough interface that I don't see the need to root it. I'll concede the point of the carriers being far too slow in releasing OS updates for handsets (and sometimes not releasing updates at all), but even that doesn't force you to root your Android to be able to use it over the long term. It *is* possible, if non-ideal, to continue running an older version of Android on your device and still have it be fully functional. The premise of your argument is non-existant. It's also not relevant to the article, and hype surrounding the next iPhone.

Unprecedented? No.

By now, there is an established precedent for manic interest in iPhone releases. It's been that way with every iPhone release!

Now, if interest in the latest iPhone was low, and nobody was talking about it, and not many people were considering buying one? Now THAT would be unprecedented!

Anonymous Coward

Unprecedented? Yes.

The Changewave surveys have been running for long enough to document the rise and fall of Blackberry. And the June 2012 survey is the basis for "unprecedented". 50% more respondents "likely to buy" than for the previous iPhone, three times as many "likely to buy" as Samsung Galaxy S III.

Silver badge

Re: Unprecedented? No.

This is unprecedented demand for the iPhone5. Never has a device called the iPhone5 been in such demand.

Also in the news, I'm reaching unprecedented levels of apathy. Normally I don't reach these levels until there are at least some basic specs on the new fruity product, but this time might break all records.

I can only guess the depths of abject boredom that I sink to over the coming months.

Silver badge
Happy

Lost Phone

Is everybody in the Cupertino area looking for one to be lost in the bar? It's coming! Be on the look out!

Trollface

Re: Lost Phone

A horse walks into a bar. Bartender: "Why the long face?"

Horse: "lost my phone..."

Anonymous Coward

Hand goes up

I'll probably get one - not purchase literally, but through a deal. I haven't the time or energy to get wrapped up in the politics side of this debate, I'll get one purely because it's better than the alternatives out there for me.

Go

Re: Hand goes up

Ditto mate.

Buy one, skip one, buy one skip one (repeat)

Anonymous Coward

So you are certain that a phone we know little about is definitely better than the alternatives?

How did you work that one out? Maybe a side by side comparison of the features with 'no one really knows' for most categories for the iphone 5?

FAIL

Or perhaps because he knows the iOS platform has worked well in the past and will support all the apps he has purchased already?

Vendor lock-in? Yes. But everything is vendor lock-in. WIndows is, as is Mac, as is Linux, so that argument is invalid.

Side-by-side comparison? Hhmmm.... the Android has 100mhz more processing power. Let me ditch the eco-system I have chosen to invest in to get that, Sure....

Anonymous Coward

Pity it will apparently not support all the accessories he has purchased already.

as is Linux - lock in

What's exactly the lock-in and Linux, that makes no sense.

Bronze badge

Re: as is Linux - lock in

You'd be surprised, I'm migrating a Linux solution to Windows at the moment and the number of non standard things we have encountered is maddening. This company is spending a fortune to move away because it is so difficult. The data may be open and free but getting it out is MUCH easier with the "proprietary" solutions because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export.

Silver badge
Holmes

> I'm migrating a Linux solution to Windows at the moment

WHY!

> because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export.

Get it to and publish.

WTF?

this is the thing that gets me, how do yo know it'll be better for you?

How can you say you'll probably get one based on the fact it's better than the others (even when qualified for you) when you can't possibly know that it's better. This just shows that you have preconceived ideas of what it'll be.

With no confirmed specs it's impossible to know if it'll be great or shit, but 80 million people are apparently ready to part with a large wad of cash to own it...

Anonymous Coward

"With no confirmed specs it's impossible to know if it'll be great or shit"

Rubbish - we know from that past five years what an iPhone is, and what it does. We've seen the preview of iOS6, and we know that the build quality will be good, and that it will work with all the apps we already invested in.

The only 'issue' with this new model is the change of form factor and dock connector. Firstly, there is an adapter for compatibility. Secondly what is the alternative? The design does not change - ever..? Where does that lead?

Silver badge
Go

>> I'm migrating a Linux solution to Windows at the moment

>WHY!

One word: FRAGMENTATION. On the WP7, we know what we're going to get: the chances of having to hack special cases into our code for a whole load of specific device/os version combos is virtually nil.

As an indie developer, I'd rather use what little time I have around my day job to write new games, rather than creating endless update patches because of problems on handset (x) that I probably don't own.

Haters gonna hate... watch the downvotes from the fandroids flood in.

Anonymous Coward

And will this adapter for compatibility allow it to fit snugly into all the devices that have slots for iphones?

Also the point is not that the design does not change but that there should be a good reason for the design change beyond a pathological need to lock down accessories as well as every other aspect of the iOS environment.

As to the other points the question is what besides the number 5 is going to make it so much better than the 4S? There is a limit to the number of times you can use the word 'again' in a slogan before it gets silly.

Anonymous Coward

"And will this adapter for compatibility allow it to fit snugly into all the devices that have slots for iphones?"

Yeah you're right - better switch to Android because ALL of the connectors and chassis designs are totally the same...

"Also the point is not that the design does not change but that there should be a good reason for the design change beyond a pathological need to lock down accessories as well as every other aspect of the iOS environment."

...making quite the whopping paranoid assumption there aren't we?

"As to the other points the question is what besides the number 5 is going to make it so much better than the 4S? There is a limit to the number of times you can use the word 'again' in a slogan before it gets silly."

Oh shut up.

Silver badge

Odd.

People are saying they will buy the new iPhone because of their past experiences with Apple product so they assume it will be good. That's fine. I'd buy Honda again for the same reason.

However, the argument over 'it will continue to run all my favourite apps' seems odd. If all you want is a phone that does exactly what your current one does, then why not just keep your current phone? Why upgrade to a device that does exactly the same as your current phone, but adds some currently unspecified features? Is it just assumption that these features will be worth the upgrade? That's the bit I don't get.

Anonymous Coward

Not odd at all. You are assuming that app compatibility is the ONLY reason for upgrading - as you quite rightly point out, why bother if everything is working?

Money invested in apps means that compatibility is simply something that is now part of choosing a phone, however there are other reasons such as simply having a faster, newer phone, along with the extra stuff that the iPhone 5 is rumoured to be bringing such as NFC, bigger screen, etc.

Personally my iPhone 4 is starting to show it's age (button is playing up for example) and I would quite like the idea of Siri, but couldn't justify buying the 4S just for that so I decided to skip that and wait for the '5. If it looks good when it's released, I'll buy one and give my 4 to my girlfriend (I'll probably end up repairing it).

If the 5 doesn't look worth it I'll just repair the '4.

Anonymous Coward

"Buy one, skip one"

If it were up to me I would just put them all in a skip.

Silver badge
WTF?

"he data may be open and free but getting it out is MUCH easier with the "proprietary" solutions because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export."

Really? Thats odd because Libre Office supports all MS Office formats. What others did you have in mind? CSV? Tab seperated? Yeah , those are hard to generate! Or maybe some weird binary format only supported by an app written by NeverErdOfEm Software for Windows 95 ten years ago?

I bet your an MCSE "consultant" who's persuaded some naive company that their linux solution isn't up to the job (plus you can't understand it) so you can charge them "maintenance" fees for years to come as they forever fightfire the mess that you've set up for them.

You don't always need to look at a spec sheet, it's about ecosystems, apps, security etc.

I have a Galaxy S2, and I don't need to see the spec sheet of the iPhone 5 to know I won't buy one whatever the resolution/memory/processor. My wife has an iPhone, and again she doesn't need to see the spec sheet to know she'll prefer the iPhone 5 over a Galaxy S3. Horses for courses, each to his own.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Buy one, skip one"

I'm guessing you aren't trusted with anything valuable.

Go

" I have a Galaxy S2, and I don't need to see the spec sheet of the iPhone 5 to know I won't buy one whatever the resolution/memory/processor. My wife has an iPhone, and again she doesn't need to see the spec sheet to know she'll prefer the iPhone 5 over a Galaxy S3. Horses for courses, each to his own.

"

Wow. Finally a true reflection of consumerism not plagued by fanboy comments digging at either company. Marketing can promote all of the new shiny it wants but, in the end, customer preference should win over marketing hype.

It's just too bad that there are few opportunities to actually try and compare working phones (fully actvated) in a store side by side. Advertising and marketing heavily cloud the waters and most people make their decisions based on whose commercial they saw last or wha their friends have. There is no doubt that the marketing departments are doing their jobs as most people are lemmings and desperately need the new shinies as soon as a new release comes out.

I'd like a chance for a fair comparison, but manufactureres wouldn't. That would negate a lot of the massive dollars spent on marketing. Selecting a phone based on what is actually best for you personally while ignoring the hype? What a concept!!

Silver badge

If they have an iPhone 4 and they prefer it to any of the others currently out there and are used to it, then for them the iPhone 5 will probably be "better than the alternatives". It may not be possible to actually argue that a phone not yet released is going to be their best option, but for this reason it's a good working assumption.

But I am curious what would make the iPhone 5 so much better that they'd actually be willing to spend to upgrade. Presumably anything that runs on the new one would also run on the old one, so I would have thought the iPhone 5 is more of interest to newcomers than existing customers. Or am I wrong? (Genuine question, not looking for a reaction).

Holmes

That's funny, you say "everything is vendor lock-in" and then mention Linux as a Vendor.... Linux is open source, as is Android, hence multiple vendors running similar/same software. I can buy an HTC and if I don't like it I can go to a Samsung, etc etc and still expect use the majority of the same apps and have an easy time transferring my data, contacts etc.

And he makes a valid point, this survey about people saying they are willing to buy the phone without having a set price or feature set yet, says more about the people than the phone.

"Yeah you're right - better switch to Android because ALL of the connectors and chassis designs are totally the same..."

Well, maybe not all of them, but any Android phone I've ever seen has an industry standard USB connector on it for data and charging, and an industry standard 3.5mm A/V out (though sometimes only audio). Some larger ones also have a mini-HDMI, also pretty standard stuff. Not only that, my current and previous Nokia phones also have those connectors, as does my satnav, my car stereo, etc., and as a result they all work with each other's chargers, USB cables, video cables and so on. My iPod is the only thing I need a special cable for, and that gets very little use these days anyway.

Anonymous Coward

So let's see you diss Sony then -

Go on - start any time.

Anonymous Coward

"solutions because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export."

Or perhaps they allowed export to open standards formats but they couldn't export to the proprietry standards you require for your project because those locked-in standards are top-secret and cannot be given away without a signed NDA!

So perhaps the real issue started on the other side of the fence?

Bronze badge

No, I don't have an MCSE but I am a highly qualified solutions architect. If Office documents are your biggest concern then I envy you. I'm talking about migrating file servers, DNS, DHCP, Directory Services and other infrastructure away from Linux and open source solutions. These are not as simple as just changing a file format, they require careful planning to achieve minimal downtime and keep the users unaffected. We also have the challenge that it's a multistage solution with many users working remotely.

Bronze badge

Why?

Because at the larger scale Foss solutions are not as manageable without expert and well heeled staff. It's too easy to create mess on these systems and too hard to tidy up for the average IT department. It's also considerably harder to query information from for the average help desker. I've also in all the years I've been consulting honestly never seen a Linux server which has been regularly updated. In my current project this meant that the old version of Samba would not speak to the new Windows domain. Since we are decommissioning the Linux domain, updating every system is an expense the customer was not planning on. I have many, many other examples of issues which have cost real time and money thanks to open source being used to cut costs.

Bronze badge
Gimp

Actually my 3GS is just fine! And I have a 4S as a work phone and hardly use its newer features.

Re: Hand goes up (@James Hughes 1)

This was exactly why last week when my two year contract expired on my current phone, I didn't "upgrade" to any of the devices on offer but went SIM only. NONE of the devices available were "better" than my current phone in that not one of them had a proper phone keypad - or if they did, they were dumb phones, without the smartphone features which I do actually use regularly (decent Email, GPS etc.)

Sadly most people buying a smartphone in our society really aren' at allt interested in how well suited it is to their actual requirements; their primary interest is in how shiny and fashionable it is. That the phone they had several years back probably did everything they actually needed and possibly better than the currently fashionable shiny glossy touchscreen toys is completely irrelevant. Sad, because manufacturers naturally pander to what these fools want and consequently produce devices which are sub-optimal for use in the "real world."

Meh

The fact that not all Android form factors are the same is irrelevant to whether a new Android phone will work in a dock that worked with a previous handset. Android accessories are built with these differences in mind, and work with multiple handsets. The advantage of a standard micro USB port is that one accessory can be used with any Android device. Just a couple of quick references:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383031,00.asp

http://bit.ly/LLHkuf

With the iPhone5, "will my new handset fit snugly into the dock I bought for the iPhone4" is a valid question. Apple prides itself on looks & "user experience", this fits into that. This question is one I would be asking, if I was buying an iPhone5. If I was in the market for Android accessories, I would also ask the question of whether my Android handset would play nicely with anything I was considering. These are reasonable questions consumers will ask.

Apple *does* have a demonstrated desire to lock down hardware & prevent user tinkering. I've seen this in the design of, say, the Mac Mini. Don't get the desktop support manager at my office started on that. I'm not sure that would be a reason they would change the accessories ports. On that point, I'm more willing to believe there actually was a technological reason, such as better motherboard layout. If they wanted to force users to upgrade accessories, they wouldn't make an adapter.

I find it ironic that you say "oh shut up" in response to what I see as a main question people would ask in relation to this article. What about the iPhone5 is an improvement over the iPhone4? What about the features of the iPhone5 would produce so much consumers demand, especially since they say this is "unprecedented"? I say that honestly, not sarcastically.

Bronze badge

I'm confused by all the people downvoting my posts here. Are you all people who have done large scale migrations from Linux to Windows or vice versa, or just people who sit in their bedroom and quite like the idea of Linux? If you've done these things and your opinion differs then feel free to add a comment explaining yourself.

Joke

This is cool!!

This is cool!!

WTF?

Here we go again, all the iSheep foaming at the mouth. These people are no better, possibly worse, than a fundamentalist religious person. Brainwashed. Life is so much the poorer without their iPod / Pad, etc. How sad.

Here we go again. It says 'Apple' in the article so we'll get the same comments from the same commentards making the same pointless arguments about the same stupid details that nobody in the real world gives a crap about.

Honestly! You people talk about 'brainwashed' and 'sheeple' and 'retards' and, like Pavlov's dogs, you all start salivating each and every time El Reg dings the 'Apple' bell!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums